Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 04:52:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oregon tobacco by prescription  (Read 1992 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: April 01, 2009, 03:44:10 PM »

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2009/03/31/breaking_news/doc49d27a6bb9380412879822.txt

SALEM, Ore. — A state representative plans to introduce legislation that would make nicotine — and the products that contain it — prescription-only. That would essentially mean people could smoke only with a doctor’s OK.

Portland Rep. Mitch Greenlick said at a press conference Tuesday that the state ought to control nicotine just as it does pseudoephedrine, an ingredient in methamphetamine. He said he is doubtful the bill will pass this session, but he hopes to lay the groundwork for the future.

Greenlick has worked as a health researcher and is a key player in the Legislature’s attempt to rework the state’s health care system. The proposal comes on the same day the federal tobacco tax is set to jump 60 cents.

i think i'll just go stick my head in the toilet and flush a bunch of times..........

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
lmehaffey
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:53:40 PM »

This doesn't affect me directly, but it does seem to be one more effort on the part of "government" to legislate control over the private lives of citizens. Plus, it should help those poor doctors who are going to lose their shirts under a nationalized health-care program -- they can go underground and write scrips for tobacco....earning kick-backs from the tobacco industry and from the patient-users!     grin

It is what it is.......except when it isn't.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »

I quit smoking so why should I care?

As I have said many times before. If you do not stand up and support everyone's rights and freedoms then eventually yours will be gone also.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »

I'm not for this legislation.  I'm not allergic to tobacco just sensitive, but just being in a room with someone who smokes whether smoking or not is enough to make me physically gag, raise my blood pressure, cause me to feel as if breathing in a bag, and is just generally disgusting.  Got grown children who smoke, one can come in the front door of the house and though I'm 120ft away in the family room, within seconds I'm literally getting goose bumps.   
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »

Hab, I think that is called a phobia. Irrational reaction to a perceived danger. If it were real, it would be from all smoke. not just tobacco. A counselor may be able to help.

What I don't understand is how they can ban any other substance the minute it is thought to be dangerous, but not tobacco, even with it's history. It couldn't have anything to do with the billions it pumps into the state and federal retirement accounts, could it?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »

lots of people are sensitive to lots of things.  when i sit in Les Schwab, the smell of the tires makes me sick.  some aftershave does the same.  i consider it my problem and try to stay away from those things.  i don't blame people for not wanting to be in the same enclosed room with a smoker, but outside?  that's nuts.  they want to fund their programs with taxes on cigarettes, yet they tax them and restrict their use.  somehow that doesn't make much sense.

the federal tax went up today.  an extra 60 cents a pack.  the state is thinking of doing the same (again).  if it were beer, i think things would be different.  oh ya...i hate the smell of stale beer too.   grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »

I can't stand perfume oders. And some people really want to pile it on thick.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 07:25:04 PM »

Hab, I think that is called a phobia. Irrational reaction to a perceived danger. If it were real, it would be from all smoke. not just tobacco. a counselor may be able to help.

What I don't understand is how they can ban any other substance the minute it is thought to be dangerous, but not tobacco, even with it's history. It couldn't have anything to do with the billions it pumps into the state and federal retirement accounts, could it?

Of all my travels through out this world, nothing I've ever encountered hits me like tobacco.  I too smoked, about a pack over a couple of days, a light smoker I guess you would call me. Got Firefighters in the family and often go to the scene and am just covered with smoke no problems. I caught pnuemonia in 1981, my lungs filled with fluid, and literally sloughed off much of my lung capacity.  Since then tobacco has just been hell on me.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »

What I love is they're getting an income stream off of something they want us to stop doing (I don't smoke, but I did).  So what happens if everyone suddenly stops?  Where does the money come from - because you know darned well they aren't spending that money on smoking-related issues.   rolleyes

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »

i know where it will come from, and that 250,000.00 tax cap won't apply!

i have an idea.  how about and obesity tax.  they say obesity costs the medical world as much as tobacco does.  what if you were charged per pound over your recommended BMI?  it could even be a graduated tax so that slightly overweight people didn't get hit to hard.  10% for the 1st 10 pounds, 20% for the next 10, etc.  people can control how much tax they pay by how much food they put in their mouth.  should be just as easy as not smoking!

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:17 PM »

Kathy, that would not work at all. Most politicians would have to pay taxes then. There's no way they are going to let that happen.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »

Hmmm...who's going to pay for all of the programs that tobacco products fund when all the smoking suckers are dead or quit...

We won't need those health care programs then so we won't need funding and we can let those programs die, right...RIGHT??

Fat tax...hmm...not hidden enough.  More likely to have a "Universal big mac fee" on hamburgers that the fast food restaurants will have to pay but won't be allowed to charge the customers as a tax.  That would be Al Gore's way.  Wait a minute...he's already trying that again with carbon cap and trade....

Rick
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »

i know where it will come from, and that 250,000.00 tax cap won't apply!

i have an idea.  how about and obesity tax.  they say obesity costs the medical world as much as tobacco does.  what if you were charged per pound over your recommended BMI?  it could even be a graduated tax so that slightly overweight people didn't get hit to hard.  10% for the 1st 10 pounds, 20% for the next 10, etc.  people can control how much tax they pay by how much food they put in their mouth.  should be just as easy as not smoking!
Kathy please don't give them more ideas grin

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
the kid
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »

I heard that after they get rid of the smokers the next thing they are going after is the people that wear perfume and after shave ....   now that I can see more then the smokers ...   Have you ever went some place and got knocked over by someones  perfume that left a hour ago ..
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:54 AM »

I have to file this one under Stupidity, specifically: There ought to be a law...

I say lets go back to having limited legislative sessions in both National and State Capitals.  States are limited to a 60 day legislature per year and the National  is limited to 120 days per year.
I think we'd see a lot less of bad legislation, full time politicians, special interest lobbiests, Hearings of one kind or another, and fact finding missions.  In the process we'd save billions on smaller government and balancing the budget would again become possible.

I propose we replace the air fresheners in our cars with TEA BAGS!  What do you Say?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 04:53:03 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090402/ap_on_go_co/fda_tobacco

WASHINGTON – Anti-smoking forces won a long-awaited victory Thursday as the House passed legislation that would give the federal government key controls over the tobacco industry for the first time.

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »

this is what happens when you send tea bags.  if we send enough, maybe all will leave?

http://www.wmur.com/news/19068098/detail.html

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next