Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 06:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "MountainCamp Method" feeding questions.  (Read 739 times)
DaveKow
House Bee

« on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »

I am feeling the need to do this with one of my hives.  Do you poke any holes in the newspaper, or just let them access from the sides and the front? 

Also, what is the minimum temperature that one would attempt to set this up?  I am getting worried cause I snuck a peek one day when it was about 26 degrees and they were at the top.  I could see them when I lifted one end of the top cover.  The other day I took a cup of sugar, popped the end of the cover and threw the sugar on the inner cover and closed it real quick.

Thanks.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »

when it is that cold, they are usually  not interested in food anyway.  wait for a warmer day. 

i put my dry sugar on the inner cover.  some put it on newspaper.  you can put a couple of small slit in th paper so that they don't have to go so far to access. 

if you are in a dry area, moisten the sugar with a few sprays of water.  one of the reasons i use the inner cover is that my area is so wet, the sugar helps absorb some of the moisture.  it helps keep moisture that blows in sideways from pooling and dripping from the inner cover.  for you, you may need to dampen the sugar in order for them to use it, and sugar inside my be a benefit to you in absorbing moisture inside.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Ross
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »

I put down one sheet of newsprint on the top bars, leaving an inch on one end uncovered.  I dampen the newsprint.  This does a couple of things; it holds it in place; it hardens the bottom quicker; and it gets the bees feeding quicker.  I dump a pile of sugar on the damp newsprint, as much as 25# if needed.  I spray the pile to dampen the outside all over to set it.  It will harden the outside so the bees don't haul it out as trash.  I make sure there is a wet sugar edge where the top bars are uncovered (the one inch opening).  By the time I do that, they are usually starting to feed it they need it.  The reason I prefer contact with the top bars is so the bees don't have to break cluster to feed.

www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next