Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 04:25:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: People say we dont have Tornados in Australia....you be the judge!  (Read 1416 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: December 23, 2008, 04:05:19 AM »

Nimmatibel storm, south of sydney today.
Big John
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »

Sure looks like a tornado to me, but I am no weather expert.

"Semper Fi"
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:27:35 AM »

People can say what they want, those with eyes will see.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »

Tornadoes can happen anywhere anytime with the right weather conditions. Sometimes we have them here at a time of year we are not suppose to have them. 

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:40:07 AM »

Is it still a tornado if it is spinning the opposite way?  And I thought that down under the funnel would be bigger at the bottom?  rolleyes  That would be a cyclone, not a tornado...

Seriously, though, there are also shelf clouds and different weather patterns that can look amazingly like a tornado, although that looks like a tornado.

Rick
reeegs22
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »

We are not supposed to get tornadoes either but this summer there sure were some close calls and a few water spouts reported.  Below is a great picture a funnel cloud that was taken at a pier near the bay where I live.  There was a water spout reported this day.

smiley Mary
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »

Reeegs,
That is a cool picture! Looks like a shelf cloud, I'm not a meteorologist, so I can't recognize funnels. 

http://weathersavvy.com/Q-Shelf_Roll_Clouds1.html

We watched an awesome storm roll in over Lake Michigan that looked just like that, it was awesome...this huge shelf cloud and storm rolling closer and closer, and as it got just overhead the wind went from still to raging...we had to get out of there pretty quick because that sand was blasting us!

We get quite frequent water spouts on the lake, they are similar but not the same as tornadoes... although infrequently we get tornadoes.  Something about the warmer water with the cooler air above.

Rick

Rick
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »

We are not supposed to get tornadoes either but this summer there sure were some close calls and a few water spouts reported.  Below is a great picture a funnel cloud that was taken at a pier near the bay where I live.  There was a water spout reported this day.

Is that edgewater park marina? I have been to taht marina i think. Wifes from Cranston, and I'll be in Green Hill for holidays.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
reeegs22
New Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »

[quote author=KONASDAD link=topic=18964.msg142064#msg142064 date=1230065630
Is that edgewater park marina? I have been to taht marina i think. Wifes from Cranston, and I'll be in Green Hill for holidays.
[/quote]

Nope that is actually Bowen's Wharf in Newport.  It is pretty down in Green a little more country then Newport.

smiley Mary
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:46:38 PM »

Hello Mick,  I asked the old timers here once if we ever get tornados.  One time a man was building a house in town and a little tornado came through and knocked over his new construction, leaving houses around intact.

Perhaps we don't get the difference in extreme temperatures here to have a lot of tornados.  (even Melbourne only goes from icy cold one minute to bitter cold the next).

Being a bit inland, we usually just get the remnants of cyclones, the rain, but the old folks have also seen weakening cyclones come down the river.

Lone
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 08:43:58 PM »

I live in an area that gets a real tornado about once every 10 years and relatively small ones at that, though even a small one can be a knuckle buster for those unfamiliar with them.  We do get a lot of dust devils, momentary swirls of grass, leaves, and dust.  The difference in magnitude of the dust devils between the west side (puny) and the east side of the Cascades can be dramatic.  At times when I be on my way to or from my brothers I've seen as many as 10 dust devils at a time.  In the summer and fall when the wheat farmers are mulching the wheat stubble those dust devils can reach 500 feet into the air and be 30 feet across.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next