Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 03, 2014, 02:07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The area in which we will be moving to  (Read 2384 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: December 20, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »

Brian, this one is mostly for you.

Look at this map of my province.

Currently I live between Vancouver and Hope, you will see that in the bottom left of the map of British Columbia.

Now look more to the central part of the map.

There you will see Kamloops and Vernon.  Sushwap Lake is between those two cities.  We will be moving somewhere within a vicinity of 100 km of the area between Kamloops and Vernon.  This area is about a five-hour drive from my current home, so this will be an enormous move.  We will be heading up to sunshine, away from the rainforest  area which we now live in.  Have a great and wonderful day, health, Cindi

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=2

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »

Cindi, I didn't mean going to those towns, just the general Okanogan area but on the Canadian side.  Those places are 5hrs from me & are more sunny than here so I was thinking (I know, a dangerous thing for me evil)  it would be sort of equivelent to your position in a general sort of way.  The info looks beautiful, love the name Kamloops! What an undertaking but also adventure! The weather should be condusive to more bike trips..well, except for this time of year...brrrrr! grin  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »

Wow Cindi!!
 Moving?Huh
 This is the first I've heard of this!( at least that i remember!)
Oh my gosh!! Even Janelle is shocked because of such a nice place you have, with plants and trees, and a new deck......
 Is everything ok? I mean, do you HAVE to move because of the economy coming unglued?
 Are one of your family members gonna buy your place? I mean, as long as Ive known you here, your posts and pics of your place really seemed like home. Are you happy or sad about moving? are you still gonna be in the country?..and your critters......can you take all them with you?...Hmmm,...maybe this bothers me more than it does you...Its like, well,...I got to see your pics and stuff...and now, Its depressing that we wont get to see the home place anymore..or the kids when they were there...or the creek.....Or your rock pile.....
 I'm bummed.......I sure hope your new place is better!!!!....You gotta help me get thru this!!

your friend always,
john

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:48:49 PM »

It is about where I thought, the S in the USA below the BC map is apporixmately where the Grand Coolley Dam is and Kelowna is almost directly above that.  You'll be almost directly above my borther.  The Okanogans are hilly a little warmer during the summer than the coast but decidedly chiller during the winter, about a 10-20 degree drop at times.  Right now my brother has temps below 0 while I'm having temps in the high teens and mid 20's/

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »

So, Cindi, it looks as though you're going a bit northeast of where you are now, right?  Drier there?  Good for you.  I hope you find someplace there just as wonderful as what you're leaving - or that it has the potential to be that as the result of your magic touch!  Smiley

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »

Are you bringing the rocks with you?

...JP Kiss

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »

Yes, she already said the rocks are coming with her!!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »

I can just see Cindi & Ken as Lucy & Ricky in the Long Long trailer!! Clothes, hairstyles & everything! Hee hee! grin  Just cracked myself up thinking about it!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »

Ooops, oh my great forum friends, you all make me laugh, bringing that sweet smile to my face.  It is a good thing.

I don't want to talk about me, I don't really like to do that, or be the centre of attention, but I think that some clarification needs to be set in place here.  Now John, (Johnnybigfish) this is especially for you, and clarification of whom I am speaking to.  As there are two Brians, there are Johns (several).

The move will be a wonderful and wholesome thing.  Do not worry or fear for me.  Yes, we have spent a good part of our life working our land, creating this little piece of beauty, hard work, but work from the depths of our souls, making it something that we wanted it to be.  It is time to move on.

The move has been in our minds for quite some time now.  You all know how important my children and family are to me.  Several years ago my oldest Daughter moved from our area to a bit further north, on the map, it is known as Kelowna.  We visit them frequently.  It is a long trip, about 4 hours to drive....but we do that with zest and love.  We have thought that one day it would be nice to be closer to them, and more sunshine, but no thoughts about a move had really come to the forefront of life, yet.....

