Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 02, 2014, 01:08:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did You get Snow?  (Read 7852 times)
bailey
Field Bee

« on: December 11, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »

i live in Louisiana about 30 miles from JP. we have snow and so does JP!
it isn't really sticking on the ground much though! thank goodness.
i moved out of Arkansas 5 years ago to get away from this white crap!
Bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.
tillie
Super Bee

Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »

No snow in Atlanta so far, but we've had very strange weather for the last couple of days - wouldn't be surprised if that front that is going through Louisiana gets here and gives us some white stuff too.  We usually don't get snow in Atlanta (if at all) until late January, February.

Linda T in ATlanta

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You never can tell with bees" - Winnie the Pooh

Click for Atlanta, Georgia Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »

I wish we could get 50 feet of snow by morning so I can stay holed up at home and sleep for the next week.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:33:24 PM »

I wish we could get 50 feet of snow by morning so I can stay holed up at home and sleep for the next week.

Be careful of what you wish for you just might get it.  That much snow would last til May.  When I was in Japan (Hokaiddo) we'd get snow starting in September and it would still be there in May, it would compact into ice 10 feet thick.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »

Be careful of what you wish for you just might get it.  That much snow would last til May.  When I was in Japan (Hokaiddo) we'd get snow starting in September and it would still be there in May, it would compact into ice 10 feet thick.

Hmmm...I see your point.  How about 2.5 feet and I sleep for a day.   grin

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:15:53 AM »

living east of lake Michigan if they predict 3 - 5" we get 12.  All lake effect.  We have about 3+ ft on the ground now.  The deer in my fields look like dolphins when the try to run.  It takes alot for them to shut down schools for the day.  Monday and Tues were both snow days this week.  Sunday night we got 14" overnight.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:41:33 AM »

it's coming and it's going to be cold!!!!!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »

Yes, Becareful Bassman,,
Last years picks at my Ranch

Enough said.
F

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »

Its been 40-50 all week, this morning it was 36.
They say by this evening it could be down in the low 20's and we could see upto 14"

poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »

YUP YUP YUP, it's comin!  I don't think we will get that much snow but it is going to be cold.  Good thing is that the mud & ick by the barn & chix house will be frozen, clean shoes! grin  I gotta get going to get errands done & the animals/hoses etc ready for the cold!  That is the one pain, watering everyone when it's frozen.. angry  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »

Yes, Becareful Bassman,,
Last years picks at my Ranch

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

How much is that?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »

i pull the big rubbermaid tub up by the barn and fill it.  i can throw the tank heater in and dip water if i have to.  i know the water won't run up at the barn if it's that cold!!  i also have one of those immersion heaters and it works well to heat buckets of water for the horses.

i have been tempted to buy the heater buckets, but i just don't like having plugged in stuff in the stalls.....maybe i'll get over that with this cold snap  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »

We got our first snow this week. The kind I like, enough to make things pretty but not enough to have to shovel.
Just a touch to get in the Christmas spirit.
I like when it snows just around Christmas, like the night before and Christmas day.
Then I don't want to see it again until next year
I have a bad back though so I don't have a love for snow or shoveling, I know the kids love it though and I do like to see them playing in it and having fun.
I just can't wait until they are old enough to shovel it.  Wink
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 04:33:13 PM »

Did not take long for them to change their minds, went from upto 14" to maybe 1 - 2" slush.

BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 10:51:31 PM »

Nothing at all..... grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »

snow, wind, and dropping temps.  went to blanket the horses and had a heck of a time finding sizes to fit.  i own blankest from 64" to 82" but the arab doesn't fit anything in the chest, and my mare is either to fat, or grew to fit an 84"  oh well, she's in a a tight blanket and the arab is held together with bailing twine.  boy are they unhappy!  only one that doesn't mind is my old cutting horse.  blanket or no, he just doesn't care.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »

3" yesterday, 4" last night. Beautiful and sunny right now, but more one the way tomorrow. Its alright though, up here its all light and fluffy. So no worries. Looks like a marshmellow world.....We are going for a drive here in a few up to Brighton the ski resort to have a burger and look around. They have about 45" for a base up there.
It is georgeous this time of year.
F

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »

We got 2 1/2 inches last night while I was working.  Nothing like driving a gas tanker truck in 2" of snow in the northwest with a fever of 101 degrees!  The driving part isn't scary, I know my abilities.  It's the other idiots out there who don't know how to drive in the snow.  Here in the northwest it hardly snows and when it does just a tiny bit people freak and makes it scary for the truckers out there.  smiley  It's worse when you're sick!  I shouldn't have gone into work!!!!

Jody, how much did you guys get last night?  I need to go out and take pics of my hives with snow on them!

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »

Hey Bailey, I just now saw this post. We did get snow in Metairie, don't know how much but we got 8 inches in Brookhaven.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 07:05:48 PM »

JP, you brought Domo-kun back!  I miss that avatar. 

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next