Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 06:51:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deathwish  (Read 6251 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »

annette, it's good that you don't own a gun if you are not comfortable with them.  they are a tool, and it takes some training to properly use the tool.  like a car.  smiley.  i remember the first time i drove.  i was scared to death...but i think it was more my dad than the car....

if for no other reason than to challenge yourself to overcome a fear, go take a few lessons someday.  you never know when it will come in handy, and you'll end up with one less fear in your life.

someday i intend to jump out of a plane.  i think i'll wait until i'm almost dead, though.  then if i splat or die of a heart attack i will not have lost much time.   yippie chick

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »

My choice would be a Glock .40.  As far as what I have available for someone stupid enough to break into my house (while I'm there) is a 12 gauge or a 30.06. Either will get the job done.

If I do purchase a handgun, I will put one of those laser sights on it, that red dot is easy to see in the dark, place the dot and shoot.

I still think a shotgun might be the best protection of all cause you don't have to be dead on with it. The spread pattern compensates for shakiness and nerve rattled would be victims.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »

jp, i agree.  only problem is that it doesn't fit in my pocket  smiley.  for home protection, you can't beat a shotgun.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »

jp, i agree.  only problem is that it doesn't fit in my pocket  smiley.  for home protection, you can't beat a shotgun.

Amen! Smiley
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 12:50:01 PM »

My choice would be a Glock .40.  As far as what I have available for someone stupid enough to break into my house (while I'm there) is a 12 gauge or a 30.06. Either will get the job done.

If I do purchase a handgun, I will put one of those laser sights on it, that red dot is easy to see in the dark, place the dot and shoot.

I still think a shotgun might be the best protection of all cause you don't have to be dead on with it. The spread pattern compensates for shakiness and nerve rattled would be victims.

...JP
10 gage with 00 for shot plus it's fun to shoot

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »

I'm really thinking "home protection" more than anything. After Katrina my neighborhood got quite scary and I slept with my shotgun by my side. With a new Governor in the house things were handled much more professionally and we didn't feel the urge to rush back home to see if looting had taken place after and during Gustave.

Our new governator, Bobby Jindal, is the best thing that's happened to our state in many, many years.

...JP

and

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 01:45:29 PM »

if we are very lucky, we may get him to be good for all of us.  i am very impressed with the little i have seen of him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »

He's very bright, to the point, a hard worker and comes up with practical solutions. He's def a thinking man but more so and even better a great "Doer".

...JP

and

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »

Is he Indian??  Yes I am answering my own question. Just that I have been to India so many times and have a nice feeling about East Indians.  Doesn't mean anything except to me.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 04:42:22 PM »

...JP

You ever shot a gun in a closed room? Doesn't matter what you shoot the noise alone would probably kill em. If you were to shoot a 12 gauge in a room it would sound like a howitzer going off. Either way yes it would help to have a spread but when that handgun starts barking anyone in the room is going to look for somewhere else to be Wink

Keith
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »

annette, it's good that you don't own a gun if you are not comfortable with them.  they are a tool, and it takes some training to properly use the tool.  like a car.  smiley.  i remember the first time i drove.  i was scared to death...but i think it was more my dad than the car....

if for no other reason than to challenge yourself to overcome a fear, go take a few lessons someday.  you never know when it will come in handy, and you'll end up with one less fear in your life.

someday i intend to jump out of a plane.  i think i'll wait until i'm almost dead, though.  then if i splat or die of a heart attack i will not have lost much time.   yippie chick

Kathy, you sound like me!  I did want to do it when younger but now with kids not so much.  I do know I'd jump out of a plane way before I would get on a surfboard with the sharks.. shocked
As for the shotgun, would be a great for me cause I'm blind as a bat, less chance of missing that way but only if my animals are not in the way..Annette, yes, go get some lessons, learn to handle, load, unload, take apart & put together.  Really isn't any diffent than changing bits on a drill, putting staples in a stapler...as Kathy said, it is a tool.  A FUN tool to play with by the way!!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
buzzbeejr
Josh
Youth Group
Field Bee

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »

around here we have a few laying around : Win. .32 special rifle, .38 special pistol, 12 Ga., and a .22 long rifle.  They are all VERY FUN to shoot.  I went out and bought a few boxes of shells the other day before the price goes up.

