Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 22, 2014, 06:29:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did You get Snow?  (Read 7630 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »

I have gone out 3x today to pester the cow!  She was fairly wild when I got her & now I can walk up & lay or fiddle with her if she is in the barn.  I take the halter on & off for no apparent reason & she gets treats. She comes running when I open the back door. Thinking I will be able to walk up to her & handle her out in the field by spring. Varied Thrushes are back, they seem to go away when the Robins are here, love their calls. Many flickers here too as well as 2-3 of the smaller sapsucker types & pileated. Better get out & fill the feeders again! J

Oh Jody, I saw the Varied Thrush on my lawn yesterday.  I haven't seen them in such a long time.  I cannot wait for the January to come, I know that they will be the first birds here to make their breeding calls, oh I love the sound the Varied Thrush make, it is the prettiest of all bird calls to me.  I have been breaking apart walnuts that my Sister gave me, I have given the shells to the birds outside, I know that there is lots of walnut meat still left inside, and between the Douglas squirrels, the Towhees, Black-capped chickadees and Stellar Jays, they have been having a field day with these nut shells.  I have given up on hanging feeders with my birds outside.  I find places beneath the tree limbs, where the snow is not, nor the frozen upheaved ground and place the bird feed there.  Most of the birds here are ground feeders, or ones that like to feed from above, but will feed from the ground.  My bird feeders were in such poor condition that I could not hang them, so I have to rely on this ground feeding technique.

That picture of you and the cow in the barn was a beautiful one for me to see, in my mind's eye.  Have you smelled her breath yet?  Remember me telling you how much I love the smell of cow breath (and puppy breath too).  Wait until she is grazing on the fresh grasses at your place, then the scent of her breath will be even more beautiful.  I fear with our impending move, that I will never get a chance to ever get a cow, that saddens me.  With all the people that live here, I could have warranted a milking cow, but when we move, it will be to a much smaller acreage, with only Ken and I living on it (well, we'll see how that one goes, smiling).  Getting a milk cow would not be a very smart idea, we could never use that much milk or cheese.  Oh no, I am serious.  I am so sorry, I have rambled so deeply and so far off topic, I really am sorry.  Have that most wonderful, awesome life and day, health.  Cindi

Carumba!!!  Yes, to get back on topic.  We have about 6 inches of snow, it is cold, -3 C (26F).  Haven't watched the news to see what is up for the forecast, but I don't think it is good.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »

Cindi, I have smelled her breath, wonderful!  I used to think cows smelled funny but they are just "different" than horses.  I know you know the beautiful smell of horses!  Rose smells good though when I bury my face on her back, kinda grew on me.  Cheve' the goat (whether) smells good too but not as good as a doe, they have a sweeter scent.  The whether's DO NOT smell like the bucks..eewww, I still get that smell in my mind when thinking about it, you do too I imagine!  Looking out my window @ the yard, the birdfeeders are right where I can watch em.  I toss stuff on the ground too although the chix guard under the feeders pretty good!  I added chix scratch to the bird mix for energy & fat. We have a little over 5" here, sposed to be sunny today so will take pix.  Tomorrow night another front is coming, this time w/wind.  Sunday looks like it will suck all around, snow,freezing rain (very scary to me) & maybe rain. It's so cold though that anything touching the roads, lines & trees will turn to ice.  Gonna try to get out of the neighborhood today, Curves, mail my cards & feed store.  I don't know bout you but when its gonna be bad I stock up on animal food so I won't have to worry about them. I have enough human food stockpiled around here to last months & can cook up the animal grain if need be!  Tell me more about where you are moving?  I know the decision wasn't made lightly, you love your little patch of land like I do. The only thing that would move me would be family. I haven't looked up where you are going, is it the Canadian side of the Methow here?  Twisp & Omak?  Beautiful country that area but too cold winters & dry.  I complain about the rain but don't like to irrigate either! Watered the yard just 1x this summer!  Better go pester something before I implode!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »

it's going to be a mess this weekend!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »

Tell me more about where you are moving?  I know the decision wasn't made lightly, you love your little patch of land like I do. The only thing that would move me would be family. I haven't looked up where you are going, is it the Canadian side of the Methow here?  Twisp & Omak?  Beautiful country that area but too cold winters & dry.  I complain about the rain but don't like to irrigate either! Watered the yard just 1x this summer!  Better go pester something before I implode!  J

Jody, surely do hope that you went and pestered something, or better yet -- poked something, wouldn't wanna see or hear of ya' imploding now, would we.

Where on earth did you get the idea that I may be moving to the Twisp, Omak, Methow.....I did not have a single clue as to what you were speaking about, so I googled these words.  It appears that they are places alongside the Canadian/American border.  I didn't delve any deeper because that is not even close to where we may move.

We are moving because of my family.  You said that you would not ever move, unless it was  because of family.  I said that I would never move.  We have been here almost 20 years and have created a paradise.  I do not brag here, but my place is like an enormous park (maybe just a little bit on the wildside in places, hee, hee, smiling).  But I have spent 18 years working hard, developing the land, creating gardens that even the Queen of England would be proud to love, and so on and so on.  It has been a work of love....now the last of my children are moving away (along with my Grandsons).  I could not bear to be any further distance away from them than one hour's drive.  Hence our initiation to move.  It is a very difficult decision, as you know, and can imagine.  My family means more to me than anything else in this world, and to be close by....I can say no more.  I have been very fortunate to have shared my property with my Daughter, her Husband and my two Grandsons for the past 7 years, they were only 20 feet from our home in a beautiful mobile home, which my Husband had built a large addition on, for when they moved to our property.  It has been nothing short of a magical moment in time, sharing my life with my beloved progeny.  The time has come to move on. 

