Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 02:32:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: supers and miticide  (Read 500 times)
malabarchillin
House Bee

« on: January 26, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »

Ok another attempt at a Miticide application question.
I was going to buy sucrocide for mites, but it seems that the State of Florida has not
re-approved (?) its use for 2009 in Florida yet.  I have some Apivar but still have a super on each hive for overwintering. A local beek assures me that the remaining honey in those supers will be used before the spring flow starts.
Of course it would be best to not use or need miticides, but...
My question is once treated, will the supers be unusable for honey in the future or after the current honey is consumed by the bees from the treated super that it would be ok to be refilled with honey ?
Thanks
Mike
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »

I haven't used miticides at all, but if I recall the data correctly you can use the honey as long as it was deposited after the miticide was removed from the colony.   The miticide will build up on/in the comb and it's possible that it could contaminate the honey in small amounts. 

Since I'm trying to develop mite resistant bees all I do is an occassional sugar shake and let them fend for themselves.  I truly believe that relying on miticides is doing more harm than good.  It might be cheaper, in the short haul, to use miticides but the future of bees, themselves, is going to be mite resistance.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
malabarchillin
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:02:39 PM »

agreed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next