Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 05:10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did You get Snow?  (Read 7165 times)
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »

Sean, we got only a couple of inches, but the wind...oh my!  Driving to Church was like a blizzard, all swirly.  I know what you mean. This morning there were 2 cars stuck on the hill..one on each side..in the way & the people were GONE!!!  I went out Alberts hill cause it's somewhat covered from the snow & can use some of the shoulder (what shoulder you may ask!!??) for traction.  Felt like pushing those abandoned cars over the edge... evil  The chix have never seen snow so it was funny this morning!  They always "burst" out of the chix house when I open the door, they got 1/2 way & stopped, the ones behind still pushing, craning their necks, looking @ the snow doing the curious clucking they do at new things. They are so funny!  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »

High today was 57, it is around 18 tonight.  Only day I can remember the girls flying in the middle of the day and it sleets in the evening.  Only in Missouri...winter advisory till 6:00 A.M.  I don't mind snow, but ice is another thing. 

David
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 02:15:07 AM »

From Portalnd, OR to Vancouver, BC, the forecast is night time temps in the teens, highs during the day or the mid 20's with more snow possible.  Forecast is for the remainder of the week....7 day forecast.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »

We got about an inch last night and it just started here this morning at 7:30 if we get two inch's I will let the grandkids play in it for awhile.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 04:10:23 PM »

the snow wasn't bad.  the 30 mph wind from the east is a killer.  can't even breath out there!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »

I left the house last night for the first time this morning at 2am to get some cough syrup and all that snow turned to glass.  Thank god my Subaru is 4 wheel drive and I'm very experienced in winter driving.  The main roads weren't bad since they sanded them but the back roads were dangerous.  The wind here was howling and temps dropped down to the teens.  Who knows what the windchill was.  The snow barely melted in our yard today.  The clouds are back, wonder if it's gunna snow again.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »

Sean, I bet your hill is as bad as mine for getting out to the main roads..you have all the curves on that tapps hwy to get to Old Buckley. Please be very careful out there!  I know you are good in the winter but those other yahoos.. angry  & those rigs are not the most manuverable in the best of conditions! That wind was awful!  I cleaned out the barn/shed today & put fresh straw down for Rosie & the goat.  Put a sheet of plywood over part of the opening to block some of it.  Great thing though is the mud is all frozen so my shoes don't get all icky! It's supposed to be colder tonight, tomorrow like today (fun to hang laundry & have it freeze dry!) & snow on Wed. Woo Hoo??? huh J

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 02:34:36 AM »

OK I'm in now. Had an ice storm this afternoon, freezing temps down to the low 30's at night.

This is typical for December out here, just took a while to finally get here.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »

Hey, all you guys between Vancouver BC and Weed, CA. (You know who you are)  The weather man is saying the current cold snap could last the remainder of the year with occassional snow flurries (storms) interspursed.  Looks like we'll all get a White Christmas for once in every 10 years.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »

Indeed, a white Christmas would be cool.  We got around 5 inches of snow today, enough I got to play with the tractor and blade...LOL.  Needed a face mask though.  grin

David
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »

Ugh, I have to work on Christmas and a white one would just make it terrible.  Nothing like sliding in a giant gas bomb on wheels around town.  I will be wearing a santa hat and beard while driving my semi-tanker just for the kiddeos out there on their way to grandma's house!  Should be fun!!!

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 01:16:56 AM »

it snowed here saturday and again last night,  not real bad the street was nearly clear by the tim i got the driveway shoveled sat,  it was below freezing today for the most part but we had about 4 inches this time,  does make it a bit hard to get out and ride a green horse.

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »

We just got another blast last night.  Sean PLEASE be careful, I know you are driving @ night so you were out in the mess.  I don't want to see you on King 5 news!  Brian, you probably got more than we did.  I seem to be in a little pocket, everyone else gets 4" & I get 2" angry  It is great having poop freeze though, I can just chuck the cow pies over the bank (much easier on the back than forking it) & scrape chix poo with the shovel!  It's funny, when I toss the cow doo both cow & goat watch & hobble over the ice to see what I tossed each time!!  I always tell my husband that he is lucky I'm easily amused!! evil rolleyes  J

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »

we got more coming down this morning,  they're predicting 3-4 inches, and my 4x4 wont start this morning it is my work truck so i guess i better fix it snow or not Cry

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »

Well the school department just sent us an e-mail and and called to tell us that they are dismissing all the children before noon tomorrow in anticipation of the big storm predictions.
They said we should be hit by midafternoon tomorrow and another storm on sunday.
I guess its a good thing I just happend to buy some firewood and a new scrabble game.
Now I just need a good book to read.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »

Our schools were closed yesterday in anticipation of conditions getting worse as the day progressed..NOTHING!  The front was slower than expected & didn't come till mid evening. Our terrain is so complex that it's near impossible to accurately predict what will happen where. Today closed also, is a skating rink & some main roads closed.  Sposed to get into high 20's, woo hoo!  J

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 11:09:51 AM »

more snow sat.  some today, but it's still at about 32 so it's not to bad on the roads.  at least it thawed enough to run the water in the barn.  i hate dipping out of the stock tank!  i also hate running a tank heater over night.  i worry about barn fires like the on in that other post.

it's pretty!   cool

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »

Kathy, I'm with you about the barn fires, the thought terrifies me! I use a stock tank heater OUTSIDE in the daytime but have to share the outlet/timer w/chix light so I unplug the light when it gets light outside & plug in the heater. Then when it's dusk I switch. It deep freezes so seldomly that there usually isn't any conflict!

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »

We just got another blast last night.  Sean PLEASE be careful, I know you are driving @ night so you were out in the mess.  I don't want to see you on King 5 news!  Brian, you probably got more than we did.  I seem to be in a little pocket, everyone else gets 4" & I get 2" angry  It is great having poop freeze though, I can just chuck the cow pies over the bank (much easier on the back than forking it) & scrape chix poo with the shovel!  It's funny, when I toss the cow doo both cow & goat watch & hobble over the ice to see what I tossed each time!!  I always tell my husband that he is lucky I'm easily amused!! evil rolleyes  J

As of this morning we're at 10 inches and counting.  Every School district in Skagit County was Closed today and will most likely be tomorrow if the snow continues, as it is snowing right now.  With daytime temps in the 20s and more snow forecast for Friday and Saturday it looks like Christmas Break for the grandkids will most likely start early.  We're currently hawling hot water out to the animals.  It cools enough to be drinkable by the time we give it too them and what left is a black of ice an hour later so water is now a twice a day chore.

poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »

Yep, I know about hauling the water. I do have a rubber tub as emergency waterer for the chix. It is very flexible so when I walk by & kick it will break the ice... until it freezes solid of course! But then it's easy to dump & kick to get the block out. It drives me nuts not to be able to fiddle around outside...you don't realize how much time you do spend till it's too cold!  I have gone out 3x today to pester the cow!  She was fairly wild when I got her & now I can walk up & lay or fiddle with her if she is in the barn.  I take the halter on & off for no apparent reason & she gets treats. She comes running when I open the back door. Thinking I will be able to walk up to her & handle her out in the field by spring.  We only have 2-3" but it's been spitting all day & coming pretty good as I type.  I too love seeing all the wild birds. Varied Thrushes are back, they seem to go away when the Robins are here, love their calls. Many flickers here too as well as 2-3 of the smaller sapsucker types & pileated. Better get out & fill the feeders again! J

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next