Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 02, 2014, 01:04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what are they thinking  (Read 1028 times)
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« on: February 15, 2009, 02:31:00 AM »

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Police in South Carolina gave away roses on Valentine's Day. All you had to do to get one for your sweetie was turn in a gun.

Hoping to get the weapons off the streets with the "Guns for Roses" program, authorities in two central South Carolina cities set up a program where anyone who turned in a gun received a free rose and a Best Buy gift card.

At a Columbia church, five cars lined up to give away guns before the exchange had even started. At the end of the day, Columbia area police had collected 191 weapons and police in Sumter collected 32.

"We've got a great turnout so far," Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan said.

A handgun was worth a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun netted a $50 gift certificate. Cowan said one man turned in six handguns, worth $600 in gift cards.

Cowan did not immediately have a total value for gift cards given out. Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson said her program gave out $550 in gift cards for long guns and $2,100 for handguns.

There was no amnesty for those turning in the guns. The weapons were being checked to see if they were stolen, names and addresses were jotted down and ballistics tests would also be done to see if the firearm was used in a crime.  (italics and u.l. mine)

Both Cowan and Patterson said there were no incidents and no arrests made Saturday.

Cowan said the idea was spawned in part by Columbia Police Chief T.P. Carter and Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, who has made headlines recently for investigating Michael Phelps after a photo surfaced showing the Olympic swimming champion smoking a marijuana pipe. The program was modeled after a California one; similar exchanges have been done in New York and San Francisco.

Cowan said gun donors were young and old, men and woman. Many had a big smile and some said it was a relief to get rid of the weapons.

And did they even care about the rose?

"Most of them have taken it," Cowan said.

theyt really got a lot of criminals to turn in their guns yup yup

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:43:53 AM »

The last sentence sums it up as for the attitude of the cops....."a lot of criminals".... what idiots.

As for the amnesty part, you could assume that most guns were old, broken, and hardly types being clutched by "criminals". This is more PR for the local authorities, than actually getting guns out of the hands of criminals.

Collecting 191 guns that have never been used in a crime, does little.

And any gun worth having, is worth much more than what they got with a 50 dollar gift card. I'd like to see exactly what "gun" they removed from their supposed respected public, that the cops label as "criminals".

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »

I have one gun I might consider turning in for a $50.00 gift certificate to G.I. Joe's, Sportsman's Warehouse, or Cabella's.  It's an old 22 short model 2 Winchester single shot with no stock and is fouled so bad that you can't load a round in it any more.
But if the gift card ain't to someplace I can get another gun or ammunition for my others, I'm not trading it in.

And any gun worth having, is worth much more than what they got with a 50 dollar gift card. I'd like to see exactly what "gun" they removed from their supposed respected public, that the cops label as "criminals".

Must be an election year.  That kind of public theatrics serves no purpose except to get guns out of the hands of people either don't know how to use one or need the gift certificate to augment their social security check.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:43:35 AM »

I wonder what would happen if I ran an advertisement in the paper offering 100 dollars, for quality firearms, with no questions asked..... grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »

they do that here.  it is so sad to see grandpas antique turned in and melted down.  according to our police, no guns are saved.  not even the antiques.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next