Our youngest Daughter, along with her Husband and my two Grandsons, have lived on our property for the past 6 years.  In that mobile home that my Husband created a beautiful addition to.  It is quite a large structure.  You will recall me speaking of this, or you may not.  For the past 6 years I have had the joys of having my Daughter, her Husband and my two Grandsons only a whisper away.  Due to both the parents working, these children for all these years have been one of my projects for those early mornings, along with the foster children, hee, hee.  When these two boys awake, they come to our house, get into our great big bed, watch TV before they head off to school -- and get treated like little kings -- they are my little kings.... They get their breakfast in bed (and have for 6 years), they have their school lunches made for them, and then kicked out the door with a great big fat kiss and a hug, to begin that same routine the following day.  The foster boys get a good breakfast, but it is not quite the same Gramma touch as my Grandsons have received, that is a given, and for very obvious reasons.  It has been that way for so long, I can hardly remember what it was like before they moved "back home".  Oh dear, I am ramblin', but I must ramble to fully impart what is going on in my life.

Now where was I?  Right.  The real reason for our move.  Our youngest gal has been visiting her Sister over the years too, spending lots of time at their place, she has always wanted to move up to horse country with her Sister.  They are both event girls....they love to ride, show, and play on their steeds.  My oldest gal as really got deep into barrel racing, buffalo chasing, gymkannas, and all the western horsey type stuff that is done up there near to where she lives in the wild, wild west.  She has a 6 horse trailer that she trailers her horses all over blazes back acre to do these horsey events.  My youngest gal has caught this fever and wants to be that cowgirl too.  Each time she has visited her big Sister, the more and more she has wanted to be closer to her so that they can have that fun all the time, playing as Sister's do.

The last time that my youngest gal and her family went to visit my oldest Daughter, a colleague of her Husband offered a job to my youngest gal's Husband, one that is more in pay than the job that he currently works.  Well.  That was it.  Her dream had come true.  There was every reason in the world now to move up to be near to her Sister, and those thoughts of moving were set into motion.

Now, many of us have moved over the years.  We know what that fever is like when something is set to motion.  Decisions are made and then the forward thinking is the only way to go.  The move is happening.  My Daughter's and their families will live with each other until a new home can be found, which should not take too long.

So that leaves me and my Husband behind here.  Whah, whah, whah, sorry, I can't be left behind.  I need my family.  I began to think, honestly and truly, what is life all about.  Happiness.  Right?  Well, I would not be happy with all my children and their progeny so far away that it would take me hours and hours to visit all of them.  So, why would I do that?  Why would I do something that would make me unhappy.  That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, in my mind.  So.  We are going to move.

It will be a good thing.  We will be moving to a place that has probably no less than double the sunshine that we have here.  In our microclimate, I would certainly say that there is more rain, cloudy skies than there is sunshiney days.  And I really do like sunshine much more than the cloud and rain.  In the Okanagan it is colder in winter, yes, hotter in summer, yes, but I know for a fact that there is not the weeks and weeks of dull, dismal cloudy days that we have here.  That has been bothering me alot too.  The years seem to be getting more cool and less sunshine, I have seen that now three summers in a row.  Time to get that sun.

My bees, all my farmyard feathered critters are all coming with us.  My rocks, well that has been spoken of too, many of them are coming too.  I don't think I will take the entire rock pile.  But I have every intention of going through them and taking the best of the best with me.  That is going to be alot of work, but it is good therapy too, and will further hone my skills of accurately pitching rocks.  Yep, yep, a little strange here, I am the first to totally agree with that thought about me.  But that is OK, I am tough, I can take any kind of things people say, good or bad, hee, hee, smiling that secret smile.

Hold on, John, I have to go back and see if there was any more comments that you made that I need to elaborate on, to make you feel OK yourself about our move.  It will be good John, do not let that worry your soul.  I do hear your sadness, but do not let it so be.  It is not a sad time, John, it will be a new page in this life, that is all.

You asked if we will be in country.  Oh yes, I am a country girl.  100%.  I never could live in anything but country.  We do not have a place chosen, that is yet too early.  We are looking right now at locations, after the new year we will begin in earnest to get things more settled.  The big thing will be to sell our home, that may take a long time, it may be a short time, and as we know, only time will tell that tale.

I want a smaller piece of property.  I am thinking that it should be no smaller than 2 acres and no bigger than 2 acres (try and figure that one, hee, hee).  It could be a bigger piece of property, but it would have to be cleared land, in field, or full of trees on the back part that could be left as bush.  Anything where I don't have to work hard on the land.   I don't want to work as hard as I have had over the years at my place.  There needs to be more time for play.  And yes, Jody, you hit that right on the nail.  I want to ride more.  We only got out about 5 times last summer.  Between the house renos and the bad weather, there was not much time for the ride.  Up country, there will be sunshine, and lots more time to ride, I know that.

