Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 21, 2014, 05:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A beekeeper passes....  (Read 2444 times)
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »

I just thought I'd let everybody know that a member here passed on to his Heavenly home yesterday.

EOHenry,
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=profile;u=100
Henry Velzen, was taken yesterday after a relatively short battle with cancer.

He's only been a beekeeper for a few years, but was very enthusiastic about it.  But late last year he was diagnosed with bladder cancer.  In the spring, he had an aggressive surgery to remove and replace his bladder, and then chemotherapy most of the summer and fall.    However, he had a lot of intestinal problems after that, and then in the summer it was discovered that the cancer had actually spread to his intestines.  He wasn't able to eat, and was constantly weak from that and his chemo.  I really do marvel at his perserverance and trust in God during that time.

Throughout his trials he endured it with incredible selflessness.  He very much regretted that he was too weak to work with his bees, and would sit on the porch and watch while we worked on them.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to have worked with and helped this wonderful man and family, and his sons are interested in taking up his bees where he left off.

Say a prayer for his wonderful wife and family in their loss.

Rick

Rick
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:51 AM »

Rick I will say a prayer for his family and for you for the loss of your friend.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:44:10 AM »

Rick, my thoughts are with this family, and that is wonderful that his sons will take over where he left off with the bees, that was gracious of you to help them along too.  It is always sad when someone we know passes from our lives, we will always be grateful to have known them.  Have a most wonderful day, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:57:05 AM »

Dont forget to tell the bees their keeper has passed.....its an age old tradition...

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »

Oh, thats sad.....I remember him after I looked back at his posts...I cant remember anything usually, but I remember when we were all talking about the stethoscope..If you want to really experience something, go read his posts...Its like you'll be reading his diary.

your friend,
john

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »

May he rest in peace, he seemed like a good man.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »

Dont forget to tell the bees their keeper has passed.....its an age old tradition...
That's right, I remember reading that story in the back of Bee Culture, I think.  They have to be told.  How sad for the family - and while it's good his sons will continue with beekeeping, I know they'd rather have their dad at their sides working along with them.   Cry

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:53:09 PM »

Oh my,,,, My families prayers and thoughts are with you and his family. Cancer is so evil. I can't not believe that we cannot get a handle on it. Best of luck. I do remember the stethoscope posts.
All our love and blessings to you.
F

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:19:27 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Why do the bees have to be told when we pass away???

Annette
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 08:26:15 AM »

Annette, I can't remember the whole story, but I've been poking around the web with a few phrases, like 'Tell the Bees' and 'When a beekeeper dies', and have found references to it in the Slovenia Beekeeping Museum, and I've written to them to see if they can share the lore with us.  There's also a book that tells the 'vulgar superstitions' of beekeeping (hey, I think they're insulting us!  cheesy).  There was an article in Bee Culture a few years ago about the death of a beekeeper and having to go tell the bees.  I'll poke around in my stack of mags and see if I can't find it.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Why do the bees have to be told when we pass away???

Annette

The way I understand it is the following. Bees were often thought to have connection to the gods generally since they lived within mother earth. They swarm, make honey etc. This relationship continued even after beekeepers began to hive them in various contraptions. So when a beekeeper dies, tell the bees, so they can tell the gods while they fly and communicate with mother earth, so the beekeeper will have a better afterlife...

Annette, I can't remember the whole story, but I've been poking around the web with a few phrases, like 'Tell the Bees' and 'When a beekeeper dies', and have found references to it in the Slovenia Beekeeping Museum, and I've written to them to see if they can share the lore with us.  There's also a book that tells the 'vulgar superstitions' of beekeeping (hey, I think they're insulting us!  cheesy).  There was an article in Bee Culture a few years ago about the death of a beekeeper and having to go tell the bees.  I'll poke around in my stack of mags and see if I can't find it.
\

There was an article last year in ABJ I think.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »

I have heard that as well, but I also believe that I have heard you are suppose to tell the bees of marriage and births as well.
Bees are considered a part of the family.
I think I read that in a book in just the last few months, I will have to go back and check it out.
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »

I, too, will say a prayer for your friend and one for you as well. It is good that you are remembering him to all of us and reminding yourself of what it was in him that you admired.  He must have been a good man to have made an impression on you significant enough to share.  That is a true testament to his success in life.

Brian
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:27 PM »

"The way I understand it is the following. Bees were often thought to have connection to the gods generally since they lived within mother earth. They swarm, make honey etc. This relationship continued even after beekeepers began to hive them in various contraptions. So when a beekeeper dies, tell the bees, so they can tell the gods while they fly and communicate with mother earth, so the beekeeper will have a better afterlife"

I just love this version and will keep it. Thank you so much for the information.

Annette
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 05:09:36 AM »

The passing of a member is always sad and we try to pay tribute to them by locking their name so that no one else may ever use it, stop all forwarding emails which the member may have signed up with if they were following topics, etc., so not to bother their families if they share email accounts.

To Quote a member who is no longer with us, "God has another beekeeper to tend to the gardens in heaven!"

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »

The passing of a member is always sad and we try to pay tribute to them by locking their name so that no one else may ever use it, stop all forwarding emails which the member may have signed up with if they were following topics, etc., so not to bother their families if they share email accounts.
To Quote a member who is no longer with us, "God has another beekeeper to tend to the gardens in heaven!"

The beautiful things that go on behind the scenes in our forum, very special.  I love that this is taken up, and taken care of, thank you, our Moderators, that make this forum go around.  I know you all have your finger in this pie, doing so many things to make this that wonderful place where we are safe, taken care of -- and even if we go, our families are further more taken care of, in the way that John speaks of above, I take may hat off to you all -- again, and again, and again.  Have that wonderful, great day and life, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »

Amen Cindi, Well said.
Thanks to all that keep things going.
F

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »

Thats sad news, my first loss of a fellow beekeeper. My thoughts are with the family and friends.

Rick, you will miss your old mate, and what you did was a wonderful thing, I am sure you will treasure those memories.

"My girls are finally out flying around and even saw some pollen on some of them.  I am estatic"

EOHenry April 2008.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next