Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 05:54:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thirty-seven days, or so, the page has turned over  (Read 3056 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: December 18, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »

Two things to remember on November 11.  The day that we all remember our fallen soldiers.....and to me, that day had also a different meaning, a day of another thing fallen, to remember also for the rest of my life.

Smoking......I have been that awful cigarette butt smoker for over 40 years, probably more close to 45 years.  I began when I was at about the age of 12, I am now fifty-five.  Doing the math, it would appear that it is probably more than likely to be almost exactly.....hmmm....thinking....43 years, yeah, I can still count.

September 11 of this past year, I put down the cigarette, never to pick it up again.  The details are not something that I wish to speak about, it has been a very difficult month, for me and mine, (smiling that secret smile that can be taken any way you choose).   rolleyes cheesy cool huh shocked grin Lips Sealed Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley.  Isn't there any more little face pictures that I can push to get my point across, hee, hee.... I think my Husband has actually gone to blazes and back again, no doubt, on my account....he is still in love with me, (don't know how that could have possibly happened, knowing what a demon I have been this past month) -- and I know he would travel that highway, over and over, if it was something that he had to do, hee, hee.  Anyways.  This is a time for me to rejoice.  A time for me to tell all my friends, be they personal or forum cyberspace, I am that new-and-improved woman -- the non-smoker.

This woman has foiled the very devil himself, and got that big ol' monkey to jump right off my back, he'll never climb back on.  I, at this time, feel that I can honestly say that I have now joined the ranks of the non-smoking human beings, I am grateful for this, as I am grateful for everything else in my life.  I will never smoke again, I make this promise to myself, and to the world that will listen to me.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, love your lives we all live and share, great health.  Cindi

P.S.  Brendhan, I know that you will be particularly proud of me, smiling...... cool

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:50 PM »

Good for you Cindi! I am proud of you and for you. My wife quit, it will be 3 yrs this Christmas, I have never been a smoker (just bees, ha ha) myself, but know from my wife's struggle how difficult a thing it is to stop that horrendous habit.

I know it is tough sometimes to not have one when your body and mind is telling you otherwise. Its all in the mind as for you staying free and when you are going out of your mind and things seem unbearable just go outside and kill another chicken like you did the other day, but don't bury this one, eat it.

...JP Wink

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »

when you are going out of your mind and things seem unbearable just go outside and kill another chicken like you did the other day, but don't bury this one, eat it.
...JP Wink

Oh my dear forum friend, you surely know me like a book!!!  A chicken, a chicken, a chicken.....and oh man, JP, you make me laugh!!!  You have the wonderful side to you that we all know and love!!!  Have that most wonderful, awesome and greatest of a day, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »

Wink

...JP Kiss

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »

January 7th 2006 (or was it 2005) is when I quit after about 33 years of smoking.

Still think about wanting one every now and then.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 01:45:09 AM »

wow, i could fill a book with all the dates on which i have quite smoking.  an equally long book would contain the days i took it up again!  smiley   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 04:47:54 AM »

Well done, Cindi.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 07:24:29 AM »

Good for you, Cindi (although I'm sorry you've been having a bad time otherwise!).  I also started when I was 12, but took the opportunity to quit when my first son was born (yes, I smoked through the first pregnancy, it didn't stunt him too much, he was 7 lbs 14oz) because I had a c-section and they wouldn't let us smoke in our rooms.  I was 24, so I smoked for 12 years and never ever went back to them.  He's 28 now, which makes me (taking my slippers off to use my toes, too!) 52 now.  They were 75¢ a pack when I quit!  I can't imagine paying for smokes now.

Anyways, Cindi, congrats, expect to dream about the darned things for many years, I think it was 15 years before I finally stopped.  Not good dreams, I'd wake up thinking I'd started the previous night or something, and was always very upset with myself.  There will be times the thoughts will flit across your mind.  Ignore them, they will pass.  People rarely use matches anymore, but every once in awhile someone will light a cigarette with a match and I'll get that little scent, it's a pleasant reminder, if you can believe it, of my parents, who both smoked for years and years.  Isn't it funny how something that's bad for you can still have good associations?

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »

I quit Dec. 21, 2007  so Sunday is my one year mark.  We will be going out to dinner and celebrating.  Smiley  I completely understand how you feel.  Never again will I smoke.  That being said, I think about smoking at least once an hour still. 

Charla Hinkle
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »

I will never smoke again, I make this promise to myself, 

This is the key. You have to have the commitment that you have had enough. No more ever.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »

Cindi,
I did not think that my opinion of you could go up?? But no one in this world knows what it takes to quit smoking unless they have. Keep it up, your are right, you have to have the courage to stare the devil himself right in the face and stand fast. The problem is, you get yourself all siked up to take the evil of all evil and expect to see this beast with horns and everything.... And then when he comes at you he is a cute and cuddly kitten, or some hot girl in a bikini or something like that, not only seems harmless but actually quite desireable. Cunning *^$#^*#....
Stand fast girl, stand fast, we are all here if you need us.
Careful though, first thing you stop smoking, the next thing you know you are going back to church and all. Stay away from the cute young men in the white shirts and ties Wink Wink You know what I mean!!!
Have a great weekend,,, and give my deepest sympathies to Ken!!
Frantz

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 12:17:45 PM »