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »

Kathy, Jody and anyone else, correct me if my thinking is off here, especially those who have jumped out of planes before. You see, I have thought about sky diving before, even looked into it yrs ago and then as the years went by I grew much less interested.

But the other day, I was thinking about it and I wondered if its anything like riding a motorcycle all out at say speeds of 300 mph, or whatever it is when you're falling.

I've gone 125 on my bike before, many times in fact and it was very exhilarating.

Is sky diving like riding a motorcycle going 300 or whatever mph? If so, I bet the rush is just awesome!

...JP

and

poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »

JP, I truly don't know, haven't done either. 300 on a bike????YIKES!  That splat would be like having your parachute not open!  Would maybe like having a long flat good ground to let your horse gallop full tilt or driving one of the muscle cars of the late 60's early 70's, 120 or so...before radar traps of course..not that I ever did such a thing.. evil  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090202/ap_on_re_us/skydiver_death

Soldier on 1st skydive leads dying instructor down
By JEFFREY COLLINS, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Strapped to his dying instructor a few thousand feet from the ground on his first skydive, Daniel Pharr found himself floating toward a house and some trees.

The military taught the 25-year-old soldier not to panic. And TV taught him to pull the toggles on the already-deployed parachute to steer.

So Pharr grabbed the right handle and pulled to avoid the house and tugged again to miss the trees, landing safely in a field about a third of a mile from their intended landing spot.

Pharr said he wrestled out of the harness binding him to his instructor, George "Chip" Steele, and started CPR trying to save him from an apparent heart attack.

Steele was later pronounced dead, but the tragedy could have been worse: Other instructors at the skydiving school told Pharr if he had pulled the toggle too hard, the chute would have spun out of control, and he could be dead, too.

"They told me afterward that it was amazing that I knew to do that. This is my survival instinct at that point. I just kind of did what I had to do," said Pharr, taking a break Monday from his job at Fort Gordon near Augusta, Ga.

The jump was a Christmas gift from Pharr's girlfriend. The two went to Skydive Carolina in Chester on Saturday to jump from 13,500 feet in the air while attached to instructors.

Steele, 49, gave instructions as the plane climbed. He told Pharr he loved skydiving, having jumped more than 8,000 times.

They were the last of about 10 skydivers to jump out of the plane. Pharr enjoyed a minute of free fall as the cold air rushed by.

"He pulled the chute," Pharr said. "It got super quiet. It's eerily quiet up there. I made the comment to him, 'It's surprising how quiet it is.' And he's like: 'Welcome to my world.'"

A few seconds passed, and Pharr asked his instructor another question. This time, Steele didn't answer. Pharr repeated his question. No answer.

"And then I just looked up at him and he looked like he was conscious, but just talking to him, I realized something was wrong," Pharr said. "So at that point I realized I was just going to have to do what I had to do to get down to the ground and try to help him."

The pair ended up about a third of a mile from the airstrip where they were supposed to land, blocked from the spectators by trees. Pharr's CPR failed to revive Steele.

"My only thing walking away is that I wish I could have helped him," Pharr said. "I tried as hard as I could — all my training, I did everything I could."

After paramedics arrived and stepped in to diagnose Steele, Pharr asked them to call his girlfriend, Jessica Brunson, and mother, who was watching from the air strip.

Pharr's mother said all they knew at the time was from a brief message on another staffer's radio: A tandem pair was down and it didn't look good.

"It was an eternity," Darlene Huggins said, when asked how long it took her to hear her son's message he was safe. "No, really, it could have been 10, 15 minutes."

