Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 08:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Better Way to Dust for Mites with Powdered Sugar?  (Read 1345 times)
PeskySquirrel
New Bee

« on: February 11, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »

Anyone else as intrigued as I am about by this new product from Dadant?

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1066

Just another way to spend more money? Or a truly better way to apply Powdered Sugar? Can't wait to hear a few reviews.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »

an old window screen and a brush work great. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »

This is a old hat item in Europe, I believe there have been several articles published on the use of them.
Like most ever thing, some Good & some Bad reports !

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
mlewis48
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »

I use an old flour sifter that I found at the flea market. It does well .

" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:02 PM »

Randy Oliver wrote about it and mentioned that Dadant would be carrying the item.  I called immediately on reading that only to find out that the order had been placed with the European manufacturer but had not arrived as the time I called and no decision about pricing had been made. 
I think I'll order one, now that they're in and in the online catalog.  I like the idea of being able to blow powder up between the frames and well as down between them.  It also might make it so I don't have to stoop so much working the hives, that's a back killer for me on the days I can work the hives without the wheelchair.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »

I don't understand how it works. Sounds sort of strange having the sugar blow up, when you want the mites to go down. Huh?
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:03:18 PM »

I don't understand how it works. Sounds sort of strange having the sugar blow up, when you want the mites to go down. Huh?

Imagine filling your smoker with powdered sugar, so that when you work the billows a cloud of sugar comes out the spout.  Then imagine puffing the sugar into the hive through the entrance.  Now put an extention on the spout so that the powdered sugar can be puffed up onto the frames from below.  Get it now?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 12:43:02 PM »

Got it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next