Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 30, 2014, 02:58:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Credit/Debit Cards PHOEY!!  (Read 1258 times)
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« on: January 24, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »

So there I am standing in a long line of customers getting some grocerys for home right, all bagged up and ready to roll, slide the card and it says, sorry declined. Well you know the first thing is ooops I guess I put the wrong number in there. so you try it again, and same results, hmmmm ok so credit card the darn thing, this happens at some stores , debit dont work credit does, nope now it says no account available. Really strange, and of course by this time people behind you are starting to fidget, dang, now what, if your like me you don't carry around a couple hundred dollars in your pocket. So ok then you make some excuse and say i'll be right back gotta get a check. Cause I don't carry those around either. Guess I am gonna start. Well since you live like 1000 miles for the store, by the time you get back, they put all the stuff you bought back.  Geezzz, so around you go again,

Now first thing in the morning , like today, call the bank and ask what the @#$% is goin on here. They politely tell you, oh there was a breach of security at the local card issueing office, so to protect you we canceled your card, you'll get a letter in a few days and a new card in about 7-10 days. Sweet, huh, now remember you use that card for paying bills on line, your paypal account, in general just about everything I do is online, to say that I am PO would be an understatement, this is the second time for me , last year it did it too. now were not talking a shaby card here its Mastercard.

Now I have to change every darn link to that card in the internet, what a pain in the butt. Paypal freaks out, they want authorization emails , confirmations, takes like two weeks of bull.

It would seem that I now need to carry large amounts of cash on person, and stick my 9mm in my pocket, so I can make sure no one decides to rob me of my cash.
All I can say after this rant is what is this world coming too. Certainly doesn't look good.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »

That happend to me too. My bank had my email address and didn't bother to email me about it. The way people look at me when this happened made me feel like a bum. I went to the bank took out my money now I go to a credit union.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:47:22 AM »

That happend to me too. My bank had my email address and didn't bother to email me about it. The way people look at me when this happened made me feel like a bum. I went to the bank took out my money now I go to a credit union.

Trust me that thought has entered my mind also, but there again, alot of bills are auto paid from the bank, I get my paycheck auto deposit, so more headaches to switch that out too. Just more bloody PITA.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »

that happened to me also a long time ago.  i canceled the card and went with a citi card.  they are really good about keeping track of spending and calling if anything is fishy to them.  once, my husband and i used our cards at the same time in different states.  they called me before i got out of the store!

it's your money.  if you are not happy with what they have done, let them know and if you don't feel satisfied, leave.  companies that don't serve their customers deserve to lose business.

smiley side note.....i once left a bank because they angry me off.  i walked up to the counter and demanded my money!  imagine my surprise when i found out that the bank will not give you a chunk of money like that even if it is yours.   huh   i ended up going to the new bank, finding out that they could, and would, do what i wanted,  and transferring my money that way....  it wasn't painful. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »

Yeah, know the hassel about large amounts of money.  Couple of years ago I bought an excavator from a nearby farmer.  He was about ninety years old and had decided to slow down a little.  Was selling some of his larger equipment that he would no longer be using.  An excavator, some large bulldozers, combine, etc.  Was just going to farm a couple of hundred acres and wouldn't need the big stuff any more.  Well, I bought the excavator ( I know whats a Quad going to do with an excavator your asking?) to use on my place.  The ninety year old farmer wants cash.  Says he hasn't been in a bank since the crash o'29.  So off I go to mine.  Guess what?  Can't get more than $9999.00 at a time with out filling out a ton o'paper.  Something about drug money laundering and the Feds trying to stop it.  So I had to get cash from three different banks to avoid the Fed hassel. 
beemused
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »

We use a national chain bank debit card since we used to travel extensively.We did not and still do not use any credit cards. Checks were deposited to our account electronically and the balance was over $4000 when this happened:
 About 12 years ago I found a deal on some parts we needed and the terms were cash so went to the bank to draw out around $2400. I was told the system was down so no one could withdraw cash or use their debit cards for cash. We could use the cards or write a check the teller told me, just not to the bank. This was a Friday and I was to meet the seller on Saturday AM to take delivery. Of course the system did not get up again until Monday and I missed out on the deal. That Monday I went to the bank, explained the aggravation and withdrew all except $100 in the checking acct and all our savings and cd's. They couldn't care less. To this day my average balance is about the same, $100 in checking and no savings acct.   So now I only use the debit card by first depositing the amount I intend to purchase something with (only online) while keeping all other purchases to cash. Any funds over the $100 are withdrawn immediately.
The plus to this is that I got out of the banking system before the current unsettled system and got used to dealing in cash which  has saved me money on many occasions. I would not ever again trust my money to an electronic robot.

Bruce

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »

About a month ago I get a call from my credit union fraud department. The call was at 7AM. They asked me if I used my credit card on kalahari.com, the amazon of South Africa. I said no, they said good, because charge was denied. Someone got my number. I ask fraud department,"So where did the person want to ship the items?" Answer, We dont care as we stopped the fraud befdore it happend. I said I wanted to know, maybe the breach was "local" and I could address issue. I got no where w/ them, I was glad they were on their toes, but wanted them to ferret out the wrong doer. I

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »

Wow...
I try to use cash as often as possible (cash is psychological...spend on average 20% more with cards).

My wife still pays the bills the old way with a check in the mail...hasn't failed us yet.

I guess this is another reason not to try the online payments as they are always pushing me to use. I've considered it...

Thanks, Rick

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:01:31 PM »

i have not had a problem paying bills online, but i do it through my bank, not the credit card or utility sites.  my bank has a fraud guarantee program.  it saves the postage....

i use credit cards, but pay my bill in full each month.  i never carry a card that charges me.  i only carry cards that have a cash back reward program.  that way i get to use their money for free, and get a little back each year.  it's convenient to keep track of expenses that are tax decutable...like expenses on rental property, etc.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »

I only use a debit card, no credit.
I have had a few problems, one time the wife took the card and went to a local bank, got the pin number wrong and the machine ate the card, this was on a saturday, so monday morning I went in and explained and asked for my card back. I was told no deal, all cards in the machine from any bank other than theirs had to be destroyed...period. I was without a card for about ten days then had to go fix all the accounts that were auto pay with the old card.
Funny thing is late last year I drove down to Ruhls bee supply to buy my start up gear, total spent was $625, a couple days later I notice there is a message from my credit union on the house phone, I call them and they say they notice an unusual charge in Oregon and was it possible fraud, I said no and all was good, however if I had never called them back they would not have followed up on the matter. I made some even bigger purchases in England a couple of years ago and they never called me on those.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next