Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 06:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: herbercide  (Read 1057 times)
beemeupscoty
New Bee

« on: February 04, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »

Hello,

I desire to start a hive this spring.  All plans are put on hold because I plan to plant pine tress(RR# Loblolly) on and around the same area as the hives(15+acers).  Part of the process is spraying herbercide, which concerns me.  Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?  I am concerned that the chemicals may have an effect on the bees and/or honey production contamination.  Perhaps there are some type of herbercides that will not harm the bees.

jdpro5010
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »

Herbicides ,in general, will not directly harm the bees.  All bees are exposed to some chemicals everyday.  However I would be more inclined to just put the bees in a less susceptible place, thereby doing my best to limit the exposure to foreign materials such as chemicals.
tlynn
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? 

Sure.  Don't use herbicides.  How about a bush hog, DR Trimmer (as seen on TV!) or goats/sheep.  They will clean up an area really nice.  I can't come up with any rational justification for poisoning my property.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »

beemeupscoty,
Have you grown trees before?

The reason I ask, is I briefly looked into this awhile back. Seems weed suppression or control is but one concern. From what I was told, yearly spraying may be needed for a whole host of potential problems. And since trees are planted every 6 -8 foot apart, disease and spread is a concern. 5-7 years of time and investment is much to find out your trees are sick if no control measures are applied.

I'm no expect on the subject. But I found out that my "Plant the trees, wait 7 years, and collect the money....was a bit foolhearty." Much more go into it.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »

You may do some thinning after 7 yrs but harvesting is done much later, I'm no expert but you could be looking at upwards of 25 yrs for a good harvest, 30yrs would probably be best.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:32:07 AM »

My Bad!  I just assumed these were Christmas trees.  embarassed

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? 

Sure.  Don't use herbicides.  How about a bush hog, DR Trimmer (as seen on TV!) or goats/sheep.  They will clean up an area really nice.  I can't come up with any rational justification for poisoning my property.

Th US govt.
I will plant trees in the US CRP program. As a condition of the contract you must spray herbicide on the land to kill the native competition. After the first year you can bushhog and control burn the property but you must spray the first year. I plan to plug up the girls for the day or 2 they spray then let em out after

Keith
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »

Here in the Deep South pines are being planted everywhere.  So many older farmers are planting pines instead of row crops.  We will probably be joining them before very many more years.  Spraying is done over massive areas here each spring.  Don't like it, but don't see it ending any time soon.  Then there is the annual undergrowth burn off.  From January until end of March the haze and smell of burning undergrowth never ends.  It's all pretty routine now.  How much it harms the Bees and US?  Don't know.  But it can't be beneficial.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:02 AM »

i use some herbicides on my property.  like everything else, they are a tool to be used wisely.  put your bees as far away from your trees as you can.  don't contaminate water supplies.  spray as lightly as needed to do the job...which is usually a pretty light spray.  use something that breaks down quickly so that you are not contaminating the soil long term. 

do your homework and you should be fine. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next