Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 08:16:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting inspection  (Read 899 times)
crowhammer
New Bee

« on: March 22, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »

So today I opened the hives I split the other day. While I was gone the queen must have swarmed. One hive was queenless and I don't think they were on their way to raising one. But the other, That was the interesting one. I popped the lid and there was a queen, all by herself. Just sitting on top of an empty frame in an empty super, all by herself. I picked up the super and she started a high pitched buzzing. Almost a pipping. PBZZT, PBZZT, PBZZT. Very high pitched. I guess she got tired of my prodding cause she flew up a foot, than dropped back into the hive. I found her again on a frame in the next lower box, making the same noise. PBZZT, PBZZT. Well, I left her alone, almost, I compined the boxes back together with a newspaper and am hoping for the best.
     Now, the questions. What Was That All About!?!? Was it a virgin queen? Will she go out into the wide world and breed. Will she come back. What was she doing by herself on a frame in the top box of my hive?
     It's been an interesting and educational week at my house, I tell you what!
irerob
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »

The noise sounds like she was piping, which would mean she was a virgin queen.

The other stuff is a mystery to me. I dunno

You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:34:29 PM »

The question left unanswered here, was there worker bees in the hive.  The way you tell it it sounds like the queen was on a solo apartment search.  If other bees in the hive, what was their conduct during the inspection?  Was there drones present?

More info will provide a better answer.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »

Sounds to me the virgin was calling other virgins so she could locate, then kill them. I would check the bottom box to see what's going on.

The reason she was alone is because she is a virgin and the bees don't recognize her as a queen.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »

Just curious, were there any swarm cells in the box when you split it?

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
crowhammer
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »

There are worker bees and drone. The workers were going about their business as if nothing special was going on a few frames away. As i got to the bottom box, the bees seemed to get more agitated. But not more defensive.
     I didn't take a very good look at all for swarm cells when I did the split. I was short on time and being sloppy. Yesterday, I was much more thorough and did see a few queen cells. Maybe 3 that were opened (queen cups?), and one that was capped over.
     The video is exactly the sound she was making. It was so cool!!! I was I had a camara to film it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next