Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 11:36:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well my contractor showed up early and screwed me  (Read 1519 times)
Keith13
Super Bee

« on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »

Yesterday I was sitting in the office when I received a call from my sister. She told me the contractor was spraying my fields. I almost ran over the lady in the office next to me as I sprinted out the office. I was on the phone trying to reach him the whole time it took me to drive over to my fields. When I couldn’t get him on the phone I sent my sister to stop him until I could get there. When I finally got there he had already sprayed 2/3 of my fields. The one thing that I guess worked out in my favor was the fact he started in the front and made his way to the back. My sister was able to stop him before he crossed into the back and sprayed near my hives. Hopefully enough clover will be left around my hives that my bees will not forage the sprayed areas. It’s a shame though I worked out a deal with the forester in charge of my contract to not need to spray my fields the previous Friday. I knew my contractor was coming to spray the week of the 30th, and I was going to call him this week. But due to the rain that is set to come he sent his crews out early unbeknownst to me. If I had just gave the guy a call last week instead of waiting it might all have been avoided. Hopefully my bees will not experience any ill effects.

Keith
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:59:27 AM »

You hired a horticulturist to spray your fields for what with what? Does he have your phone number now so he can call you before he sprays again?

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:22:26 AM »

He sprayed oust on the fields. I am putting all my fields into the CRP program and one of the stipulations of the contract is to spray after the trees have been planted. Well  I had my government forester agree not to require spraying and was due to call my forestry management company but he showed up early. I will know the damage by tomorrow. I talked to the contractor and he was convinced oust does no damage to bees. I have been on-line reading journals and have yet to find any legitimate claims against the spray. Also he sprayed late in the evening hopefully the girls were not out to long in it.

Keith
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:35:10 AM »

Good luck, let us know how you do.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »

hopefully it's like the roundup.  once it's dry, the bees are not bothered by it.  to bad about the clover....

what does this program do?  is it a state thing?  i have not  heard of it.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »

He should have called first. I don't like the CRP program it's just another way for the government too tell you what to do with a little pay evil evil evil Keith there is a fish hook in every sandwitch they give you huh

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:44:09 PM »

hopefully it's like the roundup.  once it's dry, the bees are not bothered by it.  to bad about the clover....

what does this program do?  is it a state thing?  i have not  heard of it.

CRP is a program the federal govt' offers to rotate crop land and restore it to wilderness. At the end of last year due to the hurricanes our farmer that leases our land was going out of business. We had a few other options as far as farmers go but decided to enroll in the conservation reserve program it pays far more than the large farmers were willing to pay. This way my sister and I can combine our lands and have a large tract to hunt,  and do what ever with. My sister moved her whole family out there a couple of years ago. She has 3 girls and all day long they run through the fields and play. When they lived in the city they never left the house. Irwin I agree about the govt telling me what to do with my land trust me that was a hard pill to swallow, but the forester that manages my property is a man that has a wealth of common sense so he is able to help me work through the red tape. Just this past week my contract stated i must spray but I showed him where we were going to keep the area between the trees bushhogged 2xs a year and he said very well don't spray. So far it has been pretty painless until the spraying of course.

Keith
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »

How is it called "wilderness" when you are bushhogging it?

If the farmer can not to use the property anymore, would not the land go back to wilderness over time if nobody worked the land anymore?

And why are (I'll assume) tax dollars paying for something that nature does nicely over time?

I'm asking because I know nothing of the program.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »

How is it called "wilderness" when you are bushhogging it?

If the farmer can not to use the property anymore, would not the land go back to wilderness over time if nobody worked the land anymore?

And why are (I'll assume) tax dollars paying for something that nature does nicely over time?

I'm asking because I know nothing of the program.

You have to bush hog it so the trees are not suffocated by the weeds but after 2 years you can quit unless you just enjoy bushhogging

Yes tax dollar are paying to do what nature can do but I bet I can space my trees better than a bird or squirrel. If you don't like that your taxes are paying for it write your congressman.

Here's the kicker at the end of the contract I can log/harvest the land then re enroll it into the program to help the land recover from the logging operation. ain't it beautiful

Keith
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »

. ain't it beautiful

Keith

Keith,
Yes, it is beautiful. I knew as soon as I read the headlines, I would be all giddy. You see, I think it is beautiful when someone loses something, and I may benefit.

Ignorance on your contractors part, may cause you to lose your bees, and perhaps this may be a boost for my business....  banana devil Maybe not directly, but perhaps indirectly. More demand more sales!

Of course I'm kidding. I take no pleasure in benefitting from another persons loss, anymore than I think I should reach into my neighbors pockets for some cash.

I guess ignorance on the contractors part, or the ignorance on the governments taxing, both equate into someone losing something, and another person benefitting. When one person thinks it's beautiful about getting someone Else's tax money, and is all smiling about it...I find it absolutely ironic that the same person can seek sympathy from others for a loss he has.

I would rather not have you be effected by someone Else's ignorance, anymore than I would want to get money taken from another.

I won't write my congressman. Seems most of congress and half of all people enjoy taking money from others and slipping into their pockets. Nothing can change government without changing the people first. So I'll just comment about such programs and the waste and abuse they normally entail.

I wish you well Keith.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 04:22:44 PM by BjornBee » Logged

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »

Well I think I will leave that one alone:-* tongue

Keith
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:10:24 PM by keith13 » Logged
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:29:59 AM »

The aftermath of the spraying

Keith
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:44 AM »

The aftermath of the spraying

Keith

Is there something wrong with my eyes, I didn't thing returning something to "wilderness" would look so devistated?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »

Brian what the picture fails to show are the trees that are just beginnings to bud out. The clover was so thick where he did not spray that it is starting to overtake the trees. Next year it should look as if a forest is ready to grow back, i think

Keith
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »

having bee's like I do I would not let anything near a clover field like that one, look at all the clover that died, I am sure you have your reason Keith and I stand behind you on it but all that clover, what a harvest it could have been, that field could make some serious C-Notes come honey time!!!! don't let them spray anymore, that clover that is left will leach over there again in some years.

one thing I noticed about a few of my out yards I started putting bee's on four years ago, they had hardly no clover when I started bee's there, now them fields is building up nice since the bee's been there, might get to increase hive counts on a few next year, this is the acreage of my out yards, 600,100,110,190,400,90, and about 50 here at the house. clover is growing fast in all area's  grin 

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next