Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 09:56:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Than One Hive  (Read 2002 times)
bullybrink
New Bee

« on: March 05, 2009, 10:33:13 AM »

I am starting up my first hive this spring and have now thought that perhaps I should have got a second one in case I have problems with the first. What do you all think? The problem now is that I can't seem to find anybody that has any bees left for sale. I would have to get them shipped. Any suggestions? Maybe I could just get lucky and catch a swarm. Undecided
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »

i would have been good to start with two, but it's not a disaster that you did not.  i had only one my first year and lost it, but learned a lot.  check for a local beekeeping club. someone may have a nuc to sell now, or later. someone may also be willing to sell you a couple of frames of brood and bees and you could just buy a queen or grow your own.  good way to learn.

if none of that works, there is always next year....or you could get lucky and catch a swarm or two.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »

Imo when just starting out it in bee keeping it is best to start with at least 2 hives. It will expand your learning curve. Gives you qa chance to compare the 2 hives. If one for some reason would become queenless or has other troubles you may be able to use the other hive to bail it out. Look around I am sure there is some guys out your way that would be willing to sell a nuc. Good luck

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
gmcharlie
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »

I like Drapers for buying bees...  the packages have always had a lot more then 3lbs......  and they usually have some late...  the price went up this year,  but I have always gotten good packages and good queens from them in the past.
Two Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »

I vote for Two!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
WhipCityBeeMan
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »

I also vote two.  Of course 2 the first year turns to 4 the second year.  Then 10 and so on.  Thats my experience. 

Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria
Two Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »

That's what I planning................4 or maybe even 5 from splits.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
gmcharlie
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »

You won't be able to split that new hive the first year usually.   (there are exceptions I know)  But first year buildup when you have no established foundation or surplus honey stores  will need to be pretty much left alone.   splitting them will make it hard for them to store enough honey and build fast enough to overwinter.   you could feed and help them  but trust me  its cheaper to just buy 2 packages to start,  and ponder splits next year.   Darn suger prices are so high,,,,,
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

Two. As others said for comparison. If you only have one and it starts to seem to start getting weaker, you have a tendency to think, well, its time of year, lack of nectar, etc. Denial that something could be wrong until its too late. If you have two, queens being equal, they should rise and fall together. Yeah, I agree to forget about splits the first year. You need more knowledge than bees the first year.
 Don't count on luck and swarms unless they are common around you.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:58:04 PM »

I started with one and things went very well for me. They were nice and strong all the way along and even swarmed on me the next Spring (Hee! Hee!). But knowing what I know now, I would have started with two just in case.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:55:34 AM »

You do what you can.  Catching a swarm is a great plan.  Buying packages is more of a sure thing.  Nothing says you can't do both.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »

I think everyone should start with a minimum of two hives.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »

Two is good!

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
jdpro5010
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »

Two is definitely better, but if you listen to some of us you will have 15 or 20 before you know it! grin
bullybrink
New Bee

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »

My second hive is on it's way. Thanks for all the advice guys. I never knew that beekeeping would be so addictive. I keep wondering now how many hives I could potentially keep in my backyard. grin
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 04:18:05 PM »

My second hive is on it's way. Thanks for all the advice guys. I never knew that beekeeping would be so addictive. I keep wondering now how many hives I could potentially keep in my backyard. grin

Till the neigbors complain, no neighbors lots. LOL

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
EasternShore
House Bee

Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 04:10:51 AM »

Bee's are like Lays potatoe chips..can't EAT JUST ONE...I ended up with 4 my first season...

Also managed to talk the owner across the street into letting me use his unused 80 acres...and it has water...wooohooo

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.
superhoney
New Bee

Golly I love this hobby

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 03:16:39 AM »

Me too for the two hives your first time around. This is my first season as well and two seems to be very logical advice backed up by other keeper's experiences in many areas of this site.

Catching a swarm would be super cool as well! I turn my attention to that next season.  evil

Have fun with your bees!
Superhoney

cundald
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »

Bee's are like Lays potatoe chips..can't EAT JUST ONE...I ended up with 4 my first season...

Also managed to talk the owner across the street into letting me use his unused 80 acres...and it has water...wooohooo

My plan are starting with two hives and seeing if I can pick-up a swarm.   I may also try to do a cut-out this summer, I know that its going to require me to nurse them along until following spring, but I feel it worth it!

The other thing that may limit the number of hive would be town regulation, my dad was limited to 4 hive per property inside town limits.

cundald

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next