Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 11:26:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranting: Property Values  (Read 2287 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: February 23, 2005, 08:53:54 AM »

I may scrape across somebodies nerves here. Really don't mean to do that. But I think the property value hype is over rated. Or perhaps I just look at it differently than others.

I have seen/known people that poke their noses in everything their nieghbors do/have on their property. Why? Because it affects their property value. HUH???

I have property. I could care less what the guy next door does as long as he doesn't blow up my house when he makes a misstake. My property has no value as I do not intend on selling it. Why would I care what someone thinks it is worth. The way I see it is the more it is worth the more taxes I have to pay. We'll shoot fire, if someone wants more of my tax dollars then why don't they come over here and work on my property to beautify it and make it worth more. Why should I work hard to make it look nice and be charged for my efforts? Legal robbery is what it is.

Who determines what a property is worth? Some government agency? Who do you pay your taxes to? Some government agency. Isn't there a conflict of intrest here?

What brought this up you might ask. I heard on the radio this morning that properties in Lubbock had been under valued by millions of dollars. Hummmm. Wonder if they just figured out a way to get more tax dollars for school funding, and to pay for all this road work they have been doing.

But some of those people that worry about what their property value is, is probably celebrating the fact.

Now I could see taxes on property when it is bought/sold, and yes you do pay taxes then. But where is the justification of taxes every year on the same property owned by the same person. Sort of like paying rent don't you think?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 07:00:02 AM »

Sort of strange I started this yesterday and then last night I heard something that fit right in to here.

I'm sure you've heard of Habitat for Humanity. A bunch of construction contractors donates their time and others donate materials and money to build houses for low income people. Affordable housing.

Last night on the news these people in thise houses can no longer afford to live there because of higher property values, there for higher taxes. And their insurance keeps going up up and away.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:04:13 AM »

Yep, I agree.  And let me add to your rant and complain about building permits.  A friend of mine, one county away, built an overhang off his garage to provide some shelter for his horses.  He paid $45 for the lumber.  Someone who works for the county noticed it, and so my friend ended up having to get a building permit - $135!!! My county isn't quite so bad, be even still, there's hardly anything you can do to your own place without it requiring a permit, or having to be inspected.
thegolfpsycho
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 07:42:38 AM »

I agree the property taxes are out of control.  I'm not so sure about the building permits and inspections.  I don't want Mr doityerselfer wiring up the additon to his house, and burning mine down too.  I don't want Mrs landgrabber contractng someone to build a fence, and telling them to go ahead.. move it over 16 inches.. he wont mind and besides... the crocus will look so good in that space.  And I don't want Mr and Mrs justcameintosomeextramoney to add another level to their home, obstructing my view of the mountains, in this no building over a story and a half limited developement.
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 07:50:27 AM »

My aunt lives in a mobile home park. She pays lot rent every month to the owner who, presumably, pays property tax on the park.

Last year, the city began to tax... her decks. Yep. That, and her garden shed.

How insane is that?

Lesli
http://beeyard.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 09:18:07 AM »

I have property with lake frontage, so far off the beaten path it will cost us over $9000 just to get electric run to it. We pull a travel trailer to the property when we want to spend some time there, then go back home get the boat or snowmobiles to use there.
 smiley  I'll just build a pole barn there to put the travel trailer in during the heavy snow winters.
Went to apply for a building permit for it. Found I can't get one till I get a septic permit, I'm not building a house just a pole barn with a dirt floor. Still had to get the septic permit, just to build a pole barn.
For the people by the people only applys to the rule makers I reason.

Cheesy Al
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 11:01:49 AM »

Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission wink

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »

The average home price in my county is $380,000. Up nearly 400% in ten years.

I can't possibly see my old 180 year old home as being valued at $290,000 but it is - and I have the tax bill to prove it - ugh.

Yes, we are all being raked to the cleaners. The reason here is obvious, there is no more available space to build - we are maxed out in a state which lies between New York City and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. No one (but me I sometimes thinks) minds driving an hour+ to work every day.

We are literally reach the relative home prices of Semi-Valley. I could never move from this home if I want to stay anywhere near here - the move is economically insane.

I just don't know how young couple pulling in $60,000 combined can afford a $350,000 mortgage - it makes no sense to me. God bless them, but I think it all is a scam to keep the homes coming back into the hands of the banks.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 01:55:17 PM »

The costs are pretty insane--it's one of the reasons I live in a rural county. I'm lucky in that my commute is only about 18 miles.

