Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 04:50:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Investing w/ Children  (Read 750 times)
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »

As a family project, we have decided to pool some money, create an investors club for the financial and educational benefit of my nephews. The goal is to teach them how the market works, learn to save and invest for college-and of course make some money for their futures. The start-up will consist of 5K. Although not required, the investing will likely take place through the stock market...

There are a lot of people on this site that i am sure can offer their opinions as to how to make this work for the best. I obviously have ideas, but would like your collective input.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Greg Peck
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »

What kind of time frame?

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »

if there is time, i would have them create a fantasy portfolio.  they can take a month and track stocks to see what is going up and what is going down.  with 5k i'd think a fund would be a better investment than individual stock.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:49:25 PM »

What kind of time frame?

The oldest is six atm.
if there is time, i would have them create a fantasy portfolio.  they can take a month and track stocks to see what is going up and what is going down.  with 5k i'd think a fund would be a better investment than individual stock.
I like fantasy portfolio idea. I understand your fund idea, but was thinking that individual stocks, although riskier, would teach them more,  but a fantsy portfolio is good idea. 

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
TimV
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:34:22 PM »

I had my 3 oldest sons buy gold coins. I took money out of their savings and bought a couple Krugerrands each, and I bought them at 280.00, and explained the concept of fiat currency. They didn't much like it at the time, but when the coins went up to 900 they thought Dad wasn't so old fashioned as they'd thought.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next