Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 26, 2014, 01:49:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you like some heat?  (Read 2496 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: January 24, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »

Next week here: 82,92,98,101,104,95,100. YUK!

We missed summer til last week. It has been so nice and mild, Ive been loving it. Down to 12-15c of a night and 25ish of a day most times.

Bushfires started last week, luckily nothing major. Small stubborn fires out the back of me saw the Sky Crane and Hueys water bombing, was interesting to watch.

I know its been cold in the US, -6c during the day is a bit nippy I must say! If it got that cold here, we wouldnt know what to do! We would keep running outside to see how cold it is, and running back in to see how warm it is! All the cars would freeze and everyone would chuck a sickie!
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »

chuck a sickie huh huh huh

Keith
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »

Maybe it means use a sick day @ work & school??? huh   I don't know which is worse, too cold or too hot! Can't take the heat anymore, makes me feel *blah* no energy. Freezing & snow come with their own problems. That's why I live here PNW, on NORMAL years 40ish winter & 70ish summer. grin  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »

You got it right poke-a -bee. The phone call is " I'm sick today . Wont be at work". Well there will be a lot of sickies chucked till the weekend as the days are going to be 40, 40, 39 and 40 (Celcius that is). Lots of sporting events have already been cancelled.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »

Thought so just never heard the expression

Keith
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »

82F today for the High.  But Tomorrow the low is going to be 28F. Up down up down up down - I'm getting sea sick and I haven't moved!!  cool rolleyes cool
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »

Amended forecast:

100 yesterday, 104 today, 110 tomorrow, 108 friday, then maybe some respite with a dry change.

Most of the State is on fire alert. It is school holidays, so I am watching the 40 acres of dry reeds 10 yards form me with interest. last week some local residents further up the line from me did a lil scrub clearing. Elvis the Sky crane and his mate Bluey were fire bombing, filling up from the bay infront of me. Fun to watch. If it wasnt a local, then it was a firebug as three fires were the same MO.

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »

Amended forecast:

100 yesterday, 104 today, 110 tomorrow, 108 friday, then maybe some respite with a dry change.

Most of the State is on fire alert. It is school holidays, so I am watching the 40 acres of dry reeds 10 yards form me with interest. last week some local residents further up the line from me did a lil scrub clearing. Elvis the Sky crane and his mate Bluey were fire bombing, filling up from the bay infront of me. Fun to watch. If it wasnt a local, then it was a firebug as three fires were the same MO.

Glad to see Idiots are universal. We have the same idiots in America they go out and see what can burn

Keith
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »

Its a warm 115 here atm, the hottest day in my life and just off the all time record since they began in the 1800s. They now say its going to be well over 100 for another week.

naturally this is a first for my life time, never been as hot as this.

Of course we are in a drought and will be locked up if we use a sprinkler to cool off, all the gardens are dead, everyones vegies gone.

Bees hanging in there with the combination of water dripping on the hive and shade, but I must be very close to melting.

If the power stays on, we will be ok, its touch and go.

I dunno what is going to be like after another week of this!

Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 06:00:49 AM »

Your southern weather is like our daily rainfall for the past 3 weeks.. 100 points, 110 points..115 points...  Anyway, the solution to your hives melting would be to shift them to Queensland where they will be much cooler, especially if they end up floating down a flooded gully.

Lone (who hopes to chuck a Flood Leave day tomorrow)
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

Yes I wish you banana benders would stop pinching all the rain!
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 01:48:37 AM »

Ok well yesterday ended up at 47C thats about 116f. Ridiculous! Power failed, so trans and trams failed. At one stage 1 million people were without power. Some have been off for 4 days, 4 days of over 100 with no electricity, bloody disgrace! Bloody Government!

Now we have a week of 90-100 deg with 70-80% humidity. The heatspell just survived was 10-15% humidity.

Driest January on record. 0.0mm of rain.

We all survived, although in SA where similar conditions ae occuring, 20 oldies have died due to heat stress.

Fires not as bad as they could have been, as we have had no howling northerlies, 20 houses lost so far, no lives.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24993757-661,00.html

30 dead in my state, 50 in SA. Bloody terrible. If t hey were killed by fire, front page news

Because they are old, barely rates a mention.
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 07:03:01 PM »

Hello Mick,

Those deaths certainly made it into the Queensland news.

Here, we have had rain 16 days in January, and rain for the past 10 days.  Cyclone Ellie has dissipated but monsoon troughs are bringing more rain.  The bees would be suffering from wet pollen and nectar.

We also had a power blackout over most of Queensland last week, they say due to one or two faults somewhere on the line.  A sparky here said a while ago that it would be easy to disrupt the power in Queensland if some hooligan wanted to.  I'm sure privatisation and self regulation hasn't helped, but I reckon folk shouldn't rely on power so much.  Having said that, one time we had a problem with the power and the company came within an hour at 5 am and asked why we waited so long to call them.

Hope things pick up Mick and Geoff and the other Mexicans,

Lone.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »

We have been lucky in the last week, temps in the 80-90s. Tomorrow will be 115 with winds up to 40 miles an hour. Its a total fire ban today, and its only 70 or so. Only the second time I think a TFB has been called as a prevention for the following day.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »

We occasionally have temps into the mid 100's in the summer and that is bad enough. I experienced 115 in Arizona over 30 years ago and that was horrible. I cannot imagine how terrible it must be for you to experience this kind of heat for such a long time. Your conditions are unbelievable over there.

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »

When it comes to temperatures I have been the victim of its extremes.  While in the Army I went from -36F in Sapporro, Japan to 120F on the tarmac of the Saigon, Vietnam airport.  Direct flight, with stops in Okinowa and Taiwan.  So in the space of 12 hours I when through a climate change of 156 degrees.  I walked out the hatch of the airplane and fainted from the heat, I was told I slid down the stairs like I was part of a Tom & Jerry cartoon.  Instant heatstroke.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
qabloona
New Bee

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 10:39:49 PM »

Below -20C in Ottawa, Canada. At least here you just put on an extra layer. Hope it cools off for you guys and warms up a notch for us.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 02:51:42 AM »

There was a bloke in the paper that came here from Norway in the 60s, -40c in Norway, 40c in Brisbane when he landed. Thats crazy, 80 degrees c difference.

The State Coroner says 150 people died in last weeks heatwave, the Morgue is full.

The State Premier has "told" everyone to stay home, bad luck its a Saturday.

They caught one firebug, 19 yo CFA (Country Fire Authority) Volunteer. "Lit the fires so his unit could put them out". I dunno about where you live, but it seems more than half the firebugs we catch work for the CFA.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 11:13:48 AM »

They caught one firebug, 19 yo CFA (Country Fire Authority) Volunteer. "Lit the fires so his unit could put them out". I dunno about where you live, but it seems more than half the firebugs we catch work for the CFA.

Happens here to, it seems that have the grass and forest fires that plague California every year are arson related and often the result of a "new" volunteer firefighter high on the action.  Their intention is to start a small fire and put it out right away but nature is a bit unpredictable and it, more often than not, gets totally out of hand.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next