Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 01:12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so we bought a new house.....  (Read 1363 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: December 19, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »

if you remember the story of the dogs in my pastures.....  the people who owned that house lost it to the bank.  we decided we'd had enough of bad neighbors and bought the house out of forclosure.  just signed the papers today with 10 days to back out if inspections are messed up.  had the well inspection done today.  well runs fine.  they ripped off the tank, but other than that, good pressure....good enough to break a pipe in the ceiling in the house....all this cold weather and no heat in there....

so now, in addition to all the other things that  need to be fixed, we'll be in the attic fixing pipes and replacing insulation.

just bleep*&%, but i think it will be worth it.  i just can't understand how people can trash a place as they go out the door.  it's not like someone stole the house from them.  the guy was a drug user and they took out one of those + equity loans to "remodel" the house.  so yeah, you are stupid....go on and rip the door off the cupboards, put holes in the walls and take a dump in both bathrooms.....guess he feels better now!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »

So now what are you going to do? You going to rent or resale. I'm happy for you  grin Looks like you got a bunch of work to do. I do repair's for a guy that has rentels you would be surprised at how people can live. I did a repair today all that happend was the drain pipe came loose and they still used the sink what a mess. I even had to clean a spot on the floor before I could get started didn't want to lay in all that stuff. When I go to hand him the bill I'm going to tell him about the mess.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »

People stink (well, I'd use another word, but I'm sure it would be bleeped).  I've always wanted to buy out my neighbors, they aren't bad or anything but I want their land.  It's a dream  Smiley

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »

irwin, i wish you lived closer!!!

the immediate plan is to fix it up and give my MIL the option of living in it rent free.  she needs to be someplace where there are not stairs and she loves to garden and be outside.  the property adjoins ours, but is not so close that we will be on top of each other.  close enough to keep an eye on her, take her shopping, etc.  if she choose not to live there, we will rent it out.  as much as i hate dealing with renters, i hope that we will be able to screen them well enough to avoid the problems we have had with the last two owners of this house.  the 1st was a nice guy, but a drunk.  he used to shoot at a tree in my pasture claiming he was shooting at raccoons (for me).  the last bunch were a nightmare.  drugs, break ins from drug friends, dogs, fighting, and kids that screamed for no reason except to hear themselves scream.  the wife was nice, but low wattage in the intelligence department.  i felt sorry for her when the marriage broke up.  no education and 3 kids under age 6.  what a mess.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:49:55 PM »

Been there, done that!!  Wish you success.
That is exactly why when someone asks "Why did you build your house 1/2 mile from the road and the nearest property line?" I answer with "I've lived all around the world, Europe, Asia, Canada and in ten different states. Had Great Neighbors, Good Neighbors and Poor Neighbors but the Best Neighbors are NO NEIGHBORS!!!" Smiley Smiley Smiley
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:44:50 PM »

the house is several acres away and out of sight, but still to close.  if nothing else, i'll leave it empty and enjoy the peace.  smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »

Oh Kathy, wow beautifully wonderful is that.  You will have that peace that comes along without stupid neighbours like what you had.  I recall your thread about the dogs in the pastures.  Won't it be nice to not have to worry about the things that go on with dysfunctional people, like you have had to deal with.  It would be wonderful if your MIL moved in, you could take care of her to that certain degree, and her being in the country, she could garden her little heart out, beautiful.  Tell us more as things progress.  I hope that there isn't too terribly much work you have to do, you have enough on your plate already.  Beautiful, most wonderful day, life, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:57:53 AM »

Good Luck Kathy with the new house. We had my MIL living next door for 6 years before she passed on. My husband was able to walk back and forth to check on her. It was a great setup for her.

Very good to take care of elderly parents, good karma!!. This was a reason I became a beekeeper because we could not go anywhere from home because she needed us so badly all the time, we were always stuck at home. I needed a hobby and thus the beekeeping came about.

Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »

irwin, i wish you lived closer!!!

the immediate plan is to fix it up and give my MIL the option of living in it rent free.  she needs to be someplace where there are not stairs and she loves to garden and be outside.  the property adjoins ours, but is not so close that we will be on top of each other.  close enough to keep an eye on her, take her shopping, etc.  if she choose not to live there, we will rent it out.  as much as i hate dealing with renters, i hope that we will be able to screen them well enough to avoid the problems we have had with the last two owners of this house.  the 1st was a nice guy, but a drunk.  he used to shoot at a tree in my pasture claiming he was shooting at raccoons (for me).  the last bunch were a nightmare.  drugs, break ins from drug friends, dogs, fighting, and kids that screamed for no reason except to hear themselves scream.  the wife was nice, but low wattage in the intelligence department.  i felt sorry for her when the marriage broke up.  no education and 3 kids under age 6.  what a mess.
Kathy if the wife's change of life keeps up. I may just come up there to help so I can get away for a bit grin

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »

Most people put their MIL in a bank, y'all don't have banks where you live, you could get you a big safe.

Rent the house out and get your money back, then use it for a honey house, neighbors can be the most wonderful thing or a nightmare, looks like you've had more of the horrific kind. Good luck Kathy!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 10:53:54 AM »

Kathy, what a relief to be rid of those neighbors! I remember reading some of your posts & know how frustrating it is to have stupid (did I say that? Lips Sealed) irresponsible people close.  What a wonderful thing for your MIL and less worry for you guys to be able to keep an eye on her but give her a feeling of independence & privacy. The yard & gardening of her own will keep her healthy & alert & you guys can help quietly in the background the things too hard for her.  I was planning on how I could have Dad here but never got the chance. Are there usable outbuildings?  Does it have acerage?? If so MORE PASTURE=less hay to buy!!  grin  You can get Dexters & have your own meat! More space for more BEES!  Oh boy, getting too excited too early in the am..Congrats on your purchase & peace of mind whatever option you decide on. Don't kill & stress yourselves too much with repairs, one area at a time, it doesn't sound like MIL needs to move immediately. Myself I would take that route, at least you know it will be taken care of, she may insist on helping offset some of the costs, taxes whatever she can afford at the very least make it pretty & keep it clean! There may be tax advantages also. Later you can decide on renting. The house across from us was like that, they ripped every electrical fixture out, & looked like they jumped through every inside wall, huge holes//flooring & carpet, well, we won't even go there! Don't for the life of me understand destruction for destructions sake..The people there now are still finding things.  I'm so excited for you! Keep warm, it's bitterly cold here & more ick late tonight & into tomorrow!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next