Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 12:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dont Drown! Learn to swim!  (Read 1193 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: January 21, 2009, 02:30:53 AM »

I have spoken before of the number of non Australian born people here that go down to the beach to drown each summer.

I think last year was 19 or 21, whos counting. Yesterday a 4 year old drowned on one of my local beaches that would have had 5000 people on it.

When I grew up, everyone was taught to swim. It was part of school. Its still the norm with most of us. However if you are born out of Australia it seems that you have no concept of swimming. Must be a cultural thing.

BTW, the sharks have got about 6 people in the last coupla months. I think 3 got away. Must be hingry those Great Whites. This one was about 6 metres long and spat the 13yo girl out.

I think you can see the size of the bite. Cant say the camera lies with this one. Surfer=Seal/Turtle to a Shark.

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:39:35 AM »

When I grew up, everyone was taught to swim. It was part of school. Its still the norm with most of us. However if you are born out of Australia it seems that you have no concept of swimming. Must be a cultural thing.
And also perhaps a generational thing? It seems when I was a kid (60's & early 70's) that swimming was a common summertime activity for kids. Now it seems that fewer kids swim, and they swim less often than we did.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »

Ha, Ha, Ha! Good One. I see the irony.

It's like a huge billboard saying "Save Your Life - Learn How To Swim"

Then at the bottom in smaller writing, reading "Brought to you by the disabled attack victims of sharks".

Just messing with you Mick.  grin

But I must say, starting off telling everyone the importance of learning to swim (which I agree with) followed up by stories and shark attack stats, and highlighted by full blown color pictures, is a bit amusing.

What's next "Learn how to ski - brought to you by the Sony Bono foundation"  grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »

Don't remember how we got on the subject exactly but yesterday I was telling my nephew I would not swim in waters that had Great Whites. So what if you have a better chance of getting hit by lightening, I'd rather get hit by lightening.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »

To me swimming is staying alive while you're in the water. Don't care for the water much. But I have this above ground swimming pool I take care of every year for the rest of the family. I think it has been two maybe three years since I have gotten in it.  rolleyes

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »

I was a lifeguard for a few years and know the importance of swimming. Saved a few speople along the way too. I agree, there appears to be more drownings. Maybe its just overexposure from the press and a perception. Maybe the seas are rougher or have more undertow. I was recently in Cabo San Lucas Mexico, and the hotels will not let you swim in the Pacific. Even the locals dont go in so much undertow. Looked so inviting

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »

Ah well, I know some of you are interested in sharks, so I couldnt resist!
irerob
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:44:43 PM »

I love to swim just not any place I might be considered bait. shocked

You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »

I love to swim just not any place I might be considered bait. shocked

That leaves skiing in the Everglades out then, right?  Or how to troll for crocodiles and alligators.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:22:03 PM »

Mick, that's why I don't get in the water unless it's a hot tub!  Used to love to swim as a kid, now not at all.  I too am amazed at how many people can't swim, does up my chances of getting to the life raft & gives the sharks something to play with while I float away.. evil  So many parents let their kids near water without life jackets.  Kids can get into trouble in the blink of an eye so unless you are tethered to them watching every second, they need to be jacketed up!  How many times have we heard, I just looked away for a second..he/she was just here a minute ago... Sad That pic just gives me the willies...**shiver**  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:02 AM »

Another thought, Mick, is something I learned during my years living in Southern California: knowing how to swim, and knowing how to swim IN THE OCEAN can be quite different. While living there, I often read about vacationers who had come to the beach; rented a boogie board and hit the waves and either drowned or needed rescued. They knew how to swim, but were used to a pond or pool - nice quiet waters. They didn't know how to deal with the crashing surf of an ocean beach with riptides and undertow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next