Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 05:04:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PETA kills animals  (Read 7177 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2008, 02:25:53 PM »

160.00 for the last dog i had put down at my house.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »

last dog I put down cost 33 cents.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »

I think having an animal euthanized goes by weight.
I had to put my dog down 2 years ago and it cost me $165.00 and he weighed 140 pounds.
I had to put my cat down 10 years ago and it cost me $35.00 and he weighed about 10 pounds.
It also varies to whether the vet comes to you or you go to them. There is only one around here that I know of that still makes house calls for that though.
There are several vets in my area and they all have very different prices from each other too, mine is the most reasonable and does the house calls in an emergency.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »

Not everyone can, will, or wants, to shoot a dog or cat that needs to be put down. Some will opt for a vet bill instead. I have done both. I have shed a tear both ways. Why this point or difference comes into play as to which way is better, how it plays into who cares more or less, or what is more humane, is for what purpose?

Want to hear crazy (or at least some will think it as such).....

I had a feral cat on the back porch a few years back. Unlike other ferals, this one never simulated itself into the clan, and never wanted to come in. Others did after a few months. But this one cat would go after and fight with my other cats. So one day I trapped it in a cage. I took it to the humane society.

Once there, I commented that I would like to pay for it's adoption. They said "What?"  I said I wanted to pay for its adoption. They said that if it was a drop-off and a pet of mine, that I would need to pay a small handling fee for the service. I said "No, it's not my pet. As I said previously, it is a feral that I caught on the back porch". They thought I was lying I'm sure. Afterall, in the cage, it sure seemed nice all of a sudden.

They said I could not pay for the adoption. I was insistant that I wanted to pay for it, and could not believe they would not take my money. They said they would need to talk to a director. I said then go talk to a director.

After thirty minutes of huddled meetings and a couple phone calls, they said that they in fact would take my money. But with the stipulation that an adoption would not be guaranteed. I said fine. I mentioned that I did not want "money" to be the factor as to why this cat would find a home. That if the adoption fee was prepaid, maybe someone would take the cat more readily and work with it. I left.

The next week, I did get a letter from the Humane Society, stating that the cat could not be "handled". That their policy was that it could not be adopted for safety concerns. So what they did, was split my adoption fee, and discounted two other cats, making their adoption more readily available for those two families. They even sent two photos of the families and the cats that were adopted.

We had previously taken drop-offs, and somewhat feral cats, and with enough time and trust shown to them, have had wonderful pets. This particular cat was perhaps a bit more feral than the others. But I know and can honestly say that I did not trap the cat to have it killed. I often wonder about "excuses" when it comes to reasons of shooting a bad dog, or a bad pet. I wonder how much of that comes down to a "lame" owner...taking the easy way out, then rationalizing the outcome.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »

This brings to mind an incident we had here in Anacortes this past summer.
My 3rd son works as the night manager at a local motel.  The motel as nightly, weekly, and monthly rates and has room alloted for smoking, non smoking, and pets.
A person rented a room on the weekly rate and paid a pet deposit as he had 2 boxers.
At the end of the week the person wanted to pay for another week but the room inspection showed that the dogs had damaged the room to the tune of several grand so the person was told he could renew his rent but without the dogs. 
The person took both dogs up to Heart Lake (1/4 mile from my house) and tried to give the dogs away.  No takers, so he shot one dead and wounded the other one. 
The wounded dog was captured by the animal control officer and the humane society fixed it up and eventually adopted it out.
The person that shot the dogs was tracked down on information supplied by one of the motel workers (anonymous) and was charged with Cruelty to Animals and Discharge of a Firearm within City Limits. 

So I guess the question here is, was killing or trying to kill a pet a valid reason in this instance?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »

My 3rd son works as the night manager at a local motel.  The motel as nightly, weekly, and monthly rates and has room alloted for smoking, non smoking, and pets.
A person rented a room on the weekly rate and paid a pet deposit as he had 2 boxers.
At the end of the week the person wanted to pay for another week but the room inspection showed that the dogs had damaged the room to the tune of several grand so the person was told he could renew his rent but without the dogs. 
The person took both dogs up to Heart Lake (1/4 mile from my house) and tried to give the dogs away.  No takers, so he shot one dead and wounded the other one. 
The wounded dog was captured by the animal control officer and the humane society fixed it up and eventually adopted it out.
The person that shot the dogs was tracked down on information supplied by one of the motel workers (anonymous) and was charged with Cruelty to Animals and Discharge of a Firearm within City Limits. 

So I guess the question here is, was killing or trying to kill a pet a valid reason in this instance?

Are you serious?

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »

Are you serious?

...JP

JP, when have you known me not to be serious?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »

There's really not enough information to get the entire picture. Was he destitute? Or just passing through and blew a fuse?

I can only imagine that he had other options he did not utilize. Did he contact or try to contact an animal shelter? I really believe there were several more options he could have taken, the whole thing reeks of stupidity.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »

There's really not enough information to get the entire picture. Was he destitute? Or just passing through and blew a fuse?

I can only imagine that he had other options he did not utilize. Did he contact or try to contact an animal shelter? I really believe there were several more options he could have taken, the whole thing reeks of stupidity.

...JP

No on trying to make other arrangements.  A big Yes on the stupidity.

troutstalker2
House Bee

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »

I was at work one time talking to a friend about something and another employee came up rambling on about animals rights and she was a vegetarian and that it was not right to kill animals for food. My friend replied that she must also think that a women has the right to choose to have an an abortion if she thought it best. She agreed emphatically. He said you would kill a baby but not a cow. Thats funny!!
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2009, 12:06:39 AM »

"why should you care about what I do to my dog."

Because you might be a budding serial killer?

First of all - I've been a hunter, and fisherman, all my life.  I've slaughtered, doctored and castrated livestock with my own hands.  I'm a dedicated omnivore.  But all of those things are done for a purpose, not just for the sake of cruelty, dominance or brutality - even if they are brutal and ugly, which they are - they have to be done for us to continue our carnivorous ways.

Why should I care what you do to your dog?  Why should anyone care about the plight of any living creature?  For the same reason that I should care if you are cruel to another person - it's wrong, it's unnecessary and it perpetrates an environment of cruelty and brutality which spills over into the rest of society and onto my children.  Anyone who thinks that animals don't experience sadness, despair and emotional pain is ignorant.  Anyone who doesn't care isn't much of a human being.

Ever known of someone who was intentionally cruel and brutal to animals, but civilized to people?  Me neither.

That being said, animals are certainly not the same as people. But they are also not the same as inanimate property. I would cut the heart out of the last living chimpanzee on earth to save my child - but I wouldn't kick a dog just for meaness.   There IS an important difference.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »

don't you know that a fetus is not a baby?  not sure what the cut off date is now.  when i was working ob, we didn't save babies much under 36 weeks.  >34 and the baby had so many complications, they usually were damaged or didn't survive long.  now they can save them even >24 weeks.  age of viability has changed, so i guess the date when a fetus has become a baby has changed.  they are going to have to come up with a new criteria for life, or a new definition of life.

on the treatment of animals:  i always thought it was important for children to have pets.  they learn to care for something other than themselves.  they learn that they must put the needs of the pet first.  they also end up leaning that life is finite.  to bury a pet is a heartbreaking thing for a child, but an important lesson.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next