Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Snow Question  (Read 751 times)

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
Snow Question
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
I have the board out of my screened bottom to help with moisture control. We had 5 inches of snow last night and the temps will be doen to 13 tonight. Should I put the board back in to help hold heat or will there be a moisture issue with all the snow???

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Robo's World
Re: Snow Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
If you have any type of ventilation at the top of the hive,  you are just creating a draft up though the hive by having the bottom open.   It will definitely be warm and easier for them to keep a larger brood patch with it closed.  When I use to use screened bottom boards,  I never opened them before Labor Day.   

I know some will say leave them open all year round.  But my experience has shown me that more brood will get raised earlier with them closed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »
Labor Day?
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Robo's World
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
Darn it,  I always get Memorial Day and Labor Day confused :roll:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything