1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup room temperature milk
1 room temperature egg
4 Cups fresh elderberries, cleaned and stems removed
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Melt butter in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder & salt.
3. Stir in milk & egg.
4. Pour evenly over melted butter.
5. In seperate bowl combine peaches, honey & spices
6. Spread fruit mixture over batter-DO NOT STIR!
7. Bake 35-45 minutes at 350°F until batter comes to the top and is golden brown.
This is also great made with peaches, I'm sure any fresh fruit would work.
Information on elderberries:
When you pick elderberries, snip the clusters just below the fruit itself. Then separate the berries from the stems. Avoid elderberries species with red fruit growing in rounded, instead of flat clusters. Avoid unripe, green berries—they’ll get you sick. Even raw ripe elderberries make some people nauseous. Cooking or drying dispels the offending substance, and greatly improves the flavor. The berries have few calories and lots of nutrition. They provide very large amounts of potassium and beta-carotene, as well as sugar and fruit acids, calcium, phosphorous and vitamin C. Need more info? Check out http://www.hort.cornell.edu/extension/commercial/fruit/mfruit/elderberries.html