Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 11:01:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings/questions from Shawnee, Ok  (Read 1002 times)
foxman
House Bee

« on: January 28, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »

Hi im 16 and am interested in starting a bee colonie. I would like to know what i need to get started and would like to find some local bees. All help appreciated thanks.

The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »

http://www.okbees.org/

i would start here.  see if there are any classes in your area.  look for a beekeeping supply store in your area.  they often have classes. 

you need to order packages or nucs now if that is the way you are going to go.  i would suggest that you order two so that you can have two hives going.  this gives you a way to support a weaker hive and lets you compare the behavior of two hives.

your start up supplies will not be a huge expense.  if you buy just essentials, you'll probably be spending around 300 dollars.

i'll give you a list off the top of my head, and others will add what i forget smiley

2 deep or 3 medium supers per hive.

frames

foundation.  cost can be reduces by using foundation in strips, called starter strips (cut your own).

bottom boards for each.  i prefer screened

tops for each.  migratory are cheaper.

inner covers are optional, but nice if you are going to jar feed on the hive.  you can reduce cost by skipping inner covers and feeding another way.

smoker

hive tool, or equivalent. 

gloves

jacket with veil.  some prefer full suit.  mann lake had the cheapest and nicest last i looked.

other things, like entrance reducers, you can pick up later or make.

i'm sure i forgot something....!

some of the terms you can search for on this site.  also, go to a beekeeping supply site online and look at pictures.  have a good idea of  what you want and don't want before you shop, or you'll end up with stuff you don't need.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »

Hello and Welcome Foxman
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
Johnny
foxman
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:40:16 PM »

thank you kathyp your information was very helpful i appreciate it Smiley

The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »

Foxman, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  You are very young, that is great that you want to get into keeping bees, this is a hobby that may turn into something really big one day.  Stick around, we will help you to become knowledgeable about keeping bees, and the studying that you will also do on your own will help too.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:10:02 AM »

There is a few guys in your area keeping bees. I would get into a local club and find a good mentor. I good mentor is priceless when starting out in beekeeping

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
BarneyG
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »

hello welcome aboard to the forums  this is a great place  , mannlake bee supplys is not the cheapest place to buy from , western bee in montana is has every thing you might need  , or brown stock in idaho they just do the boxs and frames is all  have a great day Barney

Barney
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next