Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 22, 2014, 05:59:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liver and Onions...  (Read 6248 times)
dpence
Field Bee

« on: January 15, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »

OK, we have found many who like oysters, how about liver and onions?  Yum Yum...

David
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:24:38 PM »

Liver and onions are pretty good but fried chicken livers are to die for!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »

I like them also. Used to be a staple at least once a week growing up as it was a cheap meat back then.

Those guys traveling around sampling food, got nothing on me. I'll try anything once. There isn't much I can say that I didn't like. Perhaps the cooking of a particular person I could pass on, but certainly not for the food being cooked.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »

About every two weeks get the cravin!!  Man all this talk about food is gonna end up wrecking my diet. Smiley
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »

yup.  great stuff.  so is liver gravy.  hate to cook it in the winter.  don't like the lingering smell in the house!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:56:12 PM »

Liver and onions are pretty good but fried chicken livers are to die for!

...JP

True but deep fried chicken gizzards are even better.  I like things with crunch.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »

EEWWWW!! BLECHHH!  tongue No matter how Mom tried to make it they were still gross.  Why would I want to eat something that filters the toxins out of an animals body??  The texture is like lima beans..don't like em either!  Now just the onions, they are good!  grin  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »

EEWWWW!! BLECHHH!  tongue No matter how Mom tried to make it they were still gross.  Why would I want to eat something that filters the toxins out of an animals body??  The texture is like lima beans..don't like em either!  Now just the onions, they are good!  grin  J

Jody, the more and more I read what you say, smiling.....I am absolutely and positively and absolutely and positively (oops, did I repeat that thing, me bad....) that you are my long, lost twin.  How on earth is it possible for two people to be identical, well, we look slightly different, smiling. 

The worst is apple pancakes, sorry, pancakes with apple chunks that are raw, creepy crawly, still makes my skin crawl!!!  My Mamma cooked some absolutely hideous foods!!!!   Beautiful day in this most wonderful life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:27:50 AM »

Liver. Eating the organ that filters all of the poisons out of an animals system is not my thing. It was eating dog livers that killed all those Antarctic explorers remember. I have tried it

Onions I love. We get a lot of your onions over here when supply of the local stuff is short. "Product of USA" which I prefer to "Product of China" or the even scarier "Made from local and imported ingredients".

Safeway here disguise their evil imported frozen Canadian bacon by labeling it "Made from local and imported ingredients"!!! I asked them how one rasher of bacon could be made from two different pigs from two countries, they couldnt tell me. So I said if you cant tell me where its from, I dont buy it. I have recently found a couple of delis that make their own bacon for 13 bucks a kilo, beautiful it is too. Safeway sell the alien stuff for 8-10 a kilo.

Cant beat the ole white onion. Brown is good too, especially for cooking. Salad Onions are yummy too, you know, the large flat white onions. Then theres spring onions, not to be confused with the real "shallots" that look like garlic cloves. The spanish red onion is a bit over rated imo. Thats the onions that are commercially available here. Did you know that there are hundreds of varieties, but the supermarkets who rule production, only let us eat what they cab get cheap.

Prices in Aussie.

Spanish Red         $3.99-8.99 a kilo

Brown                   .29c to 5.99 a kilo

White                    .99c to 6.99 a kilo

Salad                  $1.00 to 2.00 each

Spring                 $1.99-3.99 a bunch

Shallots               $10.00 to 20.00 a kilo

a kilo is 2.2lbs.

Anyone can grow onions. You dont have to do anything to em except weed a bit when they are young.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:02:45 AM »

I love fried chicken livers with a little hot sauce on the side. I don't care for any other liver.

As for onions, I live about 75 miles from Vidalia, Ga where they grow the famous Vidalia sweet onions. My Kiwanis club sells the every year for a Toys for Tots fundraiser. They are very popular and it makes for a good fundraiser. They sell for 10 lbs = $10.00 and 25 lbs = $15.00.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »

My wife goes crazy over fried chicken livers.  From southern Indiana south, they sell them at KFC and when we travel we always have to stop.  Me!!!  I think they should have left them in the gut pile!!!!!!!!!!   When she cooks them it makes our house stink
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 08:36:17 AM »

My dad and mom liked liver and onions (beef) so we grew up having that every month or two.  It was the biggest fight trying to get any of us kids to eat it.  My older brother would eat a little bite and then gag like crazy.

To this day I don't care much for it, but I don't mind a bite now and again if there is some around.

I love the onions, though.

Rick
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:36:10 AM »

Liver is another one of those with a texture I can't handle. And as someone said earlier, can't get past the part about what the liver does.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »

As far as I am concerned, all internal organs are not fit for the human palate, they all feel the same to me when I eat them.  Heart, kidney, liver, tongue, not for this gal, memories of childhood.......ich.  Have a wonderful, great day, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

The best liver and onions is deer liver the night after you get it grin The first thing you eat is the kidney's roasted over the camp fire yum yum.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »

or try calves liver, if you can find it.  it melts in your mouth  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

or try calves liver, if you can find it.  it melts in your mouth  smiley
I get some every year at slaughter time. yum yum

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »

Liver and opnions, not my fav, but will eat it.
Chicken livers I have never had fried. Must try it some day. I do make an awesoem chopped liver appetizer. Roast chicken livers w/ onions, chop and add some hardboiled eggand a little raw onion as well, salt and pepper to taste. Put on top of a cracker or toasted bread Yummy

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »

if it's fresh,  like breakfast the next morning after you butcher otherwise no thanks.freezing does something to the texture i just cant handle.  i like a good plate of fried heart anytime

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »

I'm like JP, liver and onions is good, especially calf liver, but don't get between me and fried chicken livers.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next