Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 10:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with this weather?  (Read 1710 times)
asprince
Super Bee

« on: March 01, 2009, 09:43:59 AM »

Yesterday it was 72 degrees here in Central Georgia, this morning it is on the 30's and SNOWING like mad! Huge flakes and lots of them. We rarely get snow here. We did get 17 inches back in Feb. of 1973. Looking outside this morning brings back memories.....or nightmares.

My wife is so excited. She is already planning a snow man and accessing our food supply.

Go figure, Steve   

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »

It was supposed to start out as sleet here, overnight, but it didn't start until 8 am, and as snow - I'm wondering if we're in for the bigger amounts they predicted  - up to a foot.  And the old snow had almost disappeared..... rolleyes

But on a better note, today is March 1st, the first day of meteorological spring (according to the weathermen).  Now, to endure March so we can get to April!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:51:43 AM »

It's still snowing. It is snowing so hard that it has interrupted my Directv signal.

Steve 

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Chef Isaac
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

The weather has ben wacky. Last year, we got snow in June. IN JUNE............. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:06:53 AM »

It's still snowing. It is snowing so hard that it has interrupted my Directv signal.

Steve 

Might need to go out and brush off the collectors. (or what ever they are called)

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

Friday we hit 71F in Central New Jersey, today into tomorrow 12-16 inches of snow coming, already had 2 iches with the small FIRST wave, it should be around 4pm here when wave #2 starts and goes until late tomorrow afternoon.

As my Dad would have said, "Dress Appropriately" lol. I was always amazed how the desert can be 120 in the day and 30 at night, sounds more like the moon than Arizona.

The first wave almost melted as temps climbed to 36 and the sun was out, it is dipping again and will really dump on us later. It is official though, this was our WARMEST February (average temps) on record, so might as well start March out with something to let us know Winter is not over yet. I'm just glad that MOST TREES use the Earths position on its axis to start blooming and also for shedding in the Fall - if it were ALL a TEMP THING, then I think we'd be suffering as our bees had blooming trees and 20 degree temps. A few years ago exactly that happened as our main Spring pollen flow was blooming, we had two weeks of near teens temperatures. Nothing got gathered that month, and the brood food was scarse until things got better.

Of course the queen is indeed a magical machine, she slowed egg production to match the brood food and the only thing to really suffer was hive growth which eventually caught back up.

I'll be shoveling 2 sidewalks again, our new home and old home which I don't plan on selling until around June - in both cases, you are required to shovel the walks or be fined by the township - just as you are fined if you park in the street during snow removal. That isn't just it either, first you are fined and the police call for the tow truck ( the only requirement to the ticket rule is that the township plows are out) once they are salt spreading or plowing, the ticket and tow trucks are in business and pulling in BIG BUCKS, the fine for parking in the street alone is $105.00 - no idea what the towing would set you back.

Having the 38 foot motor home in our old yard (we keep it there for now) didn't leave any place for our cars, which we parked next door in a business parking lot - now we have lots of room for our cars at the new house and eventually well move the "bus" too.

I think this time around, we are gonna get the biggest part of the snow, I remember March of 89 we had a 4 footer come through, biggest single snow fall I ever saw. Of course to the New Englanders, 4 foot of snow they call "A chance of flurries" Smiley

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »

Yep, and we've had 18" chances of flurries as late as April 18th, although I do recall one storm dumped about 28" on us overnight - I think that was the April Fool's storm back in '97.

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »

We are freezing today. Got down to 20F last night. Suppose to get up to 58F today. We have been up in the mid 80s this past week. Should be back up to 86 by Tuesday.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »

And the next person who calls and says "So how are the nucs coming along" and "when will my nucs be ready"...I'm going to reach through the phone and rip their tongue out... grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »

85 yesterday, 35 last night, caught first swarm of season 2 days ago, go figure! Crazy friggin' weather!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »

Before they covered up with snow, I thought I'd take a shot this morning of some flowers.....  grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 08:11:42 AM »

I woke up to 8 or more inches, clears off the cars and got to work on time - no I hear my relief may not show up, so this could be 16 hours worth of work - leaving my wife to have shovel main walks. I think I'll ask her to knock on the door of a mexican fellow who live over a bakery near or old house - he'll do the walks for about $20 as long as we supply the shovel. I hate so see her do them, yet I don't want the FINE that comes if you don't clean your walks.

I hate shiftwork, I was up at 5am shoveling, barely got out the door on time for work at 6:15 leave time. Now to fine I'll likely be here for a double - ugh. Glad I brought extra food, but still 16 hours, with 8 hours off then back again is a long 36 hours.

Still snowing and still hearing a foot by time it is done.

Follow us on TWITTER

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 08:45:53 AM »

Bjorn, you are way ahead of us gardenwise, my daffs have poked their heads up a bit, but no blossom sheaths yet.  And now they're covered with snow, it's howling out there, the snow is going by my windows in horizontal bands, swirling off roofs, it's actually supposed to be dying down right now, but there's more coming around 2-3 pm this afternoon.  North of us they got over a foot, so hubby will be up to Maine to shovel off the roof there - again.

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »

Apparently its opposite week...we didn't get any snow, but the 5 degree nights are keeping the daffodils in the ground .

Rick
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 01:47:27 PM »

I live about 70 minutes southwest of The Beemaster and the weather in  the southern parts of NJ is just as he explained. Our Winters have 4 seasons  angry
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »

3pm Update:

got 12 inches here and round three (in Washington, DC now) should be here in 2 hours and should put another 2-3 inches here. We are just along a narrow alley that is being dumped on.

My 81 year old neighbor Irma, is just finishing doing her driveway (2 car wide) and 100 foot across the front to her home and 40 foot path to bird feeder. I am amazed at her. I'm just walking in from work, got two sidewalks to do, but I'm driving back and forth smashing the snow down in the drive way, I'm not about to shovel all that out if I don't have to. Enough with two big walks for me, I put a long day making rounds through 6 foot high snow drifts on the navy base, they had the SNOW LINE you call to see if the base is open and this morning said it would open at noon - when I was out making rounds still at 11am, it was worse than when I came in at 6:30, I knew no way they would open up.

The sad part is so many people transit from 60+ miles away and many of them must have been on the way to work, only to find when they got there it was closed.

So, ending with 14 is enough for me - I love snow, but it is going to be cold for a week, so it won't be going anywhere too soon.

Look for my SNOW CAM POST in this forum - I'm setting up cam before I go to other house and leaving it on as I dhovel my walk here.

Follow us on TWITTER

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next