Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 02, 2014, 03:45:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liver and Onions...  (Read 6192 times)
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »

Dutch Oven Liver & Onions

Rinse and flour (breading) liver with seasoned flour.
Place layer of bacon across the bottom of the Dutch Oven.
Place floured liver on top of bacon.
Layer onion slices over top of liver slices.
Add 2 Tblsp water.

Heat bacon until it begins fat begins to glaze then add other ingredients. Simmer for 45 minutes.

The result is liver that is more like Salisbary steak, soft, with a hint of bacon.  The juice makes a great gravy and only needs a tad more thickening (flour or Corn Starch)

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 07:38:49 PM »

well if they every have a liver shortage yaw cant blame it on me, can't stand it (any kind) just something that is nasty to me.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »

Brian I am going to have to try cooking liver in my dutch oven.  That made my mouth water.  Yes calf liver is very tender and deer liver is larpin' too.  I guess I'm backwoods cause I do like some animal innards.  BTW, sweetbreads are outstanding.  Guess it's how we were raised up... banana devil
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 11:17:19 PM »

We used to make a kidney pie out of the kidneys and heart.  Yes, Sweet breads are good too.

It was more like a shepards pie with chopped kidneys and heart. 

The English version of Kidney pie is made from Kidneys and steak and baked in a real pie crust.

And for you suasage lovers, grind your meat, mix in the seasonings. And then, this is the important part, Wash out the small intestine and fill with the sausage mix.  Twist 3 times every six inches or so.   You can make larger sausages by making the twists every foot or 2 instead of inches.  (That's the old way of doing it.  You knew the sausage was done cooking when the skin (intestine) split. 

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 08:04:47 AM »

>>>>Liver. Eating the organ that filters all of the poisons out of an animals system is not my thing.<<<<

But I am betting you will eat an unborn fetus which came out of a bird's hindend.......... Better known as an egg.

I like liver only when cooked with tomato sauce. The tomato seems to reduce the strong liver smell and taste.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »

Fresh liver is the only way to go. When I do get it I soak it in orange juice over night. It takes away the strong liver taste.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »

Hey, you guys ever eat or even heard of sweetbreads? I watch Top Chef and Iron Chef, my two favorite shows incidentally, and sweetbreads seem to be some fancy delicacy. Never even heard of it myself until it was mentioned on the tube. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetbread

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 02:20:57 PM »

Hey, you guys ever eat or even heard of sweetbreads? I watch Top Chef and Iron Chef, my two favorite shows incidentally, and sweetbreads seem to be some fancy delicacy. Never even heard of it myself until it was mentioned on the tube. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetbread

...JP

Love sweatbreads. When cooked correctly, buttery smooothe. Difficult to truly master as temp needs to be very accurate or it gets tough. Truly a delicacy.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »

My sentiments exactly!!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »

Does it taste like chicken?

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »

I use to work in the kitchen of a nursing home and there was one extremely hot summer day when we had to cook 105 liver and onion dinners.
I still can't get the smell out of my head.
My parents use to cook it growing up but I refused to eat it then and I refuse to eat it now. I don't know how that part of any animal can be good for you anyways.
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »

Sweetbreads are very tender if fixed right, yes a light sort of taste.  One might think it tastes like chicken but could be beef, pork or lamb. The ones I like come from a cow.  My aunt fixed them for me and my son out in California a few years ago.  I didn't know there was such a thing at that time.  The place where we get meat processed in Macon, MO has them so I try to keep some in the freezer.  Yum.  Man, I'm getting hungry.  Didn't mean to make anyone sick, everyone has their own taste.  Frog legs anyone?   grin
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 10:53:55 PM »

Ich.....I feel like I am getting sick, smiling.

When we took our last bunch of Muscovy drakes to the slaughterhouse, my Sister insisted that I insist that the dude give me all the internal organs that people like to eat, ich.....still thinking about it makes me almost sick.  By the time 15 ducks were done in and their good inside parts chucked into a pail with a lid, with ice cubes in it, I could barely carry it.  Man those dudes must have had some pretty big inside parts that we got from them. I took them to my Sister, not wanting to know what she did with all those tidbits.  I think these inside parts are called giblets or something like that.  There is the liver, and the food grinder thingy (can't recall what that is called).  I think that she made some kind of pate with that stuff.  Never asked, never really wanted to know.  But that was alot of slimy things that went into that big ol' bucket.  ich....blech...have a most wonderful and great day, attract great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 11:54:46 PM »

Cindi, that is gross! tongue  The gizzard is what you are thinking about.  Actually they are not so bad as far as "organ" meats go cause they are a muscle as is the heart. They are very tough though & have a gristle running through so you have to cook forever. Liver & the rest are slimy icky gutty ooze! You could take that stuff, boil it up outside cool & feed to the dogs & chix...Funny thing about giblets..well maybe not to the guys but us Lamond girls refer to "guy parts" as giblets.... evil Amanda & Chels are keeping up the tradition! grin  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »

oh you guys....  nothing is more disappointing than buying a whole bird and finding the liver was not included sad.  makes me miss raising my own!  cindi, she probably made that great gravy that you all had, with those innards   grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jessaboo
House Bee

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »

LOVE liver and onions - chicken or beef liver. We soak it in milk about 1/2 hour before cooking to tenderize a bit. Use a little red wine when cooking. Yum. I guess I like goose and duck liver too as I have always liked pates.

The thing that destroys most people I know is that we eat our liver and onions with a side of BRUSSELS SPROUTS. If they weren't gagging before, they usually are by now...

Think I just decided what's for dinner tonight.

- Jess
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »

BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!!!

I really like Brussels Sprouts. Boiled cabbage. yum yum

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:14 AM »

BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!!!

I really like Brussels Sprouts. Boiled cabbage. yum yum

rolleyes now your talking about something good to eat Jerry, can't say that for liver, I can say that liver and onions can be very good but the way you fix it is what count's, cook liver and onions slowly until tender then when cooked, throw out the liver and eat the onions lau  thats about the only way I could eat it  Lips Sealed

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »

oh you guys....  nothing is more disappointing than buying a whole bird and finding the liver was not included sad.  makes me miss raising my own!  cindi, she probably made that great gravy that you all had, with those innards   grin

Kathy, no way!!!  I made the gravy and I KNOW what went into the gravy, hee, hee, and it was not the gut things!!!  Kathy, why don't you raise your own?  You used to right? You have the property/land, go for it girl!!!

I have a story about meat birds I will tell one day.  Nothing too interesting, just something I saw at the slaughterhouse guys place, this thread is about liver and onions, I should try to keep to the topic somehow.....

Giblets, the culinary term for the edible inside organs:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-giblets.htm

Interesting stuff for surely.

Now, Jody, the term for the man parts, I got such a kick out of this when you said this in your post, hee, hee, !!!!

Funny thing about giblets..well maybe not to the guys but us Lamond girls refer to "guy parts" as giblets.... evil Amanda & Chels are keeping up the tradition! grin  J

That made me laugh, hee, hee, that secret smiling laugh!!!  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, life, health, attract that great health.  Cindi

Oooh, Jerry we could start the entire new thread about the foods that we love, I love ALL the vegies in the cabbage/broccoli/brussels sprouts, yum, yum, 10:30 a.m. and I am already drooling over the dinner veggies!!!  and Ted, yep, yep, throw out the liver after it has been simmered, eat the onions, yeah!!!!

Lets start a thread on the brassica family of vegetables, and the special methods of cooking/sauces,etc. Let's go!!! OK, I'll begin, look for Brassicas!!!

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next