Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 02, 2014, 05:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going in for surgery tomorrow!  (Read 2212 times)
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« on: March 25, 2009, 10:39:44 PM »

I'm having my carpal tunnel release surgery tomorrow on my left hand.  My right hand will be in a couple weeks.  This is the first time I've ever had surgery and I'm totally freaked.  So this will be the last time I post here on the boards for a little while until my hands get better.  I'll try and get on ventrilo since that doesn't require use of my hands.  smiley

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »

let us know the details  smiley.  i am going to have to have it done also, but putting it off.......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »

Sean, you will be in my prayers.  Let me know if you or Amanda need anything. We will be in FL 29th-5th but after that I am available!  Surgery sucks..had both shoulders rooto-rootered 10 years ago.  Once you start feeling a bit better sitting around not doing anything will drive you bonkers! J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
alfred
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:16:15 AM »

Kathy,

Before getting carpal tunnel surgury be sure to try other less invasive options. Often a good physical therapist or massage therapist or a Rolfer can help without surgery. Often surgery is only temporarily sucsessful. If you do decide on surgury make sure to follow it with plenty of good PT. the problem with any type of repeditive stress syndrome is that the patient allmost always returns to doing the activity which caused the problem, so it comes back. In the case of CTS the transverse ligament is released ( read cut) by the surgeon which releives the pressure in the tunnel caused by chronic inflamation. If the patient returns to the same activity then the inflamation causes more compression until the problem comes back but now there is no more transverse ligament to release,( actually the surgery can be done twice on each wrist because there are two parts to the transverse ligament structure), so it becomes a more difficult problem to deal with.

A good Massage Therapist can remedy the problem using a number of techniques. Some designed to reduce the tightness in the surounding musculature thereby reducing compression. Some designed to reduce the inflamation. Some designed to renew proper muscle function and increase flexibility. The next stage is to design a regular strength and flexibility program to keep the problem from coming back.

Here is some more info:
http://www.alfredsmassage.com/carpaltunnel.html

Sean,
You will be in my prayers for a sucessful surgury and a speedy recovery.

Alfred
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »

good luck with it I just had surgery on my elbow back in Jan. so I know what you'll be going through

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:23:33 AM »

good luck with it I just had surgery on my elbow back in Jan. so I know what you'll be going through

Me too, I had my left Ulnar nerve roto-routered a  few years ago, this year it's the right arms turn.  Anytime I keep it in a bent position for more than two minutes it goes pins and needles.,,keeps me awake at night too.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »

im home.  can only type with one hand.  surgery went great and i have minimal pain.  can already feel my thumb again for the first time in months!

sean kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »

im home.  can only type with one hand.  surgery went great and i have minimal pain.  can already feel my thumb again for the first time in months!

sean kelly

Gratz on the surgery Good Luck on your road to recovery

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:19:28 PM »

My favorite part of the surgery is the stuff they shoot into you right before you fall asleep! ITS GREAT!!
your friend,
john

vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »

My favorite part of the surgery is the stuff they shoot into you right before you fall asleep! ITS GREAT!!
your friend,
john

Stoner afro evil afro evil afro evil

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:00:53 AM »

Good luck with it Sean.
A few years back I had surgery on my foot, at the time there was a big headline about doctors operating on the wrong limb and so forth. So to avoid this I wrote "wrong foot" on the opposite foot with a sharpie so there would be no confusion. Since your having it on both I guess you can skip writing on your hand for the first go round, it wouldn t matter if they cut your right first grin

Keith
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »

glad it went well.  let us know how the rehab goes.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »

Sean:

You truly do have the nfamous Truck Driver's Disease - glad the surgery went well and relative painful. Having your thumb coming back alone has got to be a releif.

JohnnyBF:

You know, if you weren't so messed up on "Hospital goofballs" you might have got a nurse to slip you a bottle or two just to stop her from peeing herself laughing with you  grin

I'm still postponing hernia surgery (same as JBF) but seeing him whacked like a Sapranos hit (a Beemaster original metaphore) I can't wait for THAT magic juice myself - I just wish that the stuff that puts you under took longer to do so...

I always remember on the honeymooners when Ed Norton is Hypnotised and he counts down from 100 "100... 99...98...3... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" That's the shame of it all - if you are in need of immediately being put out, do it - but if you can enjoy the buzz before all or any recovery pain you'll have later, why not enjoy it a minute or two!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 05:22:29 AM »

thanks everyone for all your support.  im doin ok but the pain is worse now than it was day one.  aches a lot, but that makes sense.  itches like mad but the doc says to not touch the splint or bandages.

i tried massage and it didnt work.  waste of money.  my disease was too advanced.  if i waited any longer i would of had permant nerve dammage.

jody, i might need your help with my bees.  got to put feeders back on again.  we still goin to the pierce co beeks meet on the 6th?  can you drive?

thanks again guys.  i'll keep you posted with my progress.  will be going in for my right hand soon too.  ugh.

blessings!

sean kelly

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »

Glad you have relief now Sean.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:15 AM »

Sean are you right or left handed. I hurt my right hand and couldn't use it for a week awhile back. I'm right handed and had to do every thing with my left a hole new world.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »

I will be back the 5th, already did my tests **shock**  Of course I'll drive!  The second & 3rd days are always worse than the 1st cause when they do the surgery they inject pain killers, anti bleeding stuff right into where they are working + you are pretty doped up from surgery meds.  They also move your limbs in ways not natural to you so they can get to what they need to do..My whole body always felt like they played hackey sack with me not just the surgery site!  Take it easy & see you on the 6th!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 12:09:56 PM »

sounds like i'm about where you were, sean. now the pain is going up to my shoulder and i'm not doing free weights anymore.  dropping cups of coffee is ok.  dropping weights is not.
 smiley

keep us up to date with the gory details please!! 

Alexis de Tocqueville
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »

Hey guys!

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but I've had a few people ask me for a follow up to my surgeries!
The previous posts were for my left hand.  I didn't post anything after I had my right hand done and pretty much went on a small hiatus from the forum (sorry everyone!).

Both surgeries were a HUGE success.  Even though I was an overweight smoking truck driver, my physical therapists and surgeon said they've never seen an open hand carpal tunnel surgery heal so perfectly and quick, let alone with both hands!

My surgery was at the beginning of March and I finished physical therapy in June.  Work was pretty horrible doing light duty.  They would only work me 40 hours a week and I depend on overtime pay in the work I do.  But at least I had work and an income.  I was very happy to make it back to driving full time.  Getting used to using my hands again was very difficult.  I didn't have the gripping strength that I had before and at times I still surprise myself when I grab something (like the fuel pump nozzle at a gas station).

The tendon that basically holds the palm of the hand together was severed to allow pressure on the nerve to be released.  So now on both my hands that nerve is exposed to pretty much anything I touch.  When I push off of something or press down or whatever, I sometimes pinch that nerve and it shoots me through the roof!!!

Almost a year later, you can barely see the scars.  They really show up when my hands are hot or wet (like after a shower).  I have no carpal tunnel pain and all sensations came back.  Sleeping has never been better.  I can go all night without my hands waking me up.  All in all, I feel as if I've been cured.

Thanks go to the folks at Northwest Orthopedics, my surgeon Dr. Neville Lewis, and all the gals at Northwest Hand Therapy (they give you a "graduation" present of a T-shirt that has their company logo on the front and on the back it says "Get a Grip!"  lol).

If you're gunna go though carpal tunnel release surgery and have any questions, I'll be happy to talk.  Just send me a PM here on the bee forum.

Thanks for all your support guys!  You're the reason I keep coming back here!!!!

Sean Kelly

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next