Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 12:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen not laying I think  (Read 933 times)
orvette1
House Bee

« on: February 07, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »

I started a nuc with a new queen and some brood and nurse bees from another hive.  This was about 2 months ago. I check them about once a week. I saw the queen today, but only about 4-8 larvae. THe bees don't seem to be drawing out the comb either.  There was some capped brood. I can't see the eggs, never have been able to. There may be eggs, but I can't tell.  Any ideas?
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »

I started a nuc with a new queen and some brood and nurse bees from another hive.  This was about 2 months ago. I check them about once a week. I saw the queen today, but only about 4-8 larvae. THe bees don't seem to be drawing out the comb either.  There was some capped brood. I can't see the eggs, never have been able to. There may be eggs, but I can't tell.  Any ideas?

Imagine a very small grain of rice balanced on its end.  Now, with the sun over your shoulder hold the frame so that the sun shines down into the comb.  You should see those little grains of rice centered in the cell.  Also look for the later stage of the larva laying on its side in a small pool of white milk like substance (royal jelly).

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
orvette1
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »

Thank you.  I had a beekeeper come out and show me how to look for eggs, I just can't see them. Even with my glasses on.  Any ideas on why she isn't laying? Any ideas on how to get her going? Any ideas on how to get the bees to draw comb?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »

what is your flow like?  if she's not laying and they aren't drawing comb, i'd wonder if they are getting enough of the right stuff to eat.  also, do you have enough workers? 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »

A few questions:
1. What type of foundation are you using?
2. Are you feeding pollen patties or syrup?
3. Have you added more bees/frames to boost the dwindling population?
4. Is the comb honey bound from being over fed?
5. What types of forage are you bees working at the moment?
6. Are you using a nuc of full size hive body?
7. How are your other hives/splits performing?

Answer those questions and I'll give a more precise answer to your question as it lacking information to be more than general at the moment.  In other words I'd have to guess at one of a dozen possibilities.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »

Have you tried holding up a magnyfying lens to see into the cells? What's your weather been like? No nectar available, no pollen available they will build slowwwly. They usually can find pollen though.

Have you offered feed? If no flow, feed them and they will more than likely draw comb.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
orvette1
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »

Thank you all for your info. I think I know what the problem is.  Smiley
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »

care to share??  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
orvette1
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:33:17 PM »

I have a strong hive also.  They drew out the comb and filled it with honey very fast.  The queen is working hard, I don't like her, but that is a different problem.  So I thought the nuc should be doing well also.  Here in Honolulu we don't have much of a problem with nectar flow or pollen.  The same thing kept coming up in the answers, and I kind of thought I might need to feed them.  So I am going to start. Thank everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next