From my semi ignorant view point, 14,000k away, I can tell you two things.
1. If I was a gun dealer/maker, ammo dealer/maker, a shortage of both until the new laws are decided would clear my stocks, drive prices through the roof, make me rich so I can relax until the crisis has passed and I know where I stand.
2. It would benefit me greatly if I could start/spread such a rumour.
Last time I looked, there was about 6 guns registered for every man woman and child in the US. Id say three times that for unregistered stuff.
Theres blokes with AKs, 50 cals, H&Ks, Sniper rifles, anti tank weapons, mines, grenades, you name it. Theres even blokes with tanks over there. I wouldnt be surprised if there were good ole boys with fighter jets that thay have ammo for (in case of emergency). Very resourceful those blokes you got there.
So if the Govt of the US ever wanted to disarm its Citizens, it would be total Civil War. The worst sci fi movie come to life. Iraq in Every town.
Then again, arms could end up fracturing the US one day. Back to the old days of North and South. Those States with arms, those without, protected by half the worlds armies.
The real challenge, task at hand, is to remove guns from criminals and stop the illegal supply.
No point doing anything until the lunatics are disarmed. To do this is not impossible.
1. Restrict the sale of arms to lunatics, no matter how much it costs to reference check them. "Come back in two weeks aint enough".
2. Wholesale stop and search of vehicles and persons, open slather on searching any home for firearms. Close down entire blocks, cities, towns and search every buildiing, drain, hole and bush for weapons and destroy them.
3. Offer twice the going rate for guns forfeited to police.
4. Absolute control by the State of all arms manufacturing, importing and exporting.
5. a State sanctioned list of allowable firearms. One sanctioned firearm to be provided to any person passing licensing regulations, free of charge and by the State.
6. a ban on all weapons and ammo that have greater firepower than Police/Military.
7. 3,6, 12 monthly character checks for the life of your gun permit.
8. The total regulation of the sale of ammo, individual markings on shell casings. All ammo to be accounted for each month, used or not. Total ban on home manufacturing of ammo and the sale of tools to do such. (aha, if this is in the planning already, some of my other ideas will be too, I know how these people think. Hold your friends close and your enemies closer grasshopper).
9. The right to search and seize, without notice or reason, for firearms and ammo.
10. Life in Jail for possessing, using, supplying unlicensed ammo and or arms. Mandatory death Penalty, without the right of appeal, for any person using a firearm to commit a crime. (OK,I was a bit harsh, appeal, then shot at dawn).
Now this would cost trillions, but employ millions. Ive seen trillions handed out to failed companys of late for no return, so money is not an issue for the US, and never will be domestically.
I do admire the fighting spirit of you all, I think you know that by now. "From my cold dead hands" is not such a bad idea. History teaches us that rights lost are seldom won back.
I do also know, that local scum, knocking each other off is not necessarily such a bad thing. I also know that innocent people get shot every day. Lots of kids in sheds, fooling around.
To put any dent in the use of illegal arms in your GREAT NATION you would have to use such extremes measures as I have outlined above.
But just remember, the only person who benefits by an ammo shortage, is the bloke thats doing the selling. There could never be such a shortage in actuality, YOUVE ALL GOT TOO MUCH HIDDEN AWAY ALREADY!
I know one beekeeper, ehem, who will remain nameless, has more guns on him than flies! Theres also some lovely ladies in here that pack a 6 shooter before they pack their lippy!
Now I know many of you will say what the pkj*&^% would he know? True, true, but I like to test the waters.
Dont forget, theres gunna be 300,000 people trained to search and destroy out of work in a couple of years. I wouldnt be at all surprised if some of them were used by the Govt, ipso facto against the People, in an attempt to quell the tide of illegal arms flowing in the US.
The only other long term solution is worse than the above. It involves gated communities, private security, road blocks, helicopter patrols, armed escorts etc. Hardly a realistic alternative.
Something will change, thats a certain. Restricting gun ownership under Obama is as sure as getting Saddam was under GWB.
Before this year is out, there will be a ban on full autos in the US. I bet both on it!
When I was about 10, in the 70s, it was nothing to see a man/boy in the street with a rifle on his shoulder. "He has been hunting" people would say. Blokes used to take the 12 guage, .22 or 303 on the train to go shooting. NO one blinked an eyelid. No one worried about being shot, no one was, intentionally. Whole trainloads, hundreds of blokes, thousands of rounds, thousands of bottles of beer. No one ever got shot on a train.
Then one day, it seemed like it was overnight,the Government changes, the greenies, wowsers and whingers took control. Fools with letters after their names got heard and listened to. Guns were gone. Evil things.
It was the anti Vietnam lot taking out revenge and they got their way. Shooting is cruel, ducks have feelings, little Johnny is aggressive, take away his cap gun, and it followed through to real guns. It happened in a year or two.
Whilst I dont necessarily agree that its handy to have a few 30 cals locked and cocked in the shed, bedroom or lounge, I do agree that people are entitled to have the means to defend themselves in their particular environment.
Sorry for the ramble.