Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Outyard Question...  (Read 867 times)

Offline Hill's Hivery

• New Bee
Outyard Question...
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
Any of you that have outyards, do you have a written agreement with the owners about the placement of the hives.
I have read somewhere about beekeepers losing hives when property is sold because there is no agreement.

I have a great location and a great land owner willing to host some hives for a nominal fee of 2 quarts of honey.  He is going to plant 5-10 acres of clover on the ground this spring so it would definitly be a good location.  I just want to cover myself.

Thank you for the help!

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
Re: Outyard Question...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
Brand all your equipment. It would be hard for them to claim it as their own. An agreement is not a bad idea either. I would do a simple agreement. Leaving XX number of hives for XXX number of time for XXX compensation you decide.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:02:30 PM »
Depends how long you've known each other. I am on a farm with a handshake agreement, the benefits are mutual. I never knew the farmer till I was introduced to him, now he and his wife are just tickled to have honeybees on their farm and I am tickled to have a place to keep them that is secured.  :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:17:06 PM »
Mine are all on a handshake but they are also branded.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »
Mine are all on a handshake but they are also branded.

Same for me, but my wife's family has been friends with the owners for ages.  I haven't done any branding yet, but I don't have many hives there yet.  At some point I will.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:17:59 AM »
I agree with MB..Brand them!
There are those who might come along and help themselves to your Hives....inspectors will see your number and call you most times.
It's happened out here in Chestertown...
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.