Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 06:02:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observation Hive Location  (Read 1086 times)
mherndon
House Bee

New Bee

« on: December 03, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »

I am having an observation hive built for use next Spring for school demos.  I don't think my wife would go for the idea of having one in our house.  I thought about putting it in an outbuilding where I keep tools and other things.  I just don't want the hive to be out in the weather.  The building is not heated though it gets pretty hot in the Summer.  Winter would be warm if the sun is shining.  Would this be a good location.  The hive will have 2 deeps and one medium frame.

Mark

Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »

mine is in the livingroom.  smiley.  you might be surprised.  your wife may find the observation hive fascinating.  i know my husband and i spend a lot of time just watching them.  someone on here has their observation hive in the bedroom!  can't remember who.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:58:55 PM »

You might be better off just maintaining a full hive and removing the frames to place into the OB hive as you need them. Personally I think the potential extremes in winter and summer under such conditions would not be a good thing.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:35:04 AM »

Especially if it is 1 frame wide, they don't have the area to cluster and keep warm when outside.  If you go with more than 1 frame wide that will improve thier chances, but also decrease the ability to watch what goes on in there.

I keep mine in my den, and it is worth watching all winter long.  I've only had about 5 bees loose in 3 years.  And that is with 5 kids under the age of 12. 

Although I did end up with a quart of 2:1 syrup with HBH smashed on the carpet Sad  But that is another story...

Rick

Rick
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »

If you do just pull frames from a full hive as you need them for the observation hive, I would leave the queen in the hive. Having a queen in an OB already is one thing, but putting frames in an OB and then moving it around has the potential for shifting frames, and damaged queens. 

You can always mark a few drones, and have the kids pick out the "boy" bees.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »

i let my OB hive make a queen.  that was fun.  the kids would get a kick out of watching that, i bet.  then you could use it for a new hive.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:38:16 AM »

I think Kathy is right, you will be surprised. I put our OB hive in the house and within a week my wife loved it. She has now become my best beek buddy. We work the hives together and she calls them her girls now that she has had a chance to watch them work the OB hive. She loves it when she gets a chance to see the brood emerge!!!
Just set it up in the house and let her warm up to the idea. Just don't let her know that I told you to do so!!
Best of luck
F

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »

I'm still working on my wife to let me get one Smiley

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »

It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission... Wink  Once they see the new little bees emerging they will be hooked..they're soooooo cuuuuttteeee! Oh, & it wouldn't hurt to have the kids name some.. grin  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 10:16:13 AM »

It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission... Wink  Once they see the new little bees emerging they will be hooked..they're soooooo cuuuuttteeee! Oh, & it wouldn't hurt to have the kids name some.. grin  J
I keep telling her that the grandkid's would love it grin

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »

I think Kathy is right, you will be surprised. I put our OB hive in the house and within a week my wife loved it. She has now become my best beek buddy. We work the hives together and she calls them her girls now that she has had a chance to watch them work the OB hive. She loves it when she gets a chance to see the brood emerge!!!
Just set it up in the house and let her warm up to the idea. Just don't let her know that I told you to do so!!
Best of luck
F

Frantz, clean out your mailbox.  I tried to PM you and got the dread "Undeliverable, Mail box full" notice.  I was trying to find out if you'd shipped the OB Hive yet.  I'll be setting mine up on the sun porch.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next