Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 12:28:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pregnancy and bee care  (Read 1120 times)
bberry
House Bee

Playing with wool is good for your soul

« on: January 24, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience tending their hives while very pregnant? Right now it's not such a worry as they are all laid in for winter and such but my thoughts are roaming to spring and early summer duties. I'll be very preggers then beyond the lifting and maneuvering issues (AND FITTING MY GEAR) are stings a worry? Anything i should be thinking about? I think i'm more excited about getting back into my hives then the baby coming tongue so i hope i can manage.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience tending their hives while very pregnant?

I've never had any problems. And although I have always said I would try anything once (with a few exceptions) this is one I don't think is possible.   grin

I do hear some say that the "birds and the bees" do have something with pregnancy.... rolleyes

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

I haven't heard anything on this subject but here's my .02. If you aren't generally speaking, highly allergic to stings, I think you will be fine and my opinion is the baby would be unaffected as well. But, what if you did have a severe allergic response and went into anaphylatic shock? This could in my opinion affect your baby. My advice, talk to your doctor and suit up head to toe.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »

If you don't normally have any type of bad reaction, other than the typical short term swelling and itching I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
I got stung when I was pregnant and it was fine. It was only one sting though.I had the same typical reaction that I normally do.
Jp is right, suit up head to toe and you should be fine. Just no heavy lifting. Smiley
It might make you feel better to talk to your doctor though, it will put your mind at ease.
Koala John
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »

Congratulations Bberry!
My wife has just given birth a few days ago, and has been told not to lift anything much heavier than the baby for several weeks (natural birth, not Cesarean). So bear in mind that after the birth there is a good chance that you shouldn't/can't be lifting a deep for some time after the birth. Also, the last couple of months, my better half was exhausted. So I suggest if possible you plan your hive management so that you don't need to do any heavy lifting or laborious work for the month or two before and after the birth.

It's unlikely you'll fit into a bee jacket, I've never seen a pregnancy jacket - there's a niche market!! I guess a veil might be the only option.

Best of luck, let us know how you go, and when your little beekeeper arrives  grin   grin
bberry
House Bee

Playing with wool is good for your soul

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »

Thanks all!
I am not generally allergic to stings so i hope it won't be a problem, suiting up is the more daunting challenge for sure. hmmmm, i like that niche market for the maternity bee gear-like maternity wear isn't hideous enough grin rolleyes
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »

Wow how exciting, a pregnant beekeeper. Good luck with handling the bees and the baby.

DaveKow
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »

We will want pictures.  I have never seen a pregnant beek.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next