Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 23, 2014, 04:13:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it too early to feed syrup?  (Read 460 times)
DaveKow
House Bee

« on: March 22, 2009, 08:29:45 AM »

I was thinking about feeding my one hive.  I checked them last week and they had about 6 med frames of honey from the other hive that didn't make it.  Is it too early to feed syrup, and would you feed 2:1 or 1:1?  I do have a pollen patty already in the hive.  I am hoping to split this hive (swarm catch).  I wanted to buy another package, but I figured I would chance splitting this hive and if not I would buy a nuc from someone around here.  Last year's packages were my first and was not impressed. 

Here is the weather for the next 10 days:  http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/tenday/44403?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_driving

Thanks for your opinions.

Dave
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:38:42 AM »

Dave,

You should be fine to feed syrup.  I would feed 1:1 so they can consume it and not have to dilute it first.

Packages should be the last choice if one can help it.   I am a strong believer in local acclimated stock.  With packages, the first month they are in decline while brood is reared, then it takes awhile for them to build back up to what they where when you got them before you will see them grow. Not to mention the chances of getting SHBs in your apiary.

Good Luck,
rob...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next