Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 20, 2014, 04:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does sap = sugar water?  (Read 653 times)
jester7891
House Bee

« on: March 22, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »

I have been clearing about 1.5 acres of forest over the winter for the bees (new beekeeper started last year, get the bees established first and then put in the orchard – everyone is happy). Over the past few weeks, I have cut down a number of ash and hickory.  The sap bleeds out of the stumps and my bees have been having a field day with the sap.  Is this the same as sugar water to them?  I know I should have taken a picture but there were about 75 of them on one stump ~ 12 inches in diameter last week.

Jester
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »

I have been clearing about 1.5 acres of forest over the winter for the bees (new beekeeper started last year, get the bees established first and then put in the orchard – everyone is happy). Over the past few weeks, I have cut down a number of ash and hickory.  The sap bleeds out of the stumps and my bees have been having a field day with the sap.  Is this the same as sugar water to them?  I know I should have taken a picture but there were about 75 of them on one stump ~ 12 inches in diameter last week.

Jester

The sap of trees is similar to a sugar syrup and in its original form bees will take it if and when readily available.  Some would consider it a honeydew, being from the sap of the tree.  But the bees are harvesting the "sugar" content just as they do from flower nectar and converting it.  Sap has higher trace mineral content than sugar syrup.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Greg Peck
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

Depending on the type of tree the bees may be gathering resins for propalis (sp?). I dont know off hand what trees or if this applies to your situation. Just a thought.

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »

Although the sap has sugar, it is a low concentration of sugar, less than 3%.  Probably the bees gather it more for the water.  Mine are all over some holes in my maple trees.

Rick

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next