Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Stand  (Read 118 times)

Online DDJ324

• New Bee
Hive Stand
« on: March 23, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
This is my second post (first is in Say hello).  I have not raised or handled bees before and I have a few weeks until the first county beekeepers club meeting.

My hive parts are due on Saturday.  I spent time this weekend working on the Area where my hive will be located.  Our plan is to clear the area around the hive put down plastic and then Mulch over it.  This is no problem and other than the mulch it is done.  I have dry stacked concrete blocks 3 courses high I have a slight lean (1/4 bubble or less) to the front Right of the hive  Thinking it will allow drainage should anything leak.  I have also created my "block wall" in more of a C shape so that there would be some air flow up from through the screen bottom board.  I plan on placing a bail of straw at this opening for winter to block wind but still provide breathing room.  I faced this opening to the south where the shed 10 to 15 feet away should block some of the wind.  I have a chain link fence on 2 sides of the hive that I plan on turning into a wind break for winter, likely with more bales of Straw.

Have I made any huge mistakes that will kill everthing or should that work.

Offline cao

• New Bee
Re: Hive Stand
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »
It seems that you got everything covered.  The only thing that would worry me is that straw will have a tendency to attract mice.  That could be a problem if they find their way into the hive during the winter.  I would suggest a piece of foam instead.  Hopefully you will get some other opinions.  I would ask that you put in your location in your profile, it would help in answering any of your questions. 

anything