Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 07:36:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nucs  (Read 837 times)
troutstalker2
House Bee

« on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »

Is there any reason to use a nuc instead of a ten frame hive body when doing a split or if you capture a swarm? Is the reason for using 5 frame nuc is that is just cheaper, or takes less room up in the yard, or will the bees start off better in the smaller space for some reason?
  Thanks in advance, David
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »

when collecting swarms I take both a 5 frame nuc and a 10 frame hive body. Most swarms I hive in the 10 frame equipment if it is a  small swarm I will  hive it  in the nuc.  You have to remember a swarm is a wax drawing machine when first hived so I try to give them as much room as I think they will need. Hope this helps Wink

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »

Is there any reason to use a nuc instead of a ten frame hive body when doing a split or if you capture a swarm? Is the reason for using 5 frame nuc is that is just cheaper, or takes less room up in the yard, or will the bees start off better in the smaller space for some reason?
  Thanks in advance, David

A swarm is a very energetic clump of bees and as such less prone to pest invasion, however if there is a good quantity of unused space within a hive the pests will use that area to infest the hive.  So the ideal is to give the bees no more area than they can defend.  A large swarm might need a full box, a small one would do better in a nuc box until is built up a bit.  Some larger swarms placed into a space too confinded for them will abscond.  It's really a judgement call on the part of the beekeeper.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »

Bees are social insects and like to be somewhat crowded. If too much space is given them they won't perform as well. The time of year is a thing to keep in mind. If in doubt, in the spring err on the side of giving too much room as they are in buildup mode. In the late summer/fall, err on the side of too little room as they are in reducing mode.

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
troutstalker2
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »

Thanks guys, that makes sense. bee
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »

Ray, I like your signature, it conjures up some very nice thoughts of drinking lemonade and a hot summer day.  Have a beautiful, most awesome day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next