Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 12:21:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oysters  (Read 4636 times)
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

Don't like em cooked or the huge ones.  Do love the little Olympia or quillcine (sp?) as shooters.  Mom & Dad would always bring home these jumbo, monster ones, cook em on the BBQ & expect us kids to eat em.. no one could eat a 5" oyster in 1 or 2 bites & invariably we would look @ it once cut..well, you get the picture!  Not another bite could pass our lips after seeing the insides!  The taste & texture change once cooked.  Mom did make oyster stew, loved the broth but not the cooked oysters!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »

I buy them shucked and iced in pint containers, sealed and dated from a California Shipper - found at my local Shoprite.

Oh.... and it has to be TARTAR SAUCE none of the COCKTAIL SAUCE for me, NJ doesn't do Cocktail sauce Smiley

Sacreligious John

Everyone knows you have to have the wastewater of the entire US flowing across the oysters to get the true taste of an oyster  grin
Only Louisiana oysters for me
Shucked and raw with an Abita chaser that my friends is a good time.

Keith
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »

Love all crusteaceans and shell fish. Raw, steamed, in a shot galss w/ liquer too! Oysters are awesoem , but hard nto shuck. I clam in the summer time for a bushel or two a year for the fun of it.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 10:00:40 AM »

Danno, this was so frickin' funneeeee -- "My Dad alway said eat um up son, they will make your sticker peck out"

Mick, this was even more funnnnnnnneeeeeeee -- "Tried one raw once, it was like sucking down someone elses snot"

OK, it's storytime!!!  You guys asked for it, now yo' gonna get it!!!  I can't stand oysters, by the way, the smoked ones in the greasy little flat tins are wonderful!!!  My Husband loves oysters, raw, down that hatch, IF ONLY THEY ARE FRESH, FRESH, Fresh....We lived in a town called Gibsons Landing, right on the water, eat oysters raw off the beach.

OK, so picture this.  About 10 years ago we took our oldest Daughter and her husband out for a dinner.  We went to a Korean restaurant, where you cooked your own food on a little grill thingy that was brought to the table.  It was supposed to be an interesting night out, and yes it was.  Now my Daughter is that connoisseur (thank goodness for google's spell checker).  She remembers, as a tiny girl, accompanying her Grandfather and her young Auntie and Uncle (who were just a couple of years older than her, I was a child Mother, had her at 17 and my Bro and Sis were very young) along the beaches that were infront of their home.  My Father was a beachcomber and always had oceany stuff going on.

Anyways, they would all eat the oysters, right off the beach, in the half shell, hee, hee, smiling, as so many people love to do.  Personally, I think that raw oysters suck!!!

Getting back to the story, sorry that I digress so, but I have things to tell and things to see.  Lissa thought that she would be tough and show off to her new husband that she can suck down a raw oyster.  Well......willy my chilly.  If that raw oyster didn't come right back up, into her mouth.  She tried to regain her composure.  Nope, her throat was having nothing to do with this slimey, creepy oystery thing that she was tyring to swallow.  Upon the next attempt at swallowing, this freakin', frackin' oyster slipped right out of her mouth and back down onto her plate.  Her husband was not impressed.  I think that is why they split up just a couple of years later, smiling, no just kidding.  They just didn't get along, smiling.  Now, she has that New-And-Improved, like a few of us forum gals have, and I thank my lucky stars that she vomitted up that oyster, right onto her plate and turned that guy right off.  Gruesome stuff, yep, yep, oh well, such is this life.  Have that wonderfrul and most awesome day, life, health.  Cindi

P.S.  I sold a fellow a Muscovy duck for his Christmas dinner table.  His gratitude was so high that he brought me over some of his homemade pickled herring.  Holy smokin' holy smokers!!! That was a taste that was to end all. He has honed down this skill to nothing short of absolute perfection, and the amount of onions that he had mingled with that, oh, say no more.  He is Danish, I am Swedish, think there is something to be said about these two breeds, hee, hee.  My Grandmother was a master at the pickled herring too, got the little beasts right off the wharf and into the brine they went that very same day, oh I miss her and those special treats she would make for us......C.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »

Ha, ha, ha, ha.....now that is funnnneeeee.

Beeptail sauce....the words that the forum catcher catches.  Smiling.  Have that wonderful, most great day, life.  Cindi

Even funnier because in a different post I was trying to figure out what in the world a "bleepatiel" was  huh Wink  Thanks for helping me make the connection!

