Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 19, 2014, 11:42:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grammar  (Read 4181 times)
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 11:09:57 PM »

We don't have to be perfect on a public forum as long as you get the jest of things, who are we to judge each other on this really, but when the majority of the users cannot spell most words, yes I said MOST words correctly, it kinda makes my skin crawl, I wish that site would add spell check, it would be such a beautiful thing. The thing is, most of the moderators cannot spell so its a moot point.
...JP

The JEST or the GIST?  And don't get me started on run-on sentences  grin.

My firefox spellchecker ketches grammer jist fine so I ain't got no 'scuse.

Run on sentences are acceptable on forums, you're simply trying to get your message out and it aint being graded, or its not being graded whichever you prefer, jest or gist you get the point and spell check missed that one, ha!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 11:10:11 PM »

i was 1st down in spelling bees.  that gave me time to read whatever book i was into while the other kids competed.  when i came to writing, i was always at the top of the class....except for being marked down for spelling... Undecided

i don't know why you don't like run-on sentences because sometimes we have a lot to say and we don't want to break up the flow and so we keep writing even though we know we should make sentences but it's easier to keep writing and finish the thought or we'd lose it!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 11:30:01 PM »

Kathy, bravo!!!  well done, girl!!!  Beautiful day in this great life, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 11:47:54 PM »

A spell checker will not catch a properly spelled word that is used out of place.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
1of6
House Bee

Always learning...

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 12:28:48 AM »

What really needs work around here is the misuse of same sounding words.

There. Their. They're

Our. Or. Are. Hour

Here. Hear.

Which. Witch.

I know there are others, just can't think of them now.

To, too, and two.  I guess we could include Jim Tew in there as well.   rolleyes

Where, wear, and I've even seen were...and that doesn't even sound the same, or at least in my local dialect.

What's wrong with this sentence?  "I two have too remember two wear to shoes."

By Golly, that's a lot of Tews.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 07:16:20 AM »

I'm reading it, Cindi, but I've been sitting on my hands so I don't jump in and correct every single error!  evil

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »

I get the hint grin

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »

I doesn't rilly care how anybudy spels their mesages as long as most of it is rite.  I figgered I'd point sum stuff out sinse this is an thred on grammer.  It is a bit agrivating wen their is a conserted lak of efort to git sum of the werds right or to even giv halve an efort to spel things rite.

my goodness but it was sure difficult writing that!!! rolleyes

Rick
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »

I doesn't rilly care how anybudy spels their mesages as long as most of it is rite.  I figgered I'd point sum stuff out sinse this is an thred on grammer.  It is a bit agrivating wen their is a conserted lak of efort to git sum of the werds right or to even giv halve an efort to spel things rite.

my goodness but it was sure difficult writing that!!! rolleyes

Sad, but it looked good to me.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 11:10:42 AM »

spelling while typing is hard when your hands are twice the size of a keyboard! I usually dont use the spell check either. My personal favorite is malapropisms. For example, a reporter was interviewing an NBA player. Said he worked hard in the offseason, and could now drive with his left hand in adddition to right. NBA player responded, 'That's right, I can go left, I can go right, I am amphibious."  and another I just love, I paid to have two men move a very heavy piece of furniture up 4 stories in a previous home. It was heavy, and the steps were very steep. They also had 3 turns at each level. On the last turn, sweating and exhausted, the guy on the bottom asked for a rest. The item was now balanced on his thigh, and he was pinned against the wall. He yells at his friend, "If you move this darn thing one more inch, you'll crush my gentiles." It was all I could do from not laughing at them!!!!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »

i was 1st down in spelling bees.  that gave me time to read whatever book i was into while the other kids competed.  when i came to writing, i was always at the top of the class....except for being marked down for spelling... Undecided

i don't know why you don't like run-on sentences because sometimes we have a lot to say and we don't want to break up the flow and so we keep writing even though we know we should make sentences but it's easier to keep writing and finish the thought or we'd lose it!

Oh, come on, a run on sentence to a writer is like a lesser included offenses to a criminal where you can get rape reduced to following to close.

What really needs work around here is the misuse of same sounding words.

There. Their. They're

Our. Or. Are. Hour

Here. Hear.

Which. Witch.

I know there are others, just can't think of them now.

To, too, and two.  I guess we could include Jim Tew in there as well.   rolleyes

Where, wear, and I've even seen were...and that doesn't even sound the same, or at least in my local dialect.

What's wrong with this sentence?  "I two have too remember two wear to shoes."

By Golly, that's a lot of Tews.

And then there's weather, whether, and wether.  But the only one that can be fixed is the wether.
Where, wear, and .....The lost word is ware as in silverware. As in; Wherever silverware is over used it will soon wear out.
A lot of people can't remember which to,too,two, to use where.  I like Jim Tews has too remember that he must wear twos shoes.
I remember it is the way my grandmother taught me;  To be or not to0 be when Two is also a number.  Or, in otherwords, One O but two O's means also.

It don't look right but it reads right and it sounds right, so I say, as long as what you write reads write, why worry.  But truefully, I don't begrudge minor errors, I make them and often forget to spell check function, but personal pride should motivate a person to attempt to write closer to correct English.  I mean, a well thought out dangling participle is a work of art. 

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »

I mean, a well thought out dangling participle is a work of art.

What the dillywackerdadoodalcadoodalhopper is a dangling participle?  Sounds something like a danglion!!!  Smiling,  huh Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley  Beautiful day in this great life, we all live, love and share, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »

I never knew what a dangling participle was. Or what a dangling participle is. I wasn't no good in the English class.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

1of6
House Bee

Always learning...

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:36 AM »

...I like Jim Tews has too remember that he must wear twos shoes.

grin  That's great.   grin

I mean, a well thought out dangling participle is a work of art.

What the dillywackerdadoodalcadoodalhopper is a dangling participle? 

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/d.html

This is an amusing example of a misplaced modifier:  "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I don't know."   (Exerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangling_modifier

What the dillywackerdadoodalcadoodalhopper... 

Auugghh!  Cindi!   shocked  Such Language!   shocked   grin
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »

My daughter who is in kindergarden, came home last week with a new saying. Now, every thing she says, includes a "Oh my Gosh!"  She sounds like a 16 year old valley girl from twenty years ago. She still has not mastered the "th" sound as in the word "the", but can clearly pick up cliche sayings.  Cry

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »

Oh Yeah. I've had some danglies.

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »

My daughter who is in kindergarden, came home last week with a new saying.

if that's the worst she comes home with, count yourself lucky.  i remember the first time my oldest said "sh**".  of course it wasn't at home, but in front of a bunch of my mothers friends. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »

My first born was about two when at a friends house he was trying to climb onto their daughter's high chair. The chair fell over and he said the sh** word. I believe it was his first word.

I just don't know where they get it from.  huh shocked

Jerry

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next