Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 20, 2014, 11:13:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper combining Hives  (Read 724 times)
SlickMick
Field Bee

« on: March 19, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »

This morning I have had to do a newspaper combine of my two swarms that I have housed in nucs. I discovered that the queen in one has stopped laying and the other was not progressing as I would expect. A nuc, now in a deep that I bought at the same time as I caught the swarms is going like a house on fire.. whole frames of brood and eggs. Hence I have a new queen arriving on Wednesday next week which I will introduce to the combined hive. Hopefully this will get them going a heap better than they have been recently.

The question is how long does it usually take for the bees to chew through the paper and combine successfully?

There is quite a lot of SHB about at the moment and I am concerned that the weakened swarms may fall to them. I found 2 or 3 SHB larva in the oil trap at the bottom of the brood box but did not locate any in the brood.

On the outer Barcoo where the churches are few,
   And men of religion are scanty,
On a road never cross'd 'cept by folk that are lost,
   One Michael Magee had a shanty.

Now this Mike was the dad of a ten-year-old lad,
   Plump, healthy, and stoutly conditioned;
He was strong as the best, but poor Mike had no rest
   For the youngster had never been christened,
A BUSH CHRISTENING - A.B. "Banjo" Paterson http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/christen.html
malabarchillin
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

A day or 2.
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »

I always get a razor and cut a couple slits in it and then put between the hive I am combining. like said above a day or so then they work on removing the paper, all you should see is the paper on outside the hive in a couple days, sometimes they don't remove it all and you can then but some remove all of it.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »

I have never had it take more than overnight. I just use the hive tool and punch two holes in it. I put a hole between the hive body and the first frame, on each side. That way, they don't go down right into the brood chamber.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:34:35 PM »

I have never had it take more than overnight. I just use the hive tool and punch two holes in it. I put a hole between the hive body and the first frame, on each side. That way, they don't go down right into the brood chamber.

That's the smart way to do it. 

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next