Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 01:11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News today  (Read 876 times)
Delmer
House Bee

Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

« on: March 26, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510761,00.html

Four people in La Mesa, Calif. are recovering in the hospital after being attacked by a swarm of “killer” bees.

A 79-year-old woman was stung 30 to 50 times by the Africanized bees. Her 82-year-old husband was stung 20 times, San Diego 6 News reported Thursday.

The two other victims include a 36-year-old woman and her 5-year-old son.

The La Mesa Fire Department and a professional beekeeper were called in to destroy the hive located on the roof of a house.

"They (the bees) have a bad attitude,” beekeeper Mike Zito told the news station. “They're a lot more aggressive, and they're a lot more territorial."

Firemen used a fire extinguisher with soapy water to “neutralize” the hive.

On Saturday, a 53-year-old man was hospitalized after being stung "a couple thousand times" in what authorities are calling the worst bee attack around Las Vegas in 20 years.

Clark County Fire Department spokesman Scott Allison said the man accidentally disturbed a nest of "killer" bees when he overturned a boulder while operating a backhoe.

The man was listed in stable condition Monday in the intensive care unit at St. Rose Dominican Hospital-Siena campus.

While not native to the U.S., Africanized bees are well established in southern Nevada.

In 2000, a 77-year-old Las Vegas woman was stung about 500 times and survived. In 2003, a horse in Pahrump died after being attacked.

Allison says he has been with the department for 20 years, and can't recall such a bad attack around Las Vegas.

I'm starting my beekeeping journey this spring with two hives of Italians-  Given this news my wife is now pretty concerned.  I had been telling her that this is rare, and shouldn't be a problem.  Is there any way to tell if a colony has become 'a killer' other than the hive becomes aggresive?  Thanks
tlynn
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »

Tell her not to be concerned.  It's like a plane crash when it hits the news - makes flying sound pretty scary, but the liklihood of any of us wandering into an aggressive hive and getting stung to death has to be as remote as being killed in a plane crash.

It would be interesting to know if the bees were actually tested for African genes.  They have to look at DNA markers to confirm it.  I think most people are pre-disposed to calling an attack Africanized bees or killer bees, especially journalists.  I'm sure Brendhan has some thoughts here...

I know some folks on this site have had very hot hive experiences and solved them within a couple months by requeening.  At least for me, I have Italians and Russians and they are all very polite.  I can mow the lawn around them without any interest.  That's not to say they can't change, yet mine are in close proximity to our outdoor activities and we have had no aggressiveness, even with large honey stores in fall.  I respect the area in front of the hives and have no problems. 
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »

I've been beekeeping for 50 years and I've only run into one hive that behaved in that aggressive of manor.  I was stung 379 times and obviously survived.  I was 14 at the time and was hired to Super a ladies bee hive.  After my experience (they chased me 2 blocks down the street) she had them destroyed by the State Bee Inspector.

Once in 50 years, I'd classify that as rare, considering how much a beekeeper works with bees on an annual basis.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
TimLa
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:16 PM »

When I was a kid (let's say 1968), well before the whole AHB issue, my neighbor up the street had a hive in an old treehouse in the driveway.  I can recall climbing up there with their son, in shorts and flip-flops, and taking the cover off and watching them.  Never got stung.

Later that year, the mother was stung many times in her kitchen and had to go to the hospital.  The kitchen window was about 50 feet from, and even with the hive, and the window was open.  The theory was that it was her hairspray.

But it sure wasn't africanized bees.

The media is just not a very good source of the truth.  News, yes.  Truth, hardly.

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »

Delmar, show her the site below. Truth is, except for a very rare event, like almost never, these type things do not happen outside AHB areas.

I know from recent discussions here on beemaster some will want you to think this stuff happens everywhere, but it does not.

I'm collecting all the vicious sting events for this year. And I'm betting 99% are from areas already taken over by AHB.

Your wife's fear is not warranted. The map is two years old, so probably missing some areas.

Click on the smaller map to enlarge it.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/IS/pr/2007/070209.htm

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Delmer
House Bee

Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:09:01 AM »

Thanks for the repsonses.  I think I'll be fine- I'm expecting a few stings anyway.  I appreciate the link

Cheers
Danny
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:13:03 AM »

You are in NC --- no worry @ this time  Smiley. Maybe later  Cry!

John 3:16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next