Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 02:27:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maine trip  (Read 1236 times)
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« on: January 06, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »

My wife and I are considering taking a family vacation to Maine.  We have 5 kids ages 4,5 ,8,10,12, and have a pop-up camper.  I was thinking of the Acadia region.

The problem for us is that we've mostly been to the Rockies area for vacation, and that is fairly easy since that area is so much different than here in Michigan, there's a lot to do and see out there.

But the kids love living creatures, and would like nothing better than to spend all day wading through tide pools catching crabs and other critters.

My wife is concerned about weather.  And what to do, since I think that Maine is somewhat similar to Michigan. (climate, forests, large body of water nearby)

Can anybody tell me : What is there to do in Maine with 5 small children?  How much is there to do around the ocean (as far as tide pools, fishermen, harbors)?  How's the weather in the summer along the coast?

Any thoughts, ideas, or stories about vacationing in maine beside those questions are also welcome!  Thanks!

Rick

Rick
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »

We have gone camping quite a bit to the Lake Sebago Resort. You can rent a cabin or bring campers, so  you would be all set.
They have alot of activities for the children there throughout the day and you can rent canoes and paddle boats.
They have a beach and a lagoon.
My son did a little fishing off the bridge.
We caught alot of bullfrogs late at night down at the lagoon.
Its the same typical unpredictable New England weather, can be sunny one minute and a downpour the next but for the most part the summers are hot and we have some really good beach days.
Every year that we have gone to Maine has been the second week in July and the weather is usually sunny, there was only one year, years back that I remember it raining.
If you don't have alot of places to visit, or even if you do this is a good place to park the camper since you can always find an activity to keep the kids occupied.
They have bonfires and dances at night.
They have adult activities too, horseshoe tournaments, shuffleboard etc. also they have happy hour at I think 4:00 and alot of the kids go to bingo at that time.
I never like to leave the beach and I could never have a drink in the afternoon or I would have to take a nap but I remember all the kids being rounded up off the beach at that time and they some would be saying, but I don't want to go to candy bar bingo and the parents would be saying, well you are because mommy and daddy are going to happy hour.
But anyway, you can find out if what places there are to visit in the area and pick one of those resort type places as your home port and you can't go wrong.
I think there is a drive in somewhere near there too, I know we ride past one on the way.
I don't think that Sebago is all the far from the Acadia area.
You should contact the Chamber of Commerce in Maine and ask them to send you some info and you can find alot of stuff online.
If you get to Freeport there are alot of outlets there, LL Bean and a bunch of others.I think you would enjoy Maine, just do your research.
Have fun.
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »

A trip to the Bar Harbor area is fun.  I suggest keeping the lighthouse visits to a minimum.  I know when my brother and I were growing up, there was only so much of that kind of stuff that we could take.  My mom's side of the family is from there so we have had plenty of vacations up there.  Maine has nice beaches.  We went to a nice secluded area a couple years ago.  About 30 minutes from Acadia.  I'd have to ask my mom the where abouts if you are interested.  I'd never find it again if i tried.  It was early August and I remember it was still pretty nice though the ocean breeze was cool.  If you want to go to an awesome Maritime destination, head up to Nova Scotia some time.  Probably one of my most memorable vacations.  How are you getting up there?  Driving?  Kittery has tax free booze at the trading post.   tongue

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »

Driving pulling a popup camper.  Nope, my family doesn't have the attention for museums (I like them though rolleyes), I'd guess that lighthouses fall into that category Smiley.  And we don't like crowds or shopping Wink

We love camping, and do a lot of camping around here in Michigan(lots of forest and lakes, campgrounds and canoeing Smiley ), but we are trying to figure out what Maine has that Michigan doesn't, since it is a 20 hour drive.  The only thing so far is the ocean, and we're trying to figure out if that is worth a 20 hour drive...

My kids really love things in the water.  I remember a few trips to WA state on the puget sound (my wife says thats too far right now), and there were awesome tide pools just packed with critters, my kids would go bonkers for that.  Does Maine have anything like that?

I read somewhere that the Atlantic ocean is only around 55 - 60 degrees during the summer?  Is this true?  I suppose that it doesn't matter too much if we could find a nearby inland lake.  Freshwater is so much tastier... rolleyes

I'm pretty clueless about the eastern side of the US.... rolleyes  I did ask for a package from the Maine Chamber of C last year but never received anything...I'll try again this year.

Thanks, Rick

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »

http://www.etravelmaine.com/state/activities/sightseeing/sightseeing.htm

http://www.etravelmaine.com/maine_recreational_activities.htm

http://www.visitmaine.com/attractions/sightseeing_tours/

lots more....google sightseeing in maine  smiley

please take lots of pics.  i have never been there and would love to see what you find!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
fermentedhiker
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »

I've never traveled with kids so I don't have a lot of experience with what's out there for them.  I'm pretty sure that Acadia National Park has plenty of tidepools although I don't know how they would compare to Puget sound.  I'm sure websites like acadiamagic will give you better ideas of whats available.  I grew up quite a bit farther north than where I currently live so whenever I go on vacation I take off for the hills either with a backpack with a weeks worth of food or a canoe with a weeks worth of much heavier food, like lots of bacon  grin.  The weather is fickle here.  So it makes it really hard to give you an idea what to expect.  July and August are usually pretty good, although September is my favorite.  Warm days, cool nights, and way fewer bugs.  Yes the ocean is cold here.  Unless we have record temperatures  for awhile the ocean never really gets warm.  Kids don't seem to mind it though.  I've seen 'em come out of the water nearly blue swearing up and down that they aren't cold.  As you said plenty of freshwater lakes around though.  I think you'll find the region different enough from yours to make it a worthwhile trip.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:16 AM »

I was born in Michigan and vacationed in northern MI when I was growing up, then moved out here when I was seven or so.  We have a house in Maine, and we camp all over the state.  The two states are beautiful, but definitely different.  The smell of the fresh water of the Great Lakes is vastly different than that of the ocean, I prefer the lakes, myself, but others differ! 

Acadia has lots to do, mostly outdoors, but the town of Bar Harbor is very nice, too.  Your kids will love lighthouses, they're on the ocean, have tidal pools galore and stairs to climb up to see awesome views.  I agree more than two would be pushing it, though! 

Watch the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain, hike along the carriage roads built by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., or on many other hiking trails.  No, I don't work for Maine tourism, but I love it up there, and will go back time and time again to see something different. 

While your in Maine you should check out the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden, started in 1995, it's 248 acres and absolutely breathtaking from what I hear, I'm going this summer.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:39:17 AM »

Off subject Rick but something else to think about.   The Sat. after thanksgiving my wife and I left Michigan and drove to Gatlingberg Tenn.  It's a single days drive and has a ton of thing to do.  Lots for the kids also between Pigeon forge and the National park in Gatlingberg. 
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'm always looking for places closer, if not this then next year...

This is all helping us make a decision  Smiley...

Rick

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next