After talking to authorities, Pharr got to see his girlfriend, who he said kept her composure. "Once she saw me, she was in tears," he said.

Huggins said she asked the Lord to keep her son safe. "I just give the glory to God. He was just covered with that hedge of protection that us mamas pray for," she said.

Initial indications are Steele died of a heart attack. Chester County Coroner Terry Tinker said he would wait for a written report from Monday's autopsy before releasing an official cause of death.

Skydive Carolina General Manager James La Barrie released a statement saying it appeared Steele, a test jumper and instructor, died from a medical problem. No one answered the phone Monday at a listing for Steele in Sumter.

Pharr had to work Sunday, so he immediately went back to Fort Gordon, which is home of the Signal Corps, the communications nerve center of the Army, and deals heavily in military intelligence.

He joined the Army a year ago, leaving his job in Columbia selling alarm systems because he wanted to serve the country like his two grandfathers and get money to go to college. When asked what he does, Pharr laughed and said "can't tell you."

Fellow soldiers have been asking him about his jump for the past two days. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime story, and I told them I hope I never have to top it," Pharr said.

Pharr wants to jump again, but it looks like his first skydive will be his last.

"My family has told me I have to keep my feet on the ground," he said.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22:44 AM »

Yes I just love those movies and the one with Jody Foster (forgot the name of it). I am not packing anything though. Afraid of guns!!

Hi Annette:

I'm with you, anything that goes boom I have issues with, fire works of all kinds (except for sparklers - I'll hold them with pliers until I burn holes in my bee gloves) - lol.

There is just something, I think a phobia - although my one true fear is having to pick up broken glass, or work around it or sharp sheet metal. I guess I've been cut a few times too many and it really has me spooked.

I watched a short video of a woman cop wrestling with getting her gun to shoot as she was being moved back by a nutjob with a gun firing through his car window and slowly driving toward her. I don't know guns, but I swear it was a safety issue, she panicked and couldn't flip or slide the switch. She would have been more effective if she threw the gun at the driver.

That is why after debating the guns, ammo issue - and thinking on it, I really think it all matter WHO has the gun, are they competent and safe with it, or do they feel like they have a lit stick of dynomite or a pin-pulled granade in their hands. I fall into these categories and although I know it's my right to bear arms, I choose not too.

The scary part to me though is I know there are lots of people in the world who possess weapons and are not qualified or competent to operate them - but some of these people feel it necessary to bring them into their homes for protection or whatever they do with them, and end up blowing their foot or face off.

Just cause it is your Right to guns DOESN'T necessarilly mean you should have them. I think that is my conclusion - for all of you who are qualified and competent with your weapons, there is a little piece of me who is jealous - but the bigger part of me is happy knowing I don'thave one, it would be like handling broken glass bare handed to me - no thanks.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »

Not bragging, but what caliber would you like?  My favorite shooter is my S&W 1911, but it's too big for me to carry, when we're going up north into the woods we both carry our .40 caliber Glock Model 23s  (interchangeable mags so we have less to carry/worry about).  My pocket gun is a Kel-Tec P-3AT .380, very concealable.  We've got a couple of 9 mm (not my favorite to shoot) and Greg has a Sig Sauer 1911.  I know there are more, plus several long guns (he knows better than I what we've got there, although I do know we've got the AR15 and SKS, fun to shoot!)

We are both trained to shoot them all.  The best and only way to get comfortable with guns is to handle them, with proper training, and shoot them.  They're tools, they aren't anything to be fearful of, unless you're on the wrong end of one!

This is my home defense rifle  evil

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »

Mine also. Just the sound of jacking a round will scare the bad guy away

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »

I carry a Glock 23 .40 cal.

http://www.ssgtactical.com/glock23p.jpg

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »

And remember the first rule of any gun.

They are always loaded

Jerry

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next