Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 02:25:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grammar  (Read 4223 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: December 18, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Features/Columns/?article=RuiningMovies&gt1=27004

i don't remember who wrote the grammar post a long time past.  it's one of my buttons also.  we all screw up our grammar from time to time, so a refresher course is great!  + this is funny.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:10:22 PM by kathyp » Logged

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »

Yeah. Some people want to poke their noses up in the air and demonstrate how much smarter they are than other people.  grin

Me? I have an excuse...

I am a hunt and peck typer and most of the letters are gone from my keyboard.

I have a redneck reputation to uphold.

I was deprived of a proper education by the system.

I was born with a social handicap and haven't a clue as to how to drag myself up form the depths. Would you just do it for me?

I'm multitasking. Trying to think and type at the same time.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:52:18 PM »

ever hear a high school student interviewed for the news?  it's like special...and wow man, it's like they quit teachin' like english like in school!  guess english and grammer were replace by the all important diversity class. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Big John
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:01:17 PM »

Jerrymac, GOOD ANSWER !

"Semper Fi"
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »

Jerrymac, GOOD ANSWER !

Which one  huh

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »

Me agrees with you.

Rick
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »

That reminds me of my 4 year old's worst grammer mistake :

"No I amn't"

(as in "You are a cute little boy."  "No, I amn't")

I just love hearing that one.

Rick
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »

You are setting everyone up Kathy.
Are we not talking about GRAMMAR.
A grammer would be someone who plays around with GRAMMAR.
Anyway so long as we can laugh at ourselves the world is OK.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »

Not exactly grammer related but my 3 year old niece used to use the word lasterday instead of yesterday I always got a kick out of it

Keith
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »

Personally, and I do a little professional writing, think the whole thing is a tad over blown.  On the forum I write as I think of it, and when a writing story (manuscript) I get to go back over and over and edit for proper English.  I do not expect that type of standard in casual conversation, and I consider the postings on a forum such as this as casual conversation.
Yeah, I can agree that most teenagers don't have enough respect for themselves or their elders to want to talk correctly, but as long as I can get the gist it's okay by me.  I look at it like I'm trying to understand someones who's 1st language is not English and what English they know is a tad broken.  I respect their attempt to communicate.  But, I do think the people who've begun to speak in text talk (BTW IBL8) is going too far. 
I mean, if I wanted to get uptight about it I might develop a phobia about having to read things written by people who never Capitalize.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »

grin

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »

A grammer would be someone who plays around with GRAMMAR.

Nuh uh!  Grammer was actually married to Gramper.   grin

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »

ok....true confessions.  i can't spell.  you have no idea how many misspelled words are found by the checker in every post i make. 

the grammAr thing started because about the time i saw the article, i heard kids being interviewed on tv about their snow days.  it was painful. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »

Spell check is our best friend, there's an outdoor forum I frequent, full of people who cannot spell to save their lives, its actually pretty sad. We don't have to be perfect on a public forum as long as you get the jest of things, who are we to judge each other on this really, but when the majority of the users cannot spell most words, yes I said MOST words correctly, it kinda makes my skin crawl, I wish that site would add spell check, it would be such a beautiful thing. The thing is, most of the moderators cannot spell so its a moot point.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »

JP, just pretend you're reading an old Mark Twain novel with local dialect.

Or use Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary.  European: (Yur 0 pee an) noun, a descriptive act.  Example: European on my boot.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »

What really needs work around here is the misuse of same sounding words.

There. Their. They're

Our. Or. Are. Hour

Here. Hear.

Which. Witch.

I know there are others, just can't think of them now.

Jerry

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »

JP, just pretend you're reading an old Mark Twain novel with local dialect.

Or use Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary.  European: (Yur 0 pee an) noun, a descriptive act.  Example: European on my boot.

Sometimes its as if you're surrounded by axe murderers and inbreds, or one of the same, are they not?

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »

just for kicks i spell checked 'grammer' and it didn't catch it.  it didn't want to cap it like a name, but that's all i could find spelled grammer....as in kelsey, etc.  spell check flaw.  i reduce my blame by 50%.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »

We don't have to be perfect on a public forum as long as you get the jest of things, who are we to judge each other on this really, but when the majority of the users cannot spell most words, yes I said MOST words correctly, it kinda makes my skin crawl, I wish that site would add spell check, it would be such a beautiful thing. The thing is, most of the moderators cannot spell so its a moot point.
...JP

The JEST or the GIST?  And don't get me started on run-on sentences  grin.

My firefox spellchecker ketches grammer jist fine so I ain't got no 'scuse.

Rick
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »

Kathy, oh, I can tell you who are the grammar natzis.  That is Ann and me.......we both were probably deeply involved in that thread that you spoke about, Ann and I are freaks about spelling and grammar.....now Ann, if you read this, wouldn't you agree, smiling,  Wink Smiley Smiley  Oh come on, Ann, if you won't admit it, I will admit it for you, and I will tell the world --- I am a grammar freak -- along with being a spelling freak too -- always got every last single one right in all the spelling bees at school, still pretty good at it, now and then my spell checker reminds me that I may have spelled something wrong, but not too often, eekes,  am I ramblin'...pardon me.... tongue Kiss Kiss Kiss  Have that wonderful and awesome day, love life, live it, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next