Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 31, 2014, 07:05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  
Poll
Question: If equally equiped or better, could you live exclusively with a laptop?  (Voting closed: January 21, 2009, 03:25:31 AM)
Yes, I use a laptop only now, love it totally and do not miss a desktop at all. - 6 (11.1%)
I use a laptop most of the time, but still like having a desktop to fall back on - 4 (7.4%)
with the price going down, everyone in the house can have their own laptop now. - 2 (3.7%)
I wouldn't own a lap top - I'll always have a desktop only. - 1 (1.9%)
I don't believe a laptop will ever surpass a desktop, so I'll need both or just a desktop. - 5 (9.3%)
I'm willing to spend the money to have a fully equiped laptop, and stay desktop free. - 2 (3.7%)
my laptop is my only computer, it could be updated but I will update it with another laptop. - 2 (3.7%)
laptops are good for travel and school but I want a desktop home. - 12 (22.2%)
You couldn't get me to own a laptop, it's like a giant PDA and nothing more. - 0 (0%)
My laptop does it all, if you buy the right one, you will never need anything else. - 6 (11.1%)
I ONLY HAVE USED DESKTOPS - but am interested in laptops. - 3 (5.6%)
I've only used Desktops and don't care to use a laptop at all. - 2 (3.7%)
I don't believe a laptop will ever be as good as a desktop. - 4 (7.4%)
If a laptop had a normal keyboard size, maybe I'd give one a try. - 1 (1.9%)
NO... laptops will never replace desktops, ever. - 3 (5.6%)
Yes... Laptops will be replace desktops everywhere and soon. - 1 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Desktops going away like the VHS Recorders?  (Read 3069 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: December 31, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »

I've been following the sales of laptops and their main features (if you know what to look for and willing to pay for it) versus the desktops - and it is starting to seem that the desktops are going to go away or at least move quietly to the background as VHS machines have moved aside for the DVD.

I am using my laptop exclusively lately, for surfing on a my high def TV via HDMI cabl, to movie watching, to gaming to everything we do with computers. Mind you, I use to leave my desktop on 24/7 so that we didn't have to boot up the laptop for quicky searches, but now that my laptop is the center point of my home entertainment system, I have the desktop turned off except to update Microsoft, Mcafee and HP fixes as they come in.

As prices come down, connectitivity becomes easier and the shear fact that a portable can be small, light weight and powerful too and still be used on a home theater HDTV using wireless keyboard an mouses, the need for desktops seems to be fading. And when we see the cost factor of a desktop and the versatility of the laptop equaling out, I'm really thinking that as we saw over the last year HD-DVD die to Blu-Ray and it's been a few years since A Drives disappeared from computers all together, will the laptop be the "affordable portable" that answers all our needs?

The only downside I see in my case is "IF I choose to take my laptop to work to see a movie or something" it takes just a second to disconnect all the cables, but then I leave my TV here for my wife as a TV only and not a surfing machine too - she'd need to turn on the desktop to surf. Not a big deal, but using an entertainment system in the living room, switching with a single click on the remote from TV to NET is wonderful, having to go to the guest room where the desktop is, fire it up and surf there feels strange after 2 months of doing it the much better way. Surfing on a 47 inch screen with unmatched clarity is habit forming, and being a click away from movies, online music, newspapers, education, recipes (my wife like to open up a recipe page at a website she finds, stands in the kitchen and literally has internet music playing as she glances across the room reading the recipe as she cooks) it has changed the way we do things and it is the stuff Bill Gates told us about a decade ago now. It is interesting to see what he meant used in our every day life.

So, I think I'll poll this, but COULD YOU live in a desktop free world IF your laptop has all the features, speed and power? For me it is a resounding YES! What do you think?

P.S. you can vote up to 4 choices in this poll, it is going on for 20 days. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:38:46 AM by beemaster » Logged

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »

I really don't know how to vote. The only time I have touched a laptop is when I used my daughter's to burn some CDs. So in away her's is better than mine.

I really hate relearning stuff and it seems everyone is constantly making changes to something. Seems every time I go to photobucket something has changed. Yahoo has changed the email thing and the news page a couple of times. Beemaster is always wanting to make changes grin. It is always suppose to be for the better. I always go with that old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But to think about something more compact and not so many wires dangling around and with a wireless router I can take it anywhere.... Caught the neighbor using mine  shocked.... So a laptop is probably in my future.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:26:34 PM by Jerrymac » Logged

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

i like my laptop, but there batery issues, overheating issues, weight, etc.  i like kicking back in front of the desktop to watch a move.  i like playing games on the desktop better.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »

ok its like this,  i never owned a desktop,  my first puter was an ibm think pad 486 and the 3 i've had since have also been laptops.  (before i got my think pad i couldn't afford any kind of computer) so i've always been more or less happy with laptops

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »

My vote isn't up there.  I'll use a desktop and have a laptop forever - but I prefer the desktop. 