The prices where my family lives in Michigan are insane, too. Mobile home parks are popular because a lot of people can't afford the 200K homes--so thye move into the park, where they have: 1. a mortgage on their home and 2. lot rent. Plus utilities and the new, stupid property tax on their decks. But the mortgage plus lot rent has to be more than I pay for my mortgage and taxes, I'd bet. So a lot of them get behind on bills, the home is reposessed, and the cycle starts over. For the most part, these aren't "professional" people, but the truck drivers, delivery people, service workers, and so on.

On a similar topic, the woman I carpool with called me Wednesday night--an ambulance was coming for her husband and she was too upset to drive to the hospital So I drove her, and stayed with her, and found out that her husband, who has diabetes, heart disease, and seizures, had cut down on his medications because they couldn't afford them. The result? He had a stroke.

Was he foolish to cut down on his meds? Well, she and I have the same health plan. I would estimate that even with our prescription plan, his meds would cost them $400+ per month. He, of course, can't work. She works in our mail processing area. They have a mortgage, and live a pretty quiet life otherwise. But making ends meet and having extra to visit the grandkids is a real strain.

It made me ill. This should not be happening.

Lesli
http://beeyard.blogspot.com/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 02:07:48 PM »

Don't know about your area, but down here it is so much easier to get into a mobile home than a regular house. A fried of mine was trying to buy a house and had to go through all sorts of inspections and who knows what. After a few months of putting up with the BS. He was unable to do so.

Shortly after my wife and I went to a Mobile home dealer and was moving into the new home with in a month. Would have been a lot sooner if we had purchased one from off the lot than ordered one and had to wait on delivery and weather for delivery. It is just a lot less hassle. And we are not renting a spot but also purchased the five acres to place the home.

Jerry

Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 02:31:40 PM »

What gets me, is when people (usually old people) lose their home and property because of the rising cost of property taxes. I feel it's very unfair that a person could completely own their home and property, but still have it taken away because of unpaid taxes.

I have a friend who's mother is in a nursing home. The son used to live in her home by himself, but they had to change things lately to try and keep the home. The cost of the nursing home is so outragous that for a time they got slightly behind on the bill. It got up to about $2,000 behind, and then the nursing home had a change of ownership and management. They refused to let the bill go on like that, and insisted it get paid in 30 days. If unpaid, they said they would put a lien on the house and property and basiclly "kick" out the old woman from the nursing home. Also, there is some law here that says that the state could take her home, auction it off, and use that money for her nursing home care. (It's complicated.) So the daughter, her husband, and 4 kids all moved into the home to help out. By living in the "family home" she can devote her usual rent money to help with her mother's bills. There had NEVER been a morgage on this house & property, and now they had to get one to pay the nursing home.

The biggest worry is about this law that says the state could take the home to cover nursing home costs. It has something to do with the fact that she has no will (and too senile now to do one). I think it also has to do with the fact she has state health insurance - possibly medicare - which helps with bills minimally.

Beth

henryedl
New Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 10:52:01 AM »

Hello,
     Since I am new to this site and this forum I would first like to introduce myself.  My username is henryedl and I hail from south central Wisconsin (Blue Mounds).  I am new to beekeeping--1 year, to computer--3 years and have no formal training in either.  Though I hope not--you may find that I am only semi-literate in (take your pick) bee matters, using a computer, English as well as any other subject that I might attack.  With that I should get on with the subject for this posting.  

I agree with Beth that is completely unfair when people lose their homes and property to rising taxes, not to mention losing their life savings (usually in the form of property).  I come from a farm background and I think that it is safe to say that farmers of my parents era (post world war ll) were, as a group, quite unsophisticated in the ways of the world.  As a result their savings program consisted of ekking by in terms of spending money on themselves and putting as much as possible into their farm operations and land aquisition only to arrive at retirement (infirmity) with a sizable estate, mostly due to inflation, over which they had very little control.

The nursing home example in Beth's posting is quite typical.  I have long thought that people past retirement age should be allowed to remain in their homes until they can no longer maintain themselves--property tax free.  Of course critics would say that it wouldn't be long before a large number of homes would be owned by retired people.  While I'm sure that there would be abuse to this type of a program I am equally sure that rules and guidelines could be established to minimize these problems.  

The law that Beth refers to regarding the forced sale of property to pay nursing home care is pretty much the law of the land I think.  At least that is also the case here in Wi. and in Ill.  As far as the absence of a will or the inability to write one now because of mental state, in my area at least this is a moot point because the transfer of the property as a gift or inheritance  would have to have occurred a number of years, possibly as long as ten years, before the onset of the infirmity that landed your loved one in a nursing home.  

I guess that the lesson to be learned here is that if your parents or grand parents want to preserve real property for their families they have to be thinking and planning years ahead.  And of course they would be best served by employing legal assistance to establish their wishes.

Until next time,
     henryedl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next