Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 03:47:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brassicas!!! Let's go!!!  (Read 2737 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: January 18, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »

OK, as promised, I will start a thread of favourite vegetables and how we cook them:

Boiled cabbage, all on its own or with a white sauce

Brussels sprouts, boiled with butter

Cauliflower and broccoli, gotta be done with a cheddar white sauce

Collard greens, sauteed with just a little onion within

Let's talk, bring those EASY veggie suggestions on.  I need some EXTRA suggestions for the dinner table tonight.  It is Sunday, that is the day for that roast beef/duck/chicken.....any meat that I can make gravy, along with mashed potatoes!!!  Have a wonderful and most awesomely great day, attract great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »

Cindi you almost got it. But there can't be anything added. No butter or salt or sauces. Just the veggies. And the Cauliflower and broccoli can be raw or boiled or steamed.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Jessaboo
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »

The sure fire way to get folks to eat their brassicas - add bacon.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts:
1/2 lb bacon
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup pine nuts
2 lbs brussels sprouts, shredded
3 scallions, minced
Salt and pepper to taste.

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain (reserve a few tablespoons of grease), crumble and set aside.
Melt butter and reserved bacon grease in skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook until browned. Add brussels and scallions, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until tender (10 to 15 minutes). Stir in crumbled bacon just before serving.

- Jess

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:30:44 PM »

Jess, oh I know what you are saying!!!  I make a mean, green  bean dish!!!  I like to have my green beans Frenched, that seems to  bring out the best of the best as far as flavour goes.

Anyways, I do not follow a recipe, but what I do follow is that:

green beans, anyway you like them cut or cooked
A white sauce (just like a cheese sauce, but the cheese omitted, or leave the cheese in, that would be good too)
a whack of bacon cooked

Add the bacon to the beans/sauce, oh that be so yummy!!!  I actually have some brussels sprouts in the fridge right now, I think I am going to slice them up as you say, cook a few of those wonderful onions (I do so love scallions, smiling, oh so good) and add some of those them there pine nuts, oh yes, you got a good dinner idea coming on.  Beautiful day in this great life, attract great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »

What are you feeding, goats or rabbits?

Iff'in it hain't meat or seafood, it hain't fittin' fer humans.  rolleyes  grin

I'll force about any veggie down if I have enough fish or meat to kill the taste.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »

Oh Iddee, we be feedin' those human beings, we be lovin' all those veggies, you need to get that together, never mind meat to choke them down, veggies are good for ya!!!   shocked  Didn't ya know?  Eat yo' veggies!!!  Have a great, wonderful day, attract that great health.  Cindi

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »

My favorite veggie hands down is sweet corn boiled in the same pot alongside the crawfish, with all the spices so hot its hard to take but then you have the sweetness of the corn at the same time so so so good. I also really like the pearl onions done the same way in the same pot.  Oh so good

Keith
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »

Keith you forgot the potatoes when you cook the crawfish

Johnny
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »

Not the biggest fan of the potatoes but I will eat em'

Keith
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 05:56:08 PM »

It's easier for me to list the veggies I don't like, because they are few - actually, only one, and that's green peppers.  Did you know green peppers aren't ripe?  That's why they disagree with some people (like me).  Red peppers are yummy, green peppers are yucky!  I absolutely adore roasted red peppers, I make my own by broiling them until they're blackened, and then putting them into a paper bag to cool.  The steam just about steams off the peel, easily gotten rid of....I love them and can eat them by the plateful!

Most veggies I like just steamed with a little butter (gotta have the butter).  My favorite veggie fresh from the garden are peas, picked, shelled and quickly steamed - they're sweeter than any sweet corn!  Of course sweet corn is my second favorite fresh from the garden.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »

I love all veggies xcept for lima beans & cooked peas.  Love the peas right out of the shell but not cooked.  Green beans the same, still warm from the summer sun, wiped on your jeans to clean!  Cooked are *ehh* will eat but not thrilled.  Lima beans are icky.  tongue  Had brussels the other day, I like home made basalmic/cider & olive oil italian dressing on em!  Spaghetti squash w/fresh tomatoes (well, as fresh as you can get this time of year.) tonight for us girls! MMnnn!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »

Nothing beats a bowl of Jersey Tomatoes, garden cucumbers and sweat onion drowned in balsamic EVOO and a little crushed garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. and Jersey white corn grilled after rubbing in a salty rub.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »

What are you feeding, goats or rabbits?