My Daughters and their spouses are into sports, like water and snow.  I want to play with them in the watercrafts and snowcrafts.  The interior of our province is known for snow and water sports, so that is also what I want to be doing.  Having fun, fun, fun, in that sun, sun, sun!!!

Ann, yep, yep, quite a bit northeast of where we are.  And yes.  The sun shines up there, alot.  Drier, hotter, colder.  Get this!!!

Even green algae doesn't plague everything up in those areas like it does down here on the southwestern part of our province.  We have so much green algae that grows on everything.   I kid you not.  It is the moist air.  You should see our 5th wheel right now.  We washed it in August for a road trip (that never happened, rats!!!).  And I looked at it yesterday, it is all green again, especially on the northern part of it, where the sun don't shine, hee, hee.  All our pool furniture that sits outside all year around must be pressure washed every spring because of the green mould and algae.  I will not miss that, not even one teeny tiny bit.

Oh carumba!!!  It seems like I am right a book here, never meant this to be a long post.  But I have things to say.

Now my beautiful Sister and family.  They live with us too.  They are doing that big move too!!!  Yeah!!!!  She is the same as me.  Her and I are like twins, but only look different, and 12 years apart, me being the older.  She loves the sunshine as much as I do, and they will come in tow.  So it is going to be an enormous uprooting.

And.....guess also what.  I have three other siblings that have families, and I would no doubt one little bit, nor bet my bottom dollar that this will not instigate them to want to move away to the sunshine. 

Before my Mother died, in 1980, that was my Mother's dream.  To have all her children move along with her and my Father up to a place in this interior of our province.  But her thought was for the entire family to buy like 1,000 acres and share and work the land.  Never transpired, the very obvious.  She died at a very early age of 49.  So, her dream in some sort of way, will come true, she will be smiling down.

So John, has that answered your questions?  Have I helped you to get through this (I am smiling, you are a cute dude with things that you say).  I hope that you feel better.  This move is going to be a wonderful thing.  The things we do for love.......

And oh yes.   Whether the home be an established home with yard, and so on, or land that we may move a double wide trailer onto, whatever it may be.....the most important thing of all.....

That there be internet, that there be electricity and running water.  Very important, especially the internet.  I guess satellite would work too.  But I will not lose contact with the outside world, in particular, every last one of you that has made my quality of life improve.  My forum friends, very special and important ones in my life, my hugs to you all.  Have that most wonderful day, great life and health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 11:41:38 AM »

Was that the condensed version? grin Kiss grin

Good luck Cindi, family is a great thing, we understand your decision, I'm glad you are excited about moving but honestly had no idea this was in the cards for you.

Don't worry about not being able to bring all your rocks with you, you can always find other rocks, they are a dime a dozen, but I know you will miss them.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »

Was that the condensed version? grin Kiss grin
...JP

JP, you bad boy!!!  Did you miss the condensed version somewhere?  Kidding, and smiling that secret smile.  There was no condensed version, I tried and tried, but it turned out to be a book!!! Have a great, most wonderful day, great health wishes for us all.  Cindi

PerryBee
New Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »

Some like it hot. grin
Hi Cindi. Surprised to hear of your move. I was born and lived the first 18 years of my life in Vernon, most of my family is still there.
Before we moved here( Nova Scotia) we lived in Burnaby so I understand the move. Two seasons, rainy and not so rainy. Are you sure
you can stand the heat? Last time I was in Kamloops I actually saw tumbleweeds blowing across the hwy. shocked It gets HOT there.
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »

Ok,..Thats a lot of explaining you did Cindi!!
 And it answers all my questions and concerns!!..Thanks!!!
 And, now, it sounds like its a good thing then!!!
 I was concerned that something bad may have happened to make you move!
 I looked at the area youre moving too and it looks really nice!.Its got a pretty good size population but, at the same time, not TOO big! and, apparently, you wont be in the city part anyways!
 I saw waterfalls, and the lake and rivers, and really nice trees!! It said the area was know for logging and I think mining.
 Well That sounds like a pretty cool place to be! As long as youre happy, I'm happy!!!
your friend,
john

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »

a move is a good chance to clean out all the junk!  wish you well in your new adventure and i'm sure you'll post lots of pictures of all that you do  grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »

I have moved hundreds of miles and literally two houses. It makes hardly any difference in the work.

