Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE  (Read 2572 times)

Offline riverrat

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 391
  • Gender: Male
BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE
« on: February 02, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
I was out near one of my bee yards helping the owner with one of his trucks that had overheated the day before and spilled antifreeze in the gravel. it had soaked in to the ground but evidently the bees smelled something there they liked there was about 100 bees foraging around where it had spilled. I ended up washing it on down to get them to leave it alone. Has anyone heard of bees foraging antifreeze. They say not to leave it laying around because animals will be drawn to it because of its sweet taste. But I haven't seen bees go after it. Has anyone else observed this
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Michael Bush

  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 14791
  • Gender: Male
    • bushfarms.com
Re: BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
I had a similar experience and just hosed it down as well.  It did worry me some... I don't want antifreeze laced honey...
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline mherndon

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 145
  • Gender: Male
  • New Bee
Re: BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 10:09:20 PM »
Antifreeze shuts down the kidneys in animals to the best of my knowledge.  I does have a sweet taste that makes it difficult to keep animals out of it.  Vitamin K is the antidote and plenty of it if you catch it in time.  Not sure what it might do to bees though.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline johnnybigfish

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2039
  • Gender: Male
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »
Has anybody actually tasted it? Ive never thought of this before...I do know that in prison people drink it somehow for the buz!

your friend,
john

Offline indypartridge

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1113
Re: BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »
Antifreeze has a scent/taste that apparently is very tempting to pets. Spilled antifreeze has killed a lot of dogs, and some people have even deliberately (& irresponsibly) put it out if they're trying to get rid of wild dogs & coyotes. I sure wouldn't want my bees in it.

Offline greg spike

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 69
  • Gender: Male
Re: BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
It's either proplylene glycol or methanol, depends on the brand of antifreeze. Probably proplyne glycol, if bees like it. The stuff is used to sweeten toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. Not harmfull itself, but they add anti corrosives to it, reactive coppers and chromiums, those will mess up your liver and kidneys. Could put a dent in your bee population in a few weeks, but they couldn't have picked up much if it was spilled on soil, and you washed it away quickly.

Offline johnnybigfish

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2039
  • Gender: Male
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: BEES FORAGING ON ANTIFREEZE
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »
This is a trip what I just learned a few minutes ago....
The Swiffer wet jet?......Its got stuff in it that can kill a dog just like antifreeze if it gets it on its paws and licks it off! I dont have any sorces jerry, but it doesnt surprise me any!
your friend,
john