Here I go again....I am off topic, I am ramblin', this may annoy many, but please, do not slight me, forgive me.....as I cannot help myself some of these times to ramble, and so I do.  I really mean it, my deepest apology.  So, still, have that most wonderful day, life, health, and every other good wish under this sun.  Cindi

Oh Jody, right......google this place where we are heading, one hour's drive from this central location (or maybe a little less or more).  We are thinking more of an area close to here called Sorrento, but who know's where the wind will take us, smiling

My oldest Daughter has moved to this area, in a small town called

Grindrod, British Columbia

Shuswap Lake

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=3974

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2008, 10:27:26 PM »

Looks like you'll be located mid-way between the Coastal (Cascades) and Rockie Mountains about 75 miles north of the Washington Boarder.  Is that about right?  More or less directly north of Grand Coolley Dam.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »

42.5 C here (108.5 F).  There is lots of ice here but it's in liquid form.

Lone
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »

We're still getting snow.  We got about a foot last night, and now the ocean effect snow is going to add another inch or two, they said.  It's snowing pretty good out there right now!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »

Brian, not even close to where you think I might be going to move.  Check this out, I am going to make a thread about the approximate location of our move.  Cindi

oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2008, 02:24:05 PM »

I just measured and we have 12" on the deck, last night it dropped to 12 degrees which kinda explains why we have no water today, the pump house was on its last legs two years ago and I was supposed to replace it this last summer, but never got to it. Tonight we are supposed to winds gusting upto 90mph followed by more snow, so pretty sure we will lose power, we could go into christmas with no power and no water yipee !!

At least we have planty of snow to melt down for water for the animals

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »

i bet you are in trouble!!  evil

are you getting wind from the east?  that's what we are getting and it's nasty.  only good thing is that it's probably going to blow most of the snow off the roofs.  hope so, or that ice that's coming is going to be really heavy on there....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »

Yep its coming from the east.

If we get much more snow I dont expect the covered front deck to stand up, also kinda hoping a tree comes down on the wifes van, she is having engine trouble and insurance is a handy thing, I would say hope a tree comes down on the house but with us in it thats not such a good idea. It could get really bad longest we had no power was 14 days and this could be like that.

On the good side, we have plenty of wood and coffee

poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »

Yep guys, we are expecting the E winds too & with the cold, snow & ice will most likely lose power.  There are cottonwood trees in the pasture, hope they fall the right way (away from the fence) sometimes they just explode! Woulda been easier If I had gone out & whacked em when they were little..sigh!  Time to fill all the water troughs, garbage cans & containers in the house cause on a well & if there is no power, no water. I hate it when it's this cold..have to melt the ice chunks from the buckets on the woodstove to pour out for the animals.  Glad I don't live in the old days..eeks, that would suck!  We do have the river 1/2 mile away so could walk the animals to if it goes too long.  Hope everyone weathers this ok, maybe won't be as bad as they say?? Undecided  J

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2008, 10:31:19 AM »

1 foot + of snow with 1/2 an inch of ice on top.  what a mess.  waiting for the power lines to come down.  freezing rain still falling.  can't fine the super soaker to clear the ice from the dish  Sad

peppermint schnapps goes good in hot chocolate!

Alexis de Tocqueville
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »

Looks like for once we got lucky, somehow we were passed up by the wind, even when everyone around us was getting hammered. Only about 4" more snow. So far no power outage so only having to deal with no running water.

Did you know it takes 5 buckets of snow to make one bucket of water Undecided

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »

one advantage of the ice.  i can take sheets of ice off the snow and throw it in the tank to melt  grin

Alexis de Tocqueville
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 02:14:23 PM »

We have, it seems one continuous snowstorm since friday afternoon. You just keep shoveling and it just keeps piling up.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »

We have, it seems one continuous snowstorm since friday afternoon. You just keep shoveling and it just keeps piling up.
That for sure, although it's finally (at 2:30) gone over to rain.  What a mess this is going to be when it freezes!

(for people who don't know, Natalie and I are about 10 miles apart.  We're getting the same weather)

I think we've seriously got about 20" on the ground right now!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »

Looks like for once we got lucky, somehow we were passed up by the wind, even when everyone around us was getting hammered. Only about 4" more snow. So far no power outage so only having to deal with no running water.

Did you know it takes 5 buckets of snow to make one bucket of water Undecided

That's what is called condensing condensaton.

We're currently at about 13 inches of accumulated snow and ice with more falling as I type, although the falling snow looks a little slushy.  That probably means an ice storm overnight when the temps drop into the single digits again.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »

peppermint schnapps goes good in hot chocolate!
[/quote]

Why yes it does Kathy!  Baileys is good too! grin  Only got 6" here & snowing right now.  I feel for you with the ice, we are a little crunchy but blustery snow now.  So far the wind hasn't been as bad as I had thought, you just never know!  It is much warmer toeday than the last few though, not that bone chilling dry cold.  Keep warm & safe everyone! J

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »

http://picasaweb.google.com/pearce.km/NowDec08?authkey=AAanK-sR9rQ#

a few snow pics.  still snowing, but not as hard.  wind has quit.  that's big +.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next