Rick
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »

My dad was into sucking down them raw oysters and mussels until one time he opened one up and there was some kind of little sea worm inside one.  That was enough for him.

Rick
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »

Rick, ha!!!  I know what you mean.  Anytime that you see bleep (anything that says bleep), think of words that rhyme with rock, mostly.  It is sometimes pretty ding dang funny what comes up, meaning, the new word that is created.

There was a post where we were talking about leek and male chicken soup.  I still laugh over this one.  There was speak of bleep-a-leekie soup.  I actually thought that the soup was called bleep-a-leekie, until I figured out a couple of months later that the bleep in that case was meant to be that one that rhymes with rock word.  I actually thought the soup was called "bleep-a-leekie", it was funny to me.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »

I've ate shell fish my whole life any thing you put in front of me. Until three years ago now I'm allergic to any and all shell fish. But I still go crabbing and digging clam's and give them away to friend's.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »

Cindi, what a funny story! Things happen for a reason!  She must have been mortified at the time though, what a family treasure that story is, one of the ones we hold in our hearts forever. The new & improved sounds like he fits into your family much better!  J

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »

i can choke down the smoked ones in the tin but i never found anyother way i could eat an oyster,  now rocky mountain oysters is a whole different plate of bull,  throw em on the branding stove till they pop add some salt and eat em all day.  or do em up in shake an bake chicken seasoning.

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
reeegs22
New Bee

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »

I LOVE oysters and clams.  They must be fresh oysters I never trust an oyster from a farm!  I actually had a terrible oyster last year, it must have went funk and it almost came back up when I swallowed it. Never want that to happen again.
What I do love is oyster shooters:
Shot glass
Oyster on the bottom
vodka
hot sauce
tomato juice

smiley Mary
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 02:24:36 PM »

i love sea food, but oysters and clams have to be cooked.  not much of a fan of caviar, but will eat sushi on occasion.  fresh salmon baked on the grill is the best!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »

Yep Kathy, fresh PACIFIC salmon!  MMMnnn with mango chutney, orange juice, lemon,dash BBQ sauce, cayanne pepper made into a sauce & basted... heaven! (also great on Ahi or halibut. I tried Atlantic farmed salmon once...BLECHHH! tongue Kinda mealy & no flavor! (sorry guys on the E coast.. rolleyes) J

asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 06:30:07 PM »

I ate a "bad" oyster once about 15 years ago. I was so sick....pain and coming out of both ends. My Doctor had no sympathy for me. He said that anyone that would eat one of those nasty things raw deserves what they get. He then said that he would help me only because of his Hippocratic oath. It did not stop me from eating them again. We had oyster stew last night. All this talk makes me want some on the half shell. The best oysters around here come from the Apalachicola Bay in the Gulf of Mexico. 

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »

NO FRUIT ON THE FISH!!!!!!!   that's like pinapple on pizza.   thunder   grin

i just like mine with a little lemon and butter......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »

Kathy, it's nummy!  grin How bout butter, lemon & terragon???  J

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »

Then there are Rocky mountain oysters and Jungle oysters.

I told my wife, after I came back from SE Asia, that monkey ball soup was a real treat out in the jungles.  She thought I was talking about meat balls....I said yes, in a way. 

Rockey Mountain and Jungle oysters, For those who don't like slithery food is a little crunchy.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »

Brian...**UURP**just about tossed my cookies when I read that one...eewwww!!  Now we know where all the extras go from the vet! evil  J

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »

ok i never had jungle oysters but i grew up on cattle ranches,  i've eaten a lot of mountain oysters,  i also spent some time in alaska and japan so i have eaten some seafood products that i'm sure my dad would have accused me of eating the bait or worse,  i like some sushi but not very often and only if i live where i have a good idea that it was caught fresh this morning,i love shrimp and crab and salmon and halibut,  i even like fresh clams either steamed or deep fried i just cant eat an oyster

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 01:33:41 AM »

I will sad sadly, I haven't tried quality mountain oysters yet - although I fully look forward to it.

I'll be barfing if I cook it myself, I want to go to a place KNOWN for their different oysters. I'm not afraid of trying everything, sadly though somethings I don't overly like, celantro being one and any green olive.

But I'll get my chace some day - and please not FROZEN MOUNTAIN OYSTER LINKS - lol.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next