We won a laptop at hubby's company party two years ago, so we use it as a backup, but I far prefer the desktop.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »

laptops are good for travel and school but I want a desktop home.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »

My computer is like my phone. It does not rule my world. I have cell, and sometimes I have it with me, and sometimes I leave it on the counter or in the truck. I do not need hourly updates on sports, the weather, or have a need to text the person sitting aside me at the restaurant. let alone the chick at the bar. (Stupid commercials)

I can get messages when I get home, I can chat here, or goggle something. But I do not need to connected at the hip with technology.

And I'm way beyond worrying about "Kewl" ringtones, fancy colored this or that, or worrying about the latest new thing that a laptop can do. When I go on vacation, I'm not multi-international billionaire in need of staying in touch with the movement of the stock market. And I certainly do not think with an ego that the world will come to a stop if I lost connection with a computer for a week or more.

I think for MOST people, computors are just a replacement for the TV. It makes you no money, wastes many hours that could be spend better off in so many more productive ways, and is a waste cruising around looking at stupid video's of other peoples apparently more interesting lives.

Yes we have laptop. I prefer my desktop. 

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »

i have to admit that i like web access on my phone, but that is because i travel to places where sometimes there is no computer access, or even power.  they always seem to get the cell service up quickly!  i can't always call people, but i can text or email to let them know that i'm alive...so i am tetherd... grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »

I messed with lees laptop when he got it. I thought I would like one, but after trying his, my hand went numb really quick moving my finger around on the little square...I suppose I would like it better using the remote mouse.
your friend,
john

pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 06:58:20 PM »

I love laptops. As some of you know I am on the go for 12-16 hours everyday. I like to be able to cruise down the road and be able to use ventrilo to talk to friends or play poker (have won many tournaments while sitting in traffic) and sometimes both at the same time.  With the air card your options are only limited by your imagination. I think of my laptop as a tool that I use for work just like the tools in my tool pouch. Many times while working out of town I have needed info or directions or to print out a invoice. Guess what, I was able to get what I needed done right from my laptop. I think desktops are a thing of the past. bye bye

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 11:23:20 PM »

Hubby bought me a Dell laptop because of his work at home he was using the desktop all the time and I could not get onto it. Now I am so used to the laptop and feel so comfortable with it, I much prefer it over the desktop.

Guess it is just what you are used to using.

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 03:23:46 AM »

KathyP and others:

I have added several new choices, and made it so you can change your votes. I added several more options for the desktop users only and a few for those who like both. Feel free to review the choices again and revote fittingly all Smiley

As mentioned above, laptop battery life is a bigger scam the INK CARTRIDGES - they propmise the world but never deliver in life-time before recharging, they die out sooner then claimed in most cases and usually most people use a power plug with them. That said, I have my entire laptop on the bottom shelf below my HDTV, all you see are a few blue lights on it (I have the screen opened up a few inches for good ventilation, the processors always runs cool this way. But it surely is plugged in to the wall.

The keyboard and mouse are on a small table that shuttles back and forth from Tracey to me as we surf and my microphone use in Ventrilo runs tucked under then carpet molding about 2 feet from where my chair is I usually surf from - audio quality is great, so I'm not tethered in any way with wires.

It is a great gaming machine, from the fastest first person 3D war games, to golf and poker, to racing simulators (which I use Nascar 2003 Season, a collectors item used by thousand world wide in multiplayer) for that I must hook up the Force Feedback Wheel and peddles through a USB plug and power from a wall outlet - otherwise, sitting in front of a big screen is like sitting behind the wheel of a real car Smiley

I could live and basically do from my laptop - I'd never pack my desktop away, but I would think about a second laptop someday - wireless connectivity is a great great thing Smiley

PS: I ADDED MORE OPTIONS AND INCREASED VOTES TO 4 CHOICES EACH VOTER - YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR MINDS DURING THE 20 DAYS OF POLLING TOO.

Have fun with the poll. AND IF I MISSED AN OPTION IN THE POLL YOU'D LIKE TO SEE, post it here and Il'll add it Smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »

John, you forgot one option. The I'm waiting for the laptop/desktop/telephone/coffeemaker/diswasher/time machine all in one choice.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
shawnwri
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »

Not really sure how to vote.  I have a laptop in the office that I really liked. It had a docking station so I could use my ergonomic keyboard and high quality speakers.  Once "the man" installed encryption software it quit working with the docking station.  My issue with laptops is they seem to wear out a lot faster from overheating.  The old packard bell desktop at home still works with Window's 95 on it.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:50 AM »

In hindsite, I should have called this: IS THE DESKTOP GOING THE WAY OF THE VHS RECORER - they surely are still around, just not in use as the DVD machines are. The 8 TRACK TAPE was a rather poor comparison, I mean vinyl is back, cassettes are still around, but the 8 track is a niche that few occupy.