Take what Kathy says to heart. Throw out, throw out, throw out(or donate, but dont bring a lot) Its hard, but is a necessary evil.

and you will be so close to Bamf! WOW! So gorgeous!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »

Some like it hot. grin
18 years of my life in Vernon, most of my family is still there.
...in Burnaby so I understand the move. Two seasons, rainy and not so rainy. Are you sure
you can stand the heat?

I like it hot!!!  I have always been a sun godess and can take an awful lot of heat.  The interior of our province is a different kind of heat than here were we live.  The humidity here makes for ugly heat.  As you know, living in Vernon, the Okanagan is dry, different kind of heat.  BTW, Vernon area is another area of choice, but going further eastward towards Lumby.  That is very rural and I love that area too.   I am currently about one-half hours drive from Burnaby, well, that depends if it is north, central or south Burnaby I guess.  What part did you live in?  Which crossroad?  We go to Burnaby all the time to see my Husband's Sister, and I grew up in Burnaby, through childhood, before the Lougheed Mall was built, I lived on Government Road, when it was all still acreage, and we all had horses -- imagine that eh?  Yes, I am ready for more than those two seasons of rainy and rainier, hee, hee.

Oh yes, Kathy, Konasdad, it is a time for cleansing of junk, hee, hee, I have lots of that stuff.....my Husband has more (eeks, how can I get him to let go?).  This move may take some fair time, depending on how things go once our house is on the sale market.  It could  be years yet, hee, hee.  You know we will all be always updated, hee, hee...Have a wonderful, most awesome life, day, health.  Cindi

PerryBee
New Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »

Hey Cindi
We lived right behind the Lougheed Mall in Simon Fraser Hills. My wife lived in Poco when I met her, before that on the Ford Rd. Detour. Lumby is a nice spot, mostly a logging/mill community when I grew up. They just shut down the Lavington Glass Plant last month so I'm not sure what would be available for work around there. Maybe you'll sell your place in the lower mainland for a King's ransom and buy in Cherryville or someplace like that and have a lot of extra jingle in the jeans! grin
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »

behind the Lougheed Mall in Simon Fraser Hills. My wife lived in Poco  before that on the Ford Rd. Detour.  buy in Cherryville

I know Simon Fraser Hills. When we were kids, so many years ago, Burnaby Mountain was riddled with old logging trails. We would ride our Yamaha 80 dirt bikes all over that mountainl all days long.  Probably long before Simon Fraser Hills were ever even thought of being built.  Ford Road Detour, I think that is down by the Pitt River bridge, back roads of Pitt Meadows?  Not too sure, but seems that is where the detour is.  Interesting.

Cherryville...sounds like an interesting name, gonna have to google that area.  I love cherries, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, love and live life well, health.  Cindi

Cherryville, just a little east of Lumby, low population, my kind of place, hee, hee.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townid=4054

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »

See now Cindi you can move down here to SoFla.

You can get a couple of acres in the middle of the state. That way you are not quite in swamp central. You will still be able to enjoy our snakes and skeeters. The occasional possum or deer. And of of course the raccoons will deal with your garbage cans every Tuesday and Friday. Also moving to Florida means you are thousands of miles away from pesky family members who ask you to babysit at the last moment. Oh wait you want to be near family.............nevermind.  evil

I hope you find a wonderful place and get to spend time with you family. When they drive you nuts come down here in winter and will will drink frozen margaritas in our shorts and send them pictures of us getting tans.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »

Brendhan, interesting that you say these things.  When we make that final move, our plans are to travel during the wintertime coldness up here, leaving for the sunshine down south -- we want to have a more updated 5th wheel and travel.  That is our aspiration, so we may one day be down at your place in wintertime, sitting around in our t-shirts, suckin' up margaritas, and sending great pictures to those loved ones of ours, still hangin' out in the snow, hee, hee. We will be close enough to our children that they can look after the birds and the bees.  We won't be foster parents anymore, we are leaving that page behind here, we will be free to be.  Have a wonderful and great day, love life.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next