Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 12:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George's South Carolina Old Style Barbeque  (Read 1264 times)
Stlnifr
House Bee

« on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »

George's South Carolina Old Style Barbeque

The tantalizing smell and taste is achieved by slowly roasting a dressed hog over hard wood coals Oak & Hickory. The meat is basted with a sauce made of vinegar and hot peppers. This surely has to be the finest of all eating!
COOKING INFORMATION
HOG WT.   WOOD   COOKER TEMP.   COOK TIME
75lbs.   1/3 Cord   220-235   6-7 hrs.
100 lbs.   1/3-1/2 Cord   220-235   7-8 hrs.
125 lbs.   1/2 Cord   220-235   8-9 hrs.
Things to remember:
Use hard wood coals.
Keep the temperature at about 225 degrees for the first couple of hours.
Keep most of the wood coals under the hams and shoulders and less in the center.
How do I cook this darn hog?
If the backbone isn't already split open when you get the hog, you will need to do this so that it will lay flat. Make sure that you don't poke any holes in the skin since we want to keep all of the juices in while we are cooking. Sprinkle a little salt inside the hog (he needs it, he's a fresh hog you know). Start your wood in a barrel to make your coals. When it's ready shovel the embers into the pit. Lay the hog on the fence wire that is on the grate lay the hog flat, skin side up. Close it up and watch the temperature. Keep it at about 225 degrees for the first couple hours. You can raise it up a little no more than 235 after a while if you want but I think it works better if you stick to 220 - 225 degrees as much as possible. You will need to keep hard wood going in the barrel so that you can replenish the embers when the temperature starts to drop off. After 5-6 hours depending on how big your hog is, you will need to turn him over (you do this only once). Place a piece of wire or another grate over the top of the hog so that you can flip him over then cook another additional 3 hours. This usually requires some help so that you don't drop the hog. Now is the time to sample the hog this will give you an idea of how close he is to being done. Now you can start basting with the sauce you have made. Pour enough into the rib area until it is about an inch deep. Now is also a good time to put on a couple of chickens to have for breakfast along with some hot coffee. Close pit up to cook a few hours longer. He is READY! It's time for the festivities to begin! Call all of your friends and chow down!

Recipe for George's South Carolina BBQ Sauce
1-gallon vinegar
3/4 cup salt
1/2 bottle Texas Pete hot sauce
2 tablespoons red pepper
1-cup brown sugar

Combine all of the above. Let it stand for at least 4 hours before using to allow everything to get acquainted. The key to making sauce is to use what tastes good to you.  I like to make mine about a week ahead if I have time. This will let all the flavors combine well. 

Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next