I think I'll rename it now, the poll is young still, I don't want to sway voters either way, I think a better comparison is required.

Oh and Brian, I always wanted a can opener/pencil sharpener - it seems like a useful albeit different tool with similar manouvering Smiley no reason you can't hook up a 50 HDTV to one either lol.

Follow us on TWITTER

MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »

Well guys , I use a laptop for work only, I have my own desktop. What comes out of the box is not always the best option. It would depend on what you consider to be necessary, as a power user I don't see the laptop ever outdoing a desktop for power, memory capacity, or video. I have built my own systems since 1990 something.  What I have now I consider pure power. In fact I take exception to the laptop taking over the desktop. LOL (Ain't gonna happen) Most DT are server capable. Laptops not for many years.
If you can show me a laptop that can match a home unit, I'll buy it and eat my hat.

EVGA 680i Mobo SLI 1333 FSB
Twin Nvidia (880GTs) Video Cards for SLI, dual video (HD/BR) inputs for shader an memory control.  I can get 150fps.on DX10 Games
Seven Channel Surround Sound. 200w.
Raid 5 WD Hardrives 3x160gb Drive
Six Gig of Ram OCZ PC6400 1006 FSB 5.5.5.15 Timings
Quad Processors, E6700 X 2.8 gig
1800 passmark  score
Topped off with Vista 64bit OS

And you get to top that off with cool lights and stuff. LOL

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:16:08 PM by MustbeeNuts » Logged

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »

Hey, Where'd you get all the lited stuff? Theres so many wires on the back of my computer That it might be able to look like thwe fourth of July If I could get lited wires!
your friend,
john

MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »

Hey, Where'd you get all the lited stuff? Theres so many wires on the back of my computer That it might be able to look like thwe fourth of July If I could get lited wires!
your friend,
john

The wires are clear with a relflective base, I have lights inside the case, an ultraviolet for the purple, Blue for the board under the ram, plus red and green led's for the ram itself. Ebay has all of that stuff, look under "modding" I cut the glass for the side myself and its got a couple etched dragons on it also. Just don't showup on the photo's. Sad

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »

Oh boy, Nuts!!!
 I think I'm gonna start a new projectt!!!
 That is REALLY COOL!!!

your friend,
john

MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »

Oh boy, Nuts!!!
 I think I'm gonna start a new projectt!!!
 That is REALLY COOL!!!

your friend,
john

Well the lights don't have any real use other than to show off . LOL but that's what modding is all about.

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »

I see the dragon now!!!!
 have you ever had to take the computer in to be fixed? I bet THATS a real treat when they plug it in!

your friend,
john

MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »

I see the dragon now!!!!
 have you ever had to take the computer in to be fixed? I bet THATS a real treat when they plug it in!

your friend,
john

I wouldn't trust anyone to work on it, I work for HP , and repair servers. I do all my own work.

dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 01:01:30 AM »

John,
 To answer your question, I think eventually smaller sized computers will replace what we have now. Not necessarily laptops.  My work supplies me with a laptop for mobile uses and a desktop for my office.  I also have a desktop at home as does my wife.  It seems that convergence of technologies and personalization are what people want.  We want it all in the palm of our hands...is it possible?  Indeed, that seems to be the direction we are headed.  Just my .02

David       
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »

I had a book once that included some mods to the old Apple II motherboard.  The author wrote some new mods that would do the same thing through software and made the comment "I didn't realize how many people were afraid to take the top off of their computer.  I haven't seen the top to mine in years."  I laughed.  I've always been in the same boat until the new processors got so hot that leaving the cover off interfered too much with the cooling...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:51 PM »

I sit in front of a computer enough already without taking one with me everywhere I go.  Anyway I have my PDA and the fact is that 99% of what I need I can do from any web browser - If I can remember my passwords.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

I sit in front of a computer enough already without taking one with me everywhere I go.  Anyway I have my PDA and the fact is that 99% of what I need I can do from any web browser - If I can remember my passwords.

I put  them on  notepad and save in my documents incase I forget. LOL LOL

David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 11:29:18 AM »

I put  them on  notepad and save in my documents incase I forget. LOL LOL

I write them in a little notebook and velcro that to the bottom of....  where did I put that? shocked

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next