Iff'in it hain't meat or seafood, it hain't fittin' fer humans.  rolleyes  grin

I'll force about any veggie down if I have enough fish or meat to kill the taste.

Every bite of veggies should be balanced with at least 2 bites of meat or seafood.  That's a balanced diet.  You don't have to weigh it to know that.

Potatos on the other hand are bulk hunger killers.  A few pounds of potatos, with gravey, will keep you going for a while.
I was raised on meat we either grew ourselves, shot, or dug (seafood) and lots of potatos and gravy to kill the hunger.  I remember many a meal of a single small fish or drumstick and 2 large plates of potatos and gravy.  Depression era feasts, seems we're headed that way again.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:01:16 PM »

KD, ooohhh, you are making me want summer now!  MMMM!  A bit if fresh mozzarella, some fresh basil....ahhh! Wink

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Jessaboo
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:01 PM »

Hey - am I just noticing Kona'sDad's new logo or is it indeed - a new logo?!?

Looks great either way!

And onto tomatoes - I am holding out hope that some of these heirloom "long keeper" tomatoes may be the trick for next winter's tomato cravings - anyone tried them? (Burpee's Long Keeper, Green Skinned Long Keeper, etc.)

- Jess
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »

- Jess

What!!!!  I almost fell of my chair, I am serious, I am shocked to end that be all shock!!!

Konasdad

Kona'sDad

Now Seth, you need to tell me, I really need to know this thing, so please, please tell me.  Is that what Jess wrote, Kona'sDad what your avitar name really means?  If it is, I am shocked to that curly old brassica leaf, that I have never picked up on this before, that shocks me in an unbelievable way.

If that is not what your avitar name means, then tell us what Konasdad does me.  You know me, I can't stand it when I don't understand something, I am serious!!!   shocked shocked shocked  Have a wonderful and great day, love our life, attract great health.  Cinid

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »

Green beans the same, still warm from the summer sun, wiped on your jeans to clean!   J

Oh Jody, surely you are indeed my twin!!!  I wipe all the dirty veggies, strawberries, whatever on my jeans and then munch.  I never ever thought a little dirt would kill me, I just don't like the little grit that sometimes does not get wiped off, but I eat it anyways, so what.....chickens eat grit to digest their food, why can't I, smiling.... cool cheesy  Have a great and wonderful day, love our life, attract and keep great health.  Cindi

KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »

- Jess

What!!!!  I almost fell of my chair, I am serious, I am shocked to end that be all shock!!!

Konasdad

Kona'sDad

Now Seth, you need to tell me, I really need to know this thing, so please, please tell me.  Is that what Jess wrote, Kona'sDad what your avitar name really means?  If it is, I am shocked to that curly old brassica leaf, that I have never picked up on this before, that shocks me in an unbelievable way.

If that is not what your avitar name means, then tell us what Konasdad does me.  You know me, I can't stand it when I don't understand something, I am serious!!!   shocked shocked shocked  Have a wonderful and great day, love our life, attract great health.  Cinid

Yes its my new logo> Thanx for noticing. I miss my dog photo of Kona. My best friend! I added it to my avitar about a week ago I guess. Still working on a club logo though.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »

Seth, OK, I know.  Kona was the name of your dear ol' pooch.  I shoulda have known that, and somehow, when I am trying to retrieve something from the cobwebs of my mind, I do recall that your pooch's name was Kona.   I just never put the two and two together, to picture you as her Dad, I am sorry.  You be KonaDad, that will live on my memory.

You go and have a most wonderful and awesome day, attract and retain great health.  Cindi

Seth, is Kona still living with you?  I need to know.  If she still is, can you put her along with the new honey logo?  If she isn't, can she fit in the logo too?  Somehow?  C.

KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 11:23:57 AM »

Seth, is Kona still living with you?  I need to know.  If she still is, can you put her along with the new honey logo?  If she isn't, can she fit in the logo too?  Somehow?  C.

Yes, Kona is alive and well. He is 4 1/2 at the moment. I expect him for another 10yrs or so.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next