Oh Cindi, I am so happy for you!  I was so surprised to find out you did smoke @ Brians, goes totally against your inner beauty & love of life!  What an awful addiction.  My Mom died of lung cancer & Dad from the various respitory diseases caused by smoking so I am very sensitive to the dangers & saddens me greatly for anyone I know (or don't know) to smoke. That promise to yourself is a great motivator, we are also all here for you to lean on. I didn't have the addiction so don't know exactly what you are going through but we do have many other personality similaraties that I will help in any way I can.  It makes my heart happy to know that your body will be getting healthier each hour. I've heard there will be a type of "purging" for awhile as your body rids itself of the toxins.  I have something I can recommend to help bring nutrients to your cells & hasten your body's repair & defenses.  I'll PM you with the info, you can research & see if it's for you. Again YAYS for Cindi!!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »

how did you quit? just put them down?  i'd be interested in how you succeeded.  i have given up quitting because i think the stress of not smoking will kill me faster than the little  bit i smoke....still, always willing for new ideas.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »

I think ken should get a silver star for his bravery. hot flashes quit smoking he is a brave man. I'm happy for you Cindi you are a strong women. I have tried to stop but I cant seam to. I go out side because of the grand kid's. Maybe the mod's can start a stop smoking form so we can help each other out. I used to smoke two pack's a day down to one now. I just set time's for smoking like one every half hour it's hard when you drink beer so I cheat a bit then. And then the morning coffee and a cig to get going. I can't seam to kick that one. 

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »

As I was thinking about quitting...

I would only smoke outside. Also not while I was driving. I had to stop if I wanted to smoke.

I would not carry them around. This way it was a chore to have to go get one.

I would light up and take only one or two puffs. Put it out. And then the next time I would have to light up this same butt and a puff or two put it out until it was gone.

Then when I finally decided I wanted to quit. That was it. No more. It was easier. This is when you do not ever light up again. You get the urges quite often and you do something to get your mind off of them. It passes after about a minute. But then comes back around in about five minutes. But it gets more distance between urges the longer you go without.

IF you make it the first week, the next week is easier. But as mentioned here, even after years of no smoking, every now and then you think back on the days when...... but don't do it.

Jerry

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »

Way to go Cindi!
 I was quitting for a 3 year period..But, in reality for the last 20 years i only smoked when i drank!   Nothing like a beer or coffee with a cigarette like Irwin said!
 I'd smoke a pack to a pack and a half in a matter of a few hours when I drank!( which was every nite after work and on the weekends...all the time I guess!!)
But now,That I'm pretty much a non drinker, Due to my health and not because I dont want to drink, I now dont smoke! During the summer Russ came over....He had a cigartette going....And, for some crazy reason, I had been CRAVING a cig for about a month!!!
 So, I persuaded Russ to "Gimmee a drag".........and,.....BLECCCHHHHH!!!!!! It was nothing like what i imagined! It was AWFUL!!!!
 And As I heard once before,in a bowling alley....Theres nothing worse than an Ex-smoker when it comes to second hand smoke!!!...Actually, even when I did smoke, unless I was smoking, I couldnt stand the smell of cig smoke!!...Oh mannn,....I can remember the stench of Hell itself coming out of my shirt pocket in high school from keeping cigarette butts in so i could smoke them between classes!!!
 So,...Are you still swillin' beers? if you can drink and not smoke, you are one special person!!!

your friend,
john

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 09:27:45 PM »

So,...Are you still swillin' beers? if you can drink and not smoke, you are one special person!!!
your friend,
john
John, in all honesty, that is gonna be the test.  I can still swill that glass of wine and it is OK, but it is wintertime.  I am going to have mountains to climb before I can truly say that I am a non-smoker.  There are so many comments here that I would wish to make, I could write that book, hee, hee.  I smoked because I loved to smoke, doing specific things while I smoke.  Any smoker will know EXACTLY what I mean, the times when smoking goes hand in hand, just like you speak of John, a beer and a smoke.....pulling weeds with that weed hanging out of my mouth. It is wintertime...I will repeat that....springtime when I am outside, wanting to pull a weed with that weed hanging out my mouth, that will be tribulation of all time.  I will make it though.  This mind has been set...and when I make up my mind, heaven nor earth could move me.  Ken will attest to that.  I have marked this thread as "unread" because I have some very important comments that I must make to the people that smoke here, no I am not that horrible reformed smoker.  Never will be.  I even don't mind if my Daughter smokes in my car as we are driving.....I smoked in my car...I do not expect her to stop smoking in my car because I no longer go, I don't work that way.  She is watching me, she told me yesterday that she may even attempt this particular type of smoking cessation, she has seen me, and she said that if I could quit sucking on that weed, then she surely could.  I was deeply engrained with smoking, loved it, probably still would love it....but as said, never, never even think of putting one in my mouth, let alone dragging on it!!!  Comments will come soon, I am getting more time again.  Have that wonderful, most beautiful day, in this great life, live this life and love it like there was nothing else on earth, health.  Cindi

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 09:50:48 PM »

The best Christmas present I ever gave my wife, according to her, was quiting smoking.  December 25, 1975.  I developed Adult onset Asthma about 10 years later and honestly think that if I hadn't quit smoking when I did I'd have been planted 20 years ago.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 02:51:55 AM »

I smoked for 7 years and quit cold turkey when I could not walk up the stairs without losing my breath.And I was only in my 20's at the time. Took up gum chewing and gained 30 lbs the first winter. Depressing.  But I never went back totally. I played around here and there, but nothing ever serious and now I have absolutely no desire.

I have a very good friend who has smoked for 50 years and she just gave it up 2 weeks ago and she will not come out of the house because she feels so bitchie and doesn't want to be around people. I am praying for her and Cindi I am praying for you that you have the strength to continue and get your body nice and healthy.

Write here how you are doing on a daily basis. We all love you and support you on this mission.

Take Care
Annette
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »

I hope your bees don't become irritable from not being smoked all the time.  You might have to keep your bee suit on at all times, Cindi